News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interesting stuff

Started by Some_Person, October 23, 2012, 06:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

agentsteel53

interesting.  it looks like the aerial camera took three separate black and white photos, using three filters, and combined them to make a single color photo.

the plane moved slightly between each photo, as planes tend to do.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2012, 12:05:47 AM
Also a thing to note that Rhode Island has no 3 digit US routes within its borders.

I was thinking about US 395 in CA as it really does transit on its top segment and another thing about it is the fact that because it enters Nevada in the middle, US 281 has to hold the title of the longest three digit route within a state.  California is longer than Texas if you go north to south as I-5 is longer in mileage in the Golden State than I-35 is in the Lone Star State.   I believe that in the early days when US 395 went all the way to San Diego, if it never entered Nevada, US 395 would be the longest 3 digit to be within one state then.

does US-101 count as a three-digit?  I believe its original routing was just shy of 1000 miles in California, before various curves were straightened.  before the decommissioning of the southern segment in 1966, it was about 935.

that said, if you want to measure the height of Texas, US-83 is far more accurate a representation than I-35.

jake@aaroads.com

kkt

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 04, 2012, 12:44:49 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on October 27, 2012, 12:05:47 AM
Also a thing to note that Rhode Island has no 3 digit US routes within its borders.

I was thinking about US 395 in CA as it really does transit on its top segment and another thing about it is the fact that because it enters Nevada in the middle, US 281 has to hold the title of the longest three digit route within a state.  California is longer than Texas if you go north to south as I-5 is longer in mileage in the Golden State than I-35 is in the Lone Star State.   I believe that in the early days when US 395 went all the way to San Diego, if it never entered Nevada, US 395 would be the longest 3 digit to be within one state then.

does US-101 count as a three-digit?  I believe its original routing was just shy of 1000 miles in California, before various curves were straightened.  before the decommissioning of the southern segment in 1966, it was about 935.

that said, if you want to measure the height of Texas, US-83 is far more accurate a representation than I-35.

US-101 counts as two digits.  It's not a branch of US-1, it's the 2-digit route west of US-99.

Alps

Quote from: roadman65 on December 03, 2012, 04:35:29 PM
How about this. Google Satellite not only capturing I-190 in Illinois here, but a jet plane flying over the Westbound lanes just south of a parking lot in between I-190 and its parent to the north.
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Countryside,+IL&hl=en&ll=41.985095,-87.857924&spn=0.004035,0.009345&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=9.834914,19.138184&oq=coun&t=h&hnear=Countryside,+Cook,+Illinois&z=17
Now that I look at that - pan to the left. What's causing that next shadow?  :confused: :paranoid: :crazy:

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on December 04, 2012, 04:43:02 PM

Now that I look at that - pan to the left. What's causing that next shadow?  :confused: :paranoid: :crazy:

do you mean the overpass?  if so, the unusual shadow has to do with the road and the railroad tracks all being elevated above the north-south road.

jake@aaroads.com

Roadsguy

Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Alps

empirestate

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 04, 2012, 05:19:52 PM
He means this, I think.

Could be the same plane, seconds later. These orthoimages are typically mosaics of several different scenes, so it wouldn't be out of the question for a shadow to appear in an image, cast by an object that has been cropped out of the picture.

As for the color blur on the plane itself, I wish I could recall where I read an article that explains exactly this phenomenon...

agentsteel53

Quote from: empirestate on December 04, 2012, 08:37:24 PM

As for the color blur on the plane itself, I wish I could recall where I read an article that explains exactly this phenomenon...

http://egsc.usgs.gov/isb/pubs/booklets/aerial/aerial.html

while this link does not make it explicit, it seems to imply that RGB images are produced by taking three black-and-white film shots, as color film is more affected by atmospheric haze.

jake@aaroads.com

Some_Person

Here's something I don't ever think I've seen before, an at grade train track on an otherwise limited access freeway: http://goo.gl/maps/dT597 US 322 & US 22 in Lewistown PA

Big John

Quote from: Some_Person on December 08, 2012, 01:47:23 PM
Here's something I don't ever think I've seen before, an at grade train track on an otherwise limited access freeway: http://goo.gl/maps/dT597 US 322 & US 22 in Lewistown PA
There are a couple on US 151 by Waupun and Beaver Dam, WI.  But there were more prior to crossings being removed at the Madison Beltline (more recent) and US 41 (1980s and 1090s).

