News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Breezewood-type situations

Started by ftballfan, October 19, 2011, 10:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheStranger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on October 19, 2011, 10:57:39 PM
San Francisco on US-101 is the main example I can think of.

Would you say Route 1 on 19th Avenue/Park Presidio Boulevard fits this?

Though not really a case of it, a similar situation to what you describe for US 101 (though not created by a freeway cancellation) was US 40 between the Tower Bridge and the 16th Street Bridge in Sacramento in the 1950s - where the sections between the two were all city street.
Chris Sampang

thenetwork

Canton, OH:  US 62 from SR-43 to about Harmont Avenue.   

When you exit off of I-77, heading east on US-62, you are cruising at a decent speed up the hill past the Cleveland Avenue and SR-43/Market Street exits on a 60/65 MPH freeway, then about two miles of stop-and-go along a 5-lane throughfare (Atlantic Blvd. -- 35 MPH???), then back to a divided highway expressway all the way to Alliance at 60/65 again.

I gotta think that US-62 in Ohio has been treated as the ugly red-headed stepchild over the decades as there has been so many short expressway/freeway segments of US-62 that were never really completed and/or connected.

myosh_tino

How about US 50 around Placerville, CA?  It's a 4-lane freeway on either side of Placerville but drops to what I would consider a boulevard going through town complete with traffic signals.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Interstate Trav

CA Ca 14 North entering Mojave, it goes from 70 mph divded freeway to 35 mph Street in Mojave.

Also in Moopark, where Ca 23 and 118 meet, each one becomes a freeway in one direction and turns into a street in the other.

newyorker478

Quote from: NE2 on October 20, 2011, 03:26:48 AM
Key West on I-95.

Not on I-95, rather on US 1. I-95 terminates over 100 miles to the north in Miami.

NE2

Quote from: newyorker478 on October 22, 2011, 09:28:22 AM
Quote from: NE2 on October 20, 2011, 03:26:48 AM
Key West on I-95.

Not on I-95, rather on US 1. I-95 terminates over 100 miles to the north in Miami.

What about the extension to Cuba?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Stephane Dumas

We count also add US-30 and I-75 in Beaverdam OH as well as US-35 and I-71.

In Canada there no freeway link between A-5 and TCH-417 in Ottawa.
BC-99 got to surface streets in Vancouver to reach the freeway gap of TCH-1.

ethanman62187

I like all of this. I like va sr 28 to be an interstate highway.

Bickendan

Yes, we know. It's called 'Breezewood', hence the thread's title.

I'll nominate Wyoming's I-180 :bigass:

Brandon

Quote from: Bickendan on October 22, 2011, 03:19:38 PM
Yes, we know. It's called 'Breezewood', hence the thread's title.

I'll nominate Wyoming's I-180 :bigass:

I-180 Wyoming is all Breezewood, baby, start to finish.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

roadman65

I would say that from I-10 EB to I-55 near New Orleans and from I-55 SB to WB I-10 counts.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

yakra

Brunswick. Even sounds kinda familiar, phonetically speaking.
There's a US1 freeway going out one end, and a freeway-grade connector to I-95 -- I-295, excuse me -- on the other.
And in between, 3 traffic lights in a bit > a mile on Pleasant Street. Which is not.

Post Merge: October 24, 2011, 01:30:22 PM

Quote from: PennDOTFan on October 20, 2011, 09:03:12 PM
If it counts, the Garden State Parkway in Cape May Court House (exits 9-11) acts sort of like a boulevard. Exits 9-11 are at-grade with traffic signals.
How about CT9 in Middletown?
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

Takumi

VA 150 in Richmond has a segment between the Forest Hill and VA 147 exits with at-grade intersections and a couple signals.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

mgk920

US 10 drops from a rural freeway/expressway to a surface four-lanes through a commercial strip (three signalized intersections) before it reaches I-39 from the east in Stevens Point, WI.  US 10 then enters I-39, which it follows to its new Stevens Point west bypass freeway/Wisconsin River crossing towards Marshfield, WI.  WisDOT has firm plans to bypass that street section of US 10 with an east bypass freeway, connecting to I-39 with a full-speed interchange, but it is waiting on funding.

Mike

roadman65

What about I-74 transforming into Speedway Boulevard at I-465 near Indianapolis.  It drops from a freeway to arterial through a tight cloverleaf. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mukade

Quote from: roadman65 on October 22, 2011, 09:11:27 PM
What about I-74 transforming into Speedway Boulevard at I-465 near Indianapolis.  It drops from a freeway to arterial through a tight cloverleaf. 
It is in final stages of construction, but when done, it will not anymore. Coming in from the west, I-74 meets and joins I-465. It does not continue east. Crawfordsville Road is now a separate interchange off I-465.

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on October 22, 2011, 08:30:06 PM
I would say that from I-10 EB to I-55 near New Orleans and from I-55 SB to WB I-10 counts.

In that case, a situation exists for SB I-55 to SB-294 as well.  One is required to exit at US-12/20/45 SB to get to I-294 SB.  No traffic lights between the two though.

As for the Edens Junction (I-90 EB to I-94 WB and I-94 EB to I-90 WB), one is required to use surface streets with signals.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Bickendan

Well, in that vein, you have CA 57 SB to CA 60 EB and the reverse.

Scott5114

Quote from: Bickendan on October 22, 2011, 03:19:38 PM
:bigass:

The thought that you think this emoticon exists slightly terrifies me!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bickendan

Revive 755

Several in Missouri:

* US 36 at I-35 - Seems MoDOT had been studying a fix for this one at one time.

* US 54 at I-70 - US 54 is a 70 mph expressway on either side of I-70, but drops to 45 with traffic lights at I-70.  A bypass was considering during the I-70 improvement studies, but was heavily opposed by the services at the interchange.

* MO 179 at US 50 in Jefferson City

* US 50 just east of US 54 in Jefferson City

* MO 13 at I-44 in Springfield - The 65 mph expressway conks out a little short of I-44

* MO 465 at US 65 north of Branson - sure there's no stoplights here yet, but I'm sure one will sprout someday.

* MO 210 just east of I-29/35 - two stoplights and one partial cloverleaf short of a full freeway to freeway connection

* US 169 at I-35/70

Dr Frankenstein

Autoroute 5 is a freeway until it crosses the border into Ontario, where it becomes a busy and convulted 30 km/h boulevard (the speed later changes to 40 km/h) in downtown Ottawa, about one kilometre from a full freeway-to-artery interchange in Gatineau, about 2 or 3 kilometres from a partial freeway-to-freeway interchange.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: ftballfan on October 19, 2011, 10:27:40 PM
I'm sure everyone on here has heard of Breezewood (PA), but I can think of at least one city that acts like Breezewood.

I can think of two:

In Florida, where the Turnpike and I-95 "separate" for the last time (going north) at Fort Pierce, there's a Breezewood-style connection via Fla. 70 between the Pike and 95.

In Bellmawr, New Jersey, there's no connection at all between the mainline of the Turnpike and I-76/N.J. 42 except via N.J. 168 (Turnpike Exit 3) and I-295.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Scott5114

Quote from: ethanman62187 on October 22, 2011, 01:26:01 PM
I70 has some traffic lights.

Hey, guys, Breezewood is shaped like itself!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.