News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Who lives the closest to a numbered highway?

Started by bugo, August 12, 2014, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

My front door is about 250 feet from the median of I-44/OK 66.  Does anybody live closer to a highway?  Does anybody live closer to a *major* highway?

hotdogPi

384 feet from MA 110 (not closer, but still very close)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on August 12, 2014, 03:45:53 PM
My front door is about 250 feet from the median of I-44/OK 66.  Does anybody live closer to a highway?  Does anybody live closer to a *major* highway?

Is road noise a problem?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Brandon

That beats me.  I'm over a mile in any one direction (closest is about 1.1 miles).  However, none of them (IL-7, US-30, US-52, I-55) are over 2 miles from me.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadgeek Adam

Define numbered highway. I live on partially-signed Middlesex County Route 676 and the center line is <10ft from my front lawn. I live 0.19 miles from NJ 27 and .31 miles from CR 514.
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

Zeffy

Does US 206 count as a "major" highway? If so, I live less than a 1/4 of a mile away from 206. But looking at what you live by, I'm guessing you want highways with high traffic counts at any time of the day.

EDIT: Misread title, but I still live very close to a numbered highway.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

roadman

Growing up in Lynn (MA), from the front door of my parent's house, it was about a 560 foot walk to MA Route 107/Western Avenue.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

agentsteel53

I once lived 4 blocks from US 64/87 in northeast NM. 

also, less than one block from what may have been US-101W (Ingraham Street in San Diego) but I cannot verify this.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

spooky

I live about a half mile from MA 3, but grew up about 250 feet from RI 4.

pianocello

My dorm this next year is about 400 feet from SR 130, and my house is almost exactly a mile away from I-80.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

US71

Currently half a mile to US 271

In college, I lived for 3 years on US 71B

One year, I lived on Spur 112, a third of a mile from US 71 (before it was 540 or 49).

Another time, I was 1/4 mile from AR 16 :)

Growing up, we lived for 5 years on AR 45
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

The Nature Boy

I-95 practically ran through my backyard as a kid. We didn't get a soundwall for my neighborhood so it was always a constant noise.

Arkansastravelguy

Jardine

The closest point of my house (the SW corner) is 68 feet from the center line of a 2 lane state highway.  When the house was built it was a dirt road, so if it is violating a standard of some kind, it was grandfathered.

We get some road noise and vibration from trucks.

maplestar

About 425 feet to the median of I-264 with some three-story buildings shielding us from any road noise

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2014, 03:54:27 PM

Is road noise a problem?

I am used to it.  I listen to music a lot, and at night I turn both my bedside fan and the air conditioner fan on so it's not too bad.

freebrickproductions

It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

andrewkbrown

I'm about 300-400 feet laterally and 120 feet vertically from US 1 south of Alexandria.
Firefighter/Paramedic
Washington DC Fire & EMS

sammi

I live about 100 m from Yonge St / York RR 1 / Old ON-11. If that doesn't count (because old alignments don't count sometimes), the 407 is about 3 km away.

vdeane

I was just 215 feet away from US 11 my freshmen year in college.  A couple people I knew had an apartment 150 feet off US 11.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

briantroutman

My front door is almost exactly the same distance from the outside lane of a 10-lane freeway section of US 101–AADT is about 170,000.

Pete from Boston

I'm a block and a half from one state highway, half a block from another.  Neither is as interesting as when I lived a few dozen yards from the Mass Pike. 

TheStranger

When I was in college, I lived on old US 40/99W in Davis so that placed me approximately 200-300 feet from I-80's westbound lanes.
Chris Sampang

oscar

I live about 800 feet north of US 50, a little more west from VA 120, and about 1.1 mile south of I-66.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

vtk

My house is adjacent to a township highway that has a number on the street blade where it intersects the county road, about 1/6 mile away. It's about 3/4 mile away from a state route, a US route, and an Interstate.

At The Ohio State University, I lived about 1/2 mile from OH 315, a freeway. I walked to construction projects along it and I-670.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.