Roadsguy

Also on US 322 at Hummelstown, PA. OSM shows the freeway ending there, but I'm not sure whether or not it's correct. (I say it ends a bit to the west at the first real intersection.)
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

NE2

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 08, 2012, 05:32:39 PM
Also on US 322 at Hummelstown, PA. OSM shows the freeway ending there, but I'm not sure whether or not it's correct.
I'm not sure there is a 'correct'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

For a long while NY 17 had a grade crossing near Middletown, NY where the rest  of this highway from Harriman to Liberty was a continuous freeway (or still may be if NYSDOT did not eliminate those at grade signalized intersections near there).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadfro

Railroad Pass on US 93/US 95 (just south of the end of I-515), which is limited access. Used to have tracks in the road for the rail line spur that went through Boulder City for the construction of Hoover Dam. The tracks in the pavement are long gone (likely when I-515 was designated, if not before), but the railroad crossing signals are still there (with "exempt" plaques) for posterity.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vtk

I think we already had a thread about RR crossings on freeways.  Too lazy to dig for it, though...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

roadman65

I know this is trivial, but I cannot help find it interesting that I-99 literally does not connect to any other interstate. We all know the two Breezewoods at both current terminuses, and soon it will be remedied at the I-80 end, hopefully.  FHWA obviously has a technicality that allows it to be considered connected to the three other interstates it interchanges with spite its direct ramp connections.

Sheryl Crowe

Mr_Northside

Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2012, 09:26:01 AM
I know this is trivial, but I cannot help find it interesting that I-99 literally does not connect to any other interstate. We all know the two Breezewoods at both current terminuses, and soon it will be remedied at the I-80 end, hopefully. FHWA obviously has a technicality that allows it to be considered connected to the three other interstates it interchanges with spite its direct ramp connections.

I think that technicality is that the designation was written into law.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

Roadsguy

Besides, we all know about the extension to I-86 in upstate NY.

Do they still want to extend it down to I-68?

PurdueBill

I find it interesting on I-76 EB approaching Akron's central interchange that there are consecutive overheads in 2003 reflective, 90s button copy, and 2010 Clearview for the exit for OH 8 NB.  They all have recent Clearview-based exit tabs with the yellow LEFT field (thankfully in FHWA lettering), and the Clearview tabs replaced three button copy tabs (yes, the reflective 2003 sign kept a 90s or older button-copy tab even).  No nearby exit offers such variety.

Alps

Quote from: Roadsguy on December 12, 2012, 07:57:43 PM
Besides, we all know about the extension to I-86 in upstate NY.

Do they still want to extend it down to I-68?
Died. I'm sure it's eventually going to happen, but not for 30 years or so.

roadman65

Quote from: Mr_Northside on December 12, 2012, 02:52:02 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on December 12, 2012, 09:26:01 AM
I know this is trivial, but I cannot help find it interesting that I-99 literally does not connect to any other interstate. We all know the two Breezewoods at both current terminuses, and soon it will be remedied at the I-80 end, hopefully. FHWA obviously has a technicality that allows it to be considered connected to the three other interstates it interchanges with spite its direct ramp connections.

I think that technicality is that the designation was written into law.
I guess you do have the point!  I forgot that I-99 is not your typical interstate. 

Although, I think if I-99 was designated the proper way, being that I-176 did not directly connect its parent at one time, and would be one to be considered literally to NOT connect with the rest of the system; I am sure they would have allowed it.  Maybe, not use the number 99, but a 3 digit spur of I-70 or I-80.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadsguy

I'd number it 686 or 868. :sombrero:

Neither of which have a 3di that I can think of.

roadman65

I wonder if they will ever drop US 220?  With both I-99 and I-73 taking over parts of its corridor, it would seem logical to do so, especially in PA.  US 220 north of Williamsport could become PA 220, as most would not even notice the change in designation anyway.  Between Roanoke and Cumberland, it would not be that much to keep it as it would remain independent of any other through highway.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

It would be logical, but I don't think PA will do it.  They're not even planning to truncate US 15, which will be entirely superseded.

As for I-99, I think it's current length if too long for a 3di, but if we could break it up, I'd do the following:
-Current I-99: I-x80
-US 220 west of Williamsport: extension of I-180
-US 15: I-486

Or, I just had another thought enter my head:
-Current I-99: same as above
-US 220 west of Williamsport: I-280
-US 15: extension of I-180
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.