News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Interesting stuff

Started by Some_Person, October 23, 2012, 06:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mdcastle

Some Minnesota state highways contain stretches where the general public is not allowed to drive on, short routes serving state prisons and the security hospital. A couple I got pictures of the actual terminus years ago before they were gated off, and MN 289 I just too a picture as far as I could go before it's blocked by a fence.

Although probably well known here  there, are a number of "secret" unsigned routes the 800A series which are short stubs, usually less than a block, and the 900A series which are routes for turnback which have had their numbers stripped off in the field, but not removed from the trunk highway system. Robert Street, MN 952A is the most prominant example.

MN 197 no one, not even Mn/DOT apparently knows where the number came from. I asked them and the district went as far as too ask some of the old timers around the office if they knew. It's not the legislative route number and is a lot higher than the series assigned arbitrarily that ends in the 120s. Aside from someone lost to history who happened to like that number, the only thing I can think is numbers 201 and 202 were former short sections through business districts, so maybe the thinking was to assign a number near them (200 was already used), but why not 198 or 199 or 203 I don't know.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on February 14, 2013, 10:55:02 AM
I was noticing that on I-295 southbound near Wilmington, DE that there is a bridge over nothing just before it crosses US 13 & US 40 (WB).  It is seen on Google from the air and on street view as well.

It is obvious that there was another road that was to be built here that never got off the ground just in the same manner as I-69 intersecting both I-65 and I-70 in Indianapolis where you have a bridge over nothing as Indy killed the plans for I-69 entering the 464 loop,

Actually, the overpass you're referring to truly did have a road under it at one point.  There used to be a ramp from US 13 South to I-295 North that went under this overpass, and met up with 295 North to become the left-most lane over the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

The ramp was removed and replaced with an unsignalized left turn across US 13 North, leading traffic onto the ramp from US 40 East to I-295 North instead.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 04, 2013, 08:50:51 AM
I was noticing that on I-295 southbound near Wilmington, DE that there is a bridge over nothing just before it crosses US 13 & US 40 (WB).  It is seen on Google from the air and on street view as well.

It is obvious that there was another road that was to be built here that never got off the ground just in the same manner as I-69 intersecting both I-65 and I-70 in Indianapolis where you have a bridge over nothing as Indy killed the plans for I-69 entering the 464 loop,

Actually, the overpass you're referring to truly did have a road under it at one point.  There used to be a ramp from US 13 South to I-295 North that went under this overpass, and met up with 295 North to become the left-most lane over the Delaware Memorial Bridge.

The ramp was removed and replaced with an unsignalized left turn across US 13 North, leading traffic onto the ramp from US 40 East to I-295 North instead.

Try this Bing Maps "Bird's Eye view" of that interchange. You can clearly see both the stub ramp and the newer left turn.

If you view that spot on HistoricAerials.com and choose the 1970 image, you'll see the old configuration. (I'd link it but for some reason it's balking when I click on "Share.")
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

empirestate

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2013, 01:00:21 PM
If you view that spot on HistoricAerials.com and choose the 1970 image, you'll see the old configuration. (I'd link it but for some reason it's balking when I click on "Share.")

Google Earth historical imagery shows the change between 2002 and 2005. Also, grading and pavement stubs seem to appear for a new loop ramp; I assume this was temporarily built and used during the interchange reconstruction?

jeffandnicole

The ramp stub '95 referred to was the old 295 South to US 13/40 South/West ramp.  It was rebuilt as a very sharp right turn, then a fairly sharp left turn.  The right turn has tricked many motorists, which in turn spin out or wind up on the grassy median.  A large lighted right arrow and 'Your Speed' box have since been installed to advise motorists as they approach the 35 mph curve. 

From the attached link, I can't see any visible evidence of the old ramp, other than the overpass.

1995hoo

No, the stub and the overpass appear, based on looking at HistoricAerials.com, to be the old ramp from southbound US-13 to northbound I-295. I finally got the "Share" button to work. Seems it was error on my part–I just got a new Logitech touchpad to replace my mouse and the way I was trying to click was the wrong way to do it.

Take a look at this 2002 aerial view and follow the ramp that goes underneath where that overpass still is. It definitely runs from southbound US-13 to northbound I-295 and joins I-295 from the left. You may have to zoom in. (I'll warn you, the site has been very slow today.)

http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=1.6E-05&lat=39.6958570814298&lon=-75.5737907750572&year=2002

NE2

Or you can just use the old USGS aerials:
Quote from: NE2 on February 14, 2013, 11:51:37 AM
It is obvious that there was another road that was to be built here that never got off the ground
It's obvious that you're wrong: http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=39.69698,-75.57504&z=17&t=O
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

When I click that link all I get is a green screen.

NE2

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 04, 2013, 05:33:57 PM
When I click that link all I get is a green screen.
Does this work for you? It's the same imagery but with a worse interface.
http://msrmaps.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=18&X=1127&Y=10985&W=3

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on March 02, 2013, 04:26:24 PM
Amarillo, TX.  You have the US 87 & 287 Freeway split into Pierce and Taylor Streets where you have each road signed for different routes.  US 287 to I-40 on Taylor and US 87 to I-27 on Pierce, but both roads lead to all from here.

