News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Only in this state....

Started by cjk374, December 13, 2012, 04:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralCAroadgeek

Only in Texas:
- Interstates are called "IH-xx" instead of the regular "I-xx"
- Frontage roads in the goonies
- FM and RM roads

Ian

Quote from: akotchi on December 14, 2012, 04:08:35 PM
Pennsylvania is the only state I have seen to use a weaving area sign.  It is a warning sign (diamond), used largely in advance of auxiliary lanes with cloverleafs, with a symbol of two crossing arrows for a weaving movement.  I will see if I can get a picture, unless other Pa. participants here already have one.

Here you go!

Here are a few of mine...

-Only in Pennsylvania will you have a flat, straight section of 2-lane road with lots of visibility and still have a double yellow line.

-Only in Quebec will you see a sign like this.

-Only in New York will you see suffixed route with odd letters, such as NY 9P or NY 17K.

-Only in New York will you see different varieties of speed limits written on signs, such as state, and village.

-Only in New Hampshire will you see the suffix on a suffixed route get written below the number on a route shield, like so.

-Only in Vermont and New Hampshire will you see a sign with a skidding motorcycle.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

1995hoo

This probably isn't really a fair one to post, but what the heck.

Only in Virginia, and only in Charlottesville, will you find the University of Virginia V-Sabres logo used on a BGS as though it were a shield: http://www.gribblenation.com/vapics/us29/us29bus_uva_us250-cvl.jpg
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

theline

Arkansas: rumble strips inside the stripe. They drive me crazy.

mapman1071

Quote from: US81 on December 13, 2012, 10:56:46 PM
Does any state besides New Mexico have the "Dust Storms May Exist" signs?  [I think Texas and maybe other states have "Watch for Dust Storms" signs.]   

We were pretty tired by the time we drove thru and the wording just seemed very...existential...to us. We were somewhere between philosophical and punchy....

Arizona has these. also at one time Arizona had Flipable BG Pullthrus/ Yellow Blowing Dust Warning with flashing lights posted on I-8 (Casa Grande to Glia Bend) and I-10 (Queen Creek Road to Casa Grande).

1995hoo

Only in North Carolina do the white signs advising of an impending drop in the speed limit use the grammatically-correct "REDUCE SPEED AHEAD" rather than the form "REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" (which I maintain is grammatically incorrect because it is the speed limit that is reduced, and we've all seen speed-limit decreases that nobody obeys).

Ian

Quote from: theline on December 14, 2012, 05:17:43 PM

And in Pennsylvania, rumble strips along the double yellow line on every state highway!  :pan:

Quote from: NE2 on December 14, 2012, 08:05:42 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on December 14, 2012, 07:10:26 AM
Only in Wisconsin - one piece sine salads

This and others on http://www.alpsroads.net/roads/ri/us_6/

New Hampshire has them as well, though these may just be LGS's...

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

1995hoo

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 14, 2012, 05:47:16 PM
Quote from: theline on December 14, 2012, 05:17:43 PM

And in Pennsylvania, rumble strips along the double yellow line on every state highway!  :pan:

I've seen that in Maryland as well (US-15 near Point of Rocks readily comes to mind), and I think I've seen it in Virginia but I'm not positive about that. In either case it's far less common than it is in Pennsylvania, though.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 14, 2012, 01:22:32 AM
Quote from: Rick1962 on December 13, 2012, 11:07:13 PM
"Do Not Drive Into Smoke" signs on the Will Rogers Turnpike here in Oklahoma.

The Kansas Turnpike has those as well.

Help!  How can I not find a picture of those signs online right now???
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: BamaZeus on December 14, 2012, 11:34:07 AM
Not sure if it's elsewhere, but when I think of Massachusetts, I immediately think of text signs with arrows through the numbers

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33445721@N04/6454615515/
I think it was Colorado that used to do that also, but I'm far too lazy and have not enough time to verify.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 14, 2012, 05:32:22 PM
Only in North Carolina do the white signs advising of an impending drop in the speed limit use the grammatically-correct "REDUCE SPEED AHEAD" rather than the form "REDUCED SPEED AHEAD" (which I maintain is grammatically incorrect because it is the speed limit that is reduced, and we've all seen speed-limit decreases that nobody obeys).
And in Arizona, it's inside a yellow warning sign and reads "SPEED REDUCED AHEAD".
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Revive 755

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 14, 2012, 12:05:06 AM
Quote from: DaBigE on December 13, 2012, 11:48:54 PM
Are there any other states other than Wisconsin that exclusively use letters to designate county highways?

