News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Some Cool Street/Road/Highway/Freeway NAMES

Started by yanksfan6129, March 06, 2009, 11:18:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luokou

SW Why Worry Lane, Beaverton OR. i used to live on this street! There's also a Cheshire Rd and Mad Hatter Lane in the same neighbourhood. Also, as kind of a WTF moment, in West Linn off of OR-43, is Chow Mein Lane. X3

Bryant5493

Boulevard NE/SE - Atlanta, GA

Parkway Drive NE - Atlanta, GA

Tom Murphy Freeway/Ralph David Abernathy Freeway/Purple Heart Highway/Carl Sanders Highway (I-20) - Georgia
(Ralph David Abernathy Freeway is the only name, to my knowledge, consistently signed on the I-20 corridor.)

Evander Holyfield Highway (SR 279) - Fayette County, GA

Tuskegee Airman Parkway (Camp Creek Parkway/SR 6) - Fulton County, GA

Easy Street - Clayton County, GA, east-southeast of Riverdale

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Duke87

New York also has some good ones. In The Bronx, there's Faile Street, and the next block over is Hoe Avenue. In Brooklyn, there's Force Tube Avenue. In Queens, there's Arlene Fuchs Katz Drive. In Staten Island, there's Fingerboard Road.
And in Manhattan, you can get off the subway at Dyckman Street, walk west a block and make a right on Seaman Avenue, and then walk another block and make another right on Cumming Street. Really.
The intersection of the latter two become world famous several years back when someone posted a picture of the street sign on the internet...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

SSOWorld

a street in (i believe) Pennsylvania called Fail Blvd

and a street nowhere near there (in Verona, WI) named Epic Lane

EPIC FAIL!  :-D
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Revive 755

There's an Olive Street Road in St. Louis County, MO.  I think it used to be longer, but part of it was renamed to Olive Boulevard.

DrZoidberg

I've always liked the nickname "The Orange Cursh Interchange" in Orange, CA.
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

PAHighways

PennDOT Drive (SR 1073) - Greensburg, PA which connects US 30 and Donohoe Road (SR 1026) at Westmoreland Mall

The District 12-6 office is not located directly on it, but rather a few yards down Donohoe from the terminus.

74/171FAN

DMV Dr in Richmond, VA- one of the many connectors from US 33/US 250(Broad St) to Leigh St- this one is actually just one block east of the science museum
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mapman

Monterey, CA also has a Dickman Avenue.

Treat Boulevard in Concord, CA.

Reindollar Avenue in Marina, CA.

Penny Lane in Watsonville, CA.

Daubenbiss Avenue in Soquel, CA.

Suburbia Avenue in Santa Cruz, CA.

algorerhythms

Seldom Seen Road in Allegany County, MD.
There's also another Street Road in Maryland (in fact, it passes under I-68, and the sign at the bridge amuses me every time I drive by.)

Bryant5493

St. Lo Lane - S. Fulton County, Ga.

Joan of Arc Place - N. Clayton County, Ga.

Louis XIV Lane - S. Fulton County, Ga.

Roses of Picardy - N. Clayton County, Ga.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Duke87

QuoteTreat Boulevard in Concord, CA.

There's a Treat Avenue in Stamford, CT (little residential side street northeast of downtown, easily missed).
"Treat" is likely someone's last name.

And, speaking of Stamford... you know how an awful lot of towns in the past few decades have renamed a street after Martin Luther King? Well, Stamford never did, although we have, completely independent of each other and unrelated, a "Martin Street", a "Luther Street", and a "King Street". All have likely had those names since before he was born.

Another quirk of Stamford is that it does not have any numbered streets in the purest sense, but does have a "First Street", "Second Street", "Third Street", etc. - up through "Eighth Street" (as opposed to "1st", "2nd", etc. the way it's done everywhere else I've ever seen it). Maybe writing the whole word out makes it fancier or something, I dunno.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Voyager

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

ComputerGuy

Marysville has a "Front Street" and then a 1st Street...

Not even a mile out of Downtown, 4th Street suddenly becomes 64th Street.

We have 15th Street than 47th Avenue.

BigMattFromTexas

i like the name Houston Harte Expressway

tdindy88

Fishers, Indiana as well has an Easy Street. On the Marion/Hamilton County line 96th Street turns briefly the south to avoid running into 465 and it becomes Real Street. Downtown Indy as a small street named 40 & 8 Street, for some reason.

BigMattFromTexas

Chris

Troost Avenue in Kansas City.

It's Dutch and it means "comfort, or consolation" in English, but it sounds funny

exit322

One of the places I grew up (parents still live there) was on West Rambo Street in Danville, OH.  Football field's on East Tough Street, too.

Mind you, the 'Rambo' part is funny enough (I believe the name predates the movies)...but Danville has "East" and "West" for most their streets that travel that direction, even though the village has 1,050 people.

The village also has 'South' and 'North' Streets...but North Street (which is nondirectional) is well south of South Street (which is directional, so there's an East South Street and a West South Street).  The reason can be explained by the history of the village; it used to be three towns - South Street was the southernmost street in Rossville (I believe), while North Street was the northernmost street in Buckeye City.  Regardless...South Street is north (by about a half-mile, which is significant in a town of 1,050) of North Street.

mahaasma

florida

So many roads...so little time.

74/171FAN

Beach Rd in Chesterfield, VA(over 75 miles from the oceanfront)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

mightyace

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 30, 2009, 03:22:11 PM

I'd say there's a good chance someone meant the Beech tree and it was misspelled.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

74/171FAN

QuoteQuote from: 74/171FAN on Today at 03:22:11 PM

I'd say there's a good chance someone meant the Beech tree and it was misspelled.
There's a place called Beach on the Richmond inset of the VDOT Map along Beach Rd but I could still see the Beech tree mistake.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.