It reminds me of NB I-35 in San Antonio, where only the lower level is signed as I-35 to Austin, yet upper and lower levels reunite before the I-10 interchange.  Then it happens again with I-37, reuniting just barely before the interchange.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Miami,+FL&hl=en&ll=25.812368,-80.215041&spn=0.001752,0.002642&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=9.892242,21.643066&oq=mi&t=h&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida&z=19&layer=c&cbll=25.812353,-80.214779&panoid=udSWtWKTYYLiww5xPJCqZQ&cbp=12,63.58,,0,-22.5

Interesting that Orlando is signed from the Miami International Airport.  I do not see the fact that many destined for Central Florida would fly into Miami unless certain overseas origins do not fly into MCO and thus many arrive in the US from here.

Sheryl Crowe

djsinco

Quote from: roadman65 on March 11, 2013, 12:21:20 PM
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Miami,+FL&hl=en&ll=25.812368,-80.215041&spn=0.001752,0.002642&sll=27.698638,-83.804601&sspn=9.892242,21.643066&oq=mi&t=h&hnear=Miami,+Miami-Dade,+Florida&z=19&layer=c&cbll=25.812353,-80.214779&panoid=udSWtWKTYYLiww5xPJCqZQ&cbp=12,63.58,,0,-22.5

Interesting that Orlando is signed from the Miami International Airport.  I do not see the fact that many destined for Central Florida would fly into Miami unless certain overseas origins do not fly into MCO and thus many arrive in the US from here.
That is exactly the case. There are hundreds of thousands who fly internationally and arrive in MIA, who are headed to the US almost exclusively to visit WDW.
3 million miles and counting

kphoger

Yep, Miami is one of the gateways to Central America and the Caribbean.  Even if airlines fly into MCO, the ticket price is usually cheaper into Miami.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

djsinco

I see tons of Brits flying into MIA from the UK. A huge number of WDW visitors are from Brazil or Britain.

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8597167587/in/set-72157633111861632/

Recently, Florida has been painting exit numbers on the pavement of freeways.  Now Texas has done the same thing.  The only difference between the Lone Star State and the Sunshine State is one paints the number on the shoulder to the side while the other (as far as this photo goes) paints it in the gore.

How many other states will do it and who is next?

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on March 28, 2013, 12:40:51 PM

Recently, Florida has been painting exit numbers on the pavement of freeways.  Now Texas has done the same thing.  The only difference between the Lone Star State and the Sunshine State is one paints the number on the shoulder to the side while the other (as far as this photo goes) paints it in the gore.

Oh, is that a recent thing in Texas?  I've been noticing it for a few years now.  When did it start?
Male pronouns, please.

djsinco

I am pretty sure that Texas was the first, saw them there either 2006 or earlier. Colorado is also starting to do this, but they use a smaller shield than TX or FL. It seems fine, but overhead signage being so legible these days I can't help but wonder if this is all just a waste of money.

I have been complaining to myself (inside the car) about (mostly small towns in some Northeastern states) which paint arrows for designation of legal turns on the pavement at intersections with no corresponding overhead signage. Once there is a car on top of the legend, stopped at the red light, it is impossible for a traveler to know which is the through lane of the two lanes available...
I guess it works well for the locals of that town, though, since they already know.

NE2

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on March 28, 2013, 12:47:12 PM

Oh, is that a recent thing in Texas?  I've been noticing it for a few years now.  When did it start?
Well, you know what I mean.  Recent means in the past several years, or at least to me it does.  Maybe its that I am getting old now and when you pass 30 the years start to fly lol!

Sheryl Crowe

kendancy66

On I-40 in California, on the zero mile mark (such as mile post 90,80,70 ...) , the are painting the mile number on the pavement on the right shoulder.  I haven't seen that anywhere else in CA, and I am not sure how many of miles are marked.  I thought I also saw an 88 also. 

djsinco

I have seen that in CA for decades. It is (or was) mostly used for aircraft using a stopwatch to catch speeders. They would clock them (me in Desert Center once,) and radio down to the waiting CHP car.

kendancy66

Funny you should mention Desert Center.  I drove through there last Sunday.  And they have the same markers there.  However I realize that the markers correspond to post miles, not mile markers.  I think that on I-40 they match the mile markers because I-40 only traverses one county (San Bernadino) in California

roadman65

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/8621916714/in/photostream

This is a misuse of a standard one way sign inside a shopping center near Downtown Orlando.  Apparently the MUTCD does not have authority over private property, so any developer can use whatever sign he or she chooses.

Anyway, its interesting because no one else, that I have seen, has done something exactly like this.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

Yet the MUTCD does talk about treatment of stop-controlled intersections of parking lot aisles and associated service roads which are not on the public ROW.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.