Missouri

Those are state roads, not county.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: deanej on December 14, 2012, 10:46:44 AMOnly in ON: using a different font size for every control city on a sign

More specifically: Road names larger than destinations on BGSes.

Scott5114

Quote from: PennDOTFan on December 14, 2012, 04:26:57 PM
-Only in New York will you see suffixed route with odd letters, such as NY 9P or NY 17K.

OK 412P and OK 77S beg to differ!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Mapmikey

-Only in New Hampshire will you see the suffix on a suffixed route get written below the number on a route shield, like so.

Virginia does this with Y routes and used to do them with secondary T routes...

Also, Virginia does do the rumble strips in the center line...US 15 north of Leesburg and US 1 in a couple locations north of Richmond.  I want to say US 460 between Petersburg and Suffolk has some as well.

Mapmikey

hbelkins

Quote from: EchoCharlieHotel on December 14, 2012, 03:07:36 PM
Only in California: Arrows that point down and to the left (right) to the start of the entrance ramp on FREEWAY ENTRANCE sign assemblies. At least, CA's the only place I've seen those. Any other places have them?

West Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 14, 2012, 09:43:13 PM
Also, Virginia does do the rumble strips in the center line...US 15 north of Leesburg and US 1 in a couple locations north of Richmond.  I want to say US 460 between Petersburg and Suffolk has some as well.

Mapmikey

US 460 definitely has rumble strips in Sussex County between Waverly and Wakefield.  I'll be more certain when I drive to Wakefield next week.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: hbelkins on December 14, 2012, 10:13:09 PM
Only in California: Arrows that point down and to the left (right) to the start of the entrance ramp on FREEWAY ENTRANCE sign assemblies. At least, CA's the only place I've seen those. Any other places have them?

West Virginia.

Washington does an all-out California-style assembly (with route shield and down arrows) extremely rarely, but they do exist; typically it's just the green FREEWAY ENTRANCE sign.

However, at least two on-ramps here in Bellingham have new signage, where the simple Freeway Entrance sign has been replaced by a much larger green sign retaining the legend and adding a downward pointing arrow (still no shields though).

agentsteel53

the very first suffixed interstate shields were like this, but I don't think there are any examples left.  same with Maine or Massachusetts routes with A suffix, which used to be below the number.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on December 14, 2012, 06:06:41 PM
I think it was Colorado that used to do that also, but I'm far too lazy and have not enough time to verify.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

West Virginia.

I believe there are a few in Yuma, AZ as well - but they clearly were done by a CA contractor.

jake@aaroads.com

DandyDan

Nebraska is the only state with highway intersection diagram signs when two state highways meet.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 14, 2012, 11:39:29 PM

West Virginia.

I believe there are a few in Yuma, AZ as well - but they clearly were done by a CA contractor.
I thought I saw these in the Phoenix area too. Anyway, they're in the MUTCD now.

Quote from: Mapmikey on December 14, 2012, 09:43:13 PM
Virginia does this with Y routes and used to do them with secondary T routes...

Mapmikey
I have never seen one of these T routes in my life. What and where are they?

NE2

T-xxx is a state-maintained route inside town limits. These still exist, but now they drop the T.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

amroad17

Only in NC:  Black on white mileage pointers at intersections (currently being phased out, it appears).

Only in KY:  BGS supports that have the interior support bars going in all different directions.
                  -AA Hwy has rumble strips in the middle of the road also (in response to the many comments above)

Only in VA:  No junction signs at state/US hwy intersections (they do have many at state/US hwy intersections with I-hwys).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.