News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Who lives the closest to a numbered highway?

Started by bugo, August 12, 2014, 03:45:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

I live about 900 ft from CT 10.  My dad grew up in a house on CT 10.  When I lived in Philly, I was 2 blocks from US 13 and PA 3
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Mike_OH

I'm approx. 280 ft. from US 22 and OH 3 and 0.1 miles from OH 561, according to Google Maps.

tidecat

Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

SSOWorld

0.5 mi from the nearest highway.  That is all.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

PHLBOS

Prior to my move to PA in 1990; I lived right along MA 114 in Marblehead.

Since October of 1990, I've resided along along SR 2017.

During 3 of my 4 college years when I lived on campus, which was located along RI 114; the northern end was located along RI 136.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hotdogPi

Quote from: PHLBOS on August 19, 2014, 08:47:24 AM
Since October of 1990, I've resided along along SR 2017.

Are you going to stay there for at least another 3 years? Then the route number will match the year.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

geocachingpirate

As the crow flies, I'm about 1000 feet from US 421 and Interstate 40 is less than 2 miles away.
Dave Thompson (Facebook poster on The Charlotte Observer)-
"They should have a ceremonial opening at which all employees of the NCDOT must wear paper bags over their heads."

golden eagle

I'm about a mile from I-55. When I lived in an apartment complex in suburban Atlanta, I-85 was practically in my backyard.

DeaconG

I live about 3600 feet from I-95, late in the evenings when it's quiet I can hear the traffic in my den.

When I lived in Maryland I lived a thousand feet away from both the John Hanson Hwy and the Metrorail Orange Line.  Got to hear both quite a bit on the weekend nights.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Laura

I live on decommissioned MD 148 and about 3/10 of a mile from US 1.

JMoses24

oldparoadgeek

I live about 250 feet from US 22    and about a mile from I-83   and 1-1/2 miles from I-81

Greybear

I live roughly 0.5 miles from I-30/US 67 in Greenville, TX

yanksfan6129

Chris

3217 miles from Interstate 95 in Maine. That's the closest Interstate Highway to me.

NWI_Irish96

For a while during my childhood, my front door was about 20 feet from US 6, and there have to be thousands of houses in towns and cities all over the country that are the same 20 or so feet from a highway. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

MikeTheActuary

100 meters from the interchange of CT 20 and CT 401, with an address on the prior alignment of CT 20.

Why traffic noise is a secondary consideration at this location is left as an exercise for the reader.  :)

mjb2002

I am about 528 feet from DUNBARTON RD, which is SC 39.

I am 0.8 miles from the nearest major highway, US 78, and more than 2 miles away from another major highway, US 278.  I am 18 miles away from US 301, and 25 miles away from Interstate 20.

Jim

I've always lived at least a few blocks from the nearest numbered highway, so I'm not going to "win". 

But I wonder, do any of those buildings over I-95 as is crosses the northern end of Manhattan serve as residences?  In that case, if we throw out the third dimension, they would "win" at a distance of 0.  If not there, there must be some places where that happens.  Candidates that come to mind don't have residences above the highway that I know of.  The ones off the top of my head are the Mass Pike outside Boston where there's the supermarket and a hotel above the highway, and some park land above I-90 on Mercer Island, WA.  Is all of the land now above the Big Dig in the footprint of the former Central Artery just park land?
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

froggie

QuoteI've always lived at least a few blocks from the nearest numbered highway, so I'm not going to "win". 

So far, it seems I win in the "opposite direction".  Of the responses thus far, I'm the farthest away.

QuoteIs all of the land now above the Big Dig in the footprint of the former Central Artery just park land?

Most of it is park land or street, yes.  But there's a new development now (The Victor Apartments) at the corner of Beverly St and Valenti Way (across from The Garden) that appears to be partially on top of the southbound tunnel.

pianocello

Quote from: Jim on September 12, 2014, 10:08:41 PM
But I wonder, do any of those buildings over I-95 as is crosses the northern end of Manhattan serve as residences?  In that case, if we throw out the third dimension, they would "win" at a distance of 0.  If not there, there must be some places where that happens.

The tunnels in Pittsburgh come to mind. It looks like there are neighborhoods on top of the mountains that the Squirrel Hill, Ft. Pitt, and Liberty Tunnels go through.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

xcellntbuy

When I lived in upstate New York, I lived about 1/3 mile from US 9 in Columbia County.  When I completed my move from Coral Springs, FL to Milledgeville, GA, I moved to a new home about twice the distance (about 1 mile vs. 2 miles) from the exact same US highway, US 441, but the homes are 582 miles apart from each other.

KG909

I live like 2 or 3 miles off old US 66, now CA 66
~Fuccboi

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Chris on September 11, 2014, 03:58:16 AM
3217 miles from Interstate 95 in Maine. That's the closest Interstate Highway to me.

I'm 33 miles further from that point :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cpzilliacus

Silver Spring place - about 535 feet to U.S. 29.
About 1500 feet to Md. 200.

Edgewater place - about 1870 feet to Md. 253.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.