News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Largest cities without Interstate service

Started by Roadsguy, January 11, 2013, 07:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

Google is a search engine. Its first result is tampagov.net. If you don't trust them to know where their own borders are, you're probably the type to stockpile gold.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

CTInterstate

I know a kind of city of Willmantic, CT, the nearest interstate is I-384 is 15 miles away,but it is severd by the US 6 Willmantic Bypass.
The bypass has 2 exits, CT 195 some of it in Mansfield,CT, The next exit is CT 32 just 0.1 miles of the town boder of Mansfield,CT. I live only 8 miles away from Willmantic. The main route of Willmantic is CT 66 and CT 32 overlap, and CT 66 itself for a mile. My route I live on is CT 14 wich starts in Willmantic. Thank you for reading this :-D
I love roads

InterstateNG

Another fine addition to the menagerie here.   :rolleyes:
I demand an apology.

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on February 09, 2013, 06:40:06 PM
Google is a search engine. Its first result is tampagov.net. If you don't trust them to know where their own borders are, you're probably the type to stockpile gold.
Well,  I guess I am not as smart as you. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on February 09, 2013, 07:52:57 PM

Don't sweat it, just use the National Map instead. It uses Census data primarily, which is essentially the national authority on geographic boundaries in this country (and it derives its data directly from local authorities). If you can't get the info directly from the municipality yourself, this is the next best thing.

roadman65

Quote from: empirestate on February 09, 2013, 11:04:15 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 09, 2013, 07:52:57 PM

Don't sweat it, just use the National Map instead. It uses Census data primarily, which is essentially the national authority on geographic boundaries in this country (and it derives its data directly from local authorities). If you can't get the info directly from the municipality yourself, this is the next best thing.
Thanks.

Anyway, I was not that desperate to know about Tampa.  Being that some are having debate over what makes a route serve a city by wondering if a route does not enter its city limits counts over one that does.  I was trying to find out if the I-75 would be considered serving Tampa as far as the topic goes.  I am sorry that I made it seem like I wanted to know for myself exclusively, instead of being much clearer.  One of these days I will get it right.  Unfortunately, writing is not my best subject and I am trying to master it.

However, I do appreciate the information as I will use it to learn more about cities and learn to trust more sources.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on February 10, 2013, 10:35:43 AM
Anyway, I was not that desperate to know about Tampa.  Being that some are having debate over what makes a route serve a city by wondering if a route does not enter its city limits counts over one that does.  I was trying to find out if the I-75 would be considered serving Tampa as far as the topic goes.  I am sorry that I made it seem like I wanted to know for myself exclusively, instead of being much clearer.  One of these days I will get it right.  Unfortunately, writing is not my best subject and I am trying to master it.

However, I do appreciate the information as I will use it to learn more about cities and learn to trust more sources.

I would definitely count I-75 as serving Tampa, whether or not it actually clips the city line. St. Petersburg, on the other hand...

I also think it's possible for a road to enter a city but not serve it, an arguable example being Washington, DC (or some non-interstate routes through Jacksonville).

formulanone

Quote from: InterstateNG on February 09, 2013, 07:15:10 PM
Another fine addition to the menagerie here.   :rolleyes:

Pick on someone your own age; or at least, nobody at all.

I think we're starting to pound this subject into oblivion, just because an Interstate "misses" a city's border by 50 feet or the nearby interstate has 4 exits with the city's name on the BGS, some people are excluding it. :/

InterstateNG

Quote from: formulanone on February 11, 2013, 12:43:47 PM

Sorry, this place doesn't need incoherent "9-year olds" posting.  And it would appear the mods agree.

But in the future, I'll be sure to run things by you first.  Oh wait, no I won't.
I demand an apology.

formulanone

Quote from: InterstateNG on February 11, 2013, 06:24:23 PM
But in the future, I'll be sure to run things by you first.  Oh wait, no I won't.

Since this is coming from a member who, in his own words, wants to be banned, has trolled four other members (without offering any advice nor help) in the last 30 days, and has no special privileges at AARoads, I'll just put you on ignore.

Alps

Quote from: InterstateNG on February 11, 2013, 06:24:23 PM
Quote from: formulanone on February 11, 2013, 12:43:47 PM

Sorry, this place doesn't need incoherent "9-year olds" posting.  And it would appear the mods agree.

Err, how would you know anything about how the mods feel?

StogieGuy7

Quote from: CTInterstate on February 09, 2013, 07:12:15 PM
I know a kind of city of Willmantic, CT, the nearest interstate is I-384 is 15 miles away,but it is severd by the US 6 Willmantic Bypass.
The bypass has 2 exits, CT 195 some of it in Mansfield,CT, The next exit is CT 32 just 0.1 miles of the town boder of Mansfield,CT. I live only 8 miles away from Willmantic. The main route of Willmantic is CT 66 and CT 32 overlap, and CT 66 itself for a mile. My route I live on is CT 14 wich starts in Willmantic. Thank you for reading this :-D

You are correct about Willimantic not being served by an interstate and, yes, it is a small city and is certainly fair game for this discussion (Interstate NG, this means you! :pan:). 

What you may not know is that the present-day US-6 bypass was once a section of Interstate 84.  Back in the late 1960s and 1970s, there was a proposal to have I-84 connect Hartford with Providence, RI.  The former northern segment of the Wilbur Cross Parkway (which was I-84) was actually changed to I-86 for a while because of this.   

Of course, for various reasons, the connection between Hartford and Providence ran into a lot of opposition from the various towns that it would run through and the idea eventually died.  However, 2 pieces of expressway in Connecticut were constructed as part of that project and each was called I-84 for a while: the first was what is now I-384 around Manchester and the second was the bypass around Willimantic.  When the project was cancelled (around 1982 I think), the I-86 name was removed and I-84 again connected Hartford with the Mass Pike.   And those 2 little pieces of expressway were rebadged as I-384 and US-6.   

So yes, Willimantic is without interstate service.  But, for about 10 years or so, it actually had one!

hotdogPi

London. There was no mention in the rules that it had to be US cities.

Also, there might be some "1 from huge city" cities that are famous and don't have interstates.

Also, Ithaca NY has no interstates or US routes, but I'm not sure if it's "big" or not.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

english si

Quote from: 1 on August 10, 2013, 08:58:33 PMThere was no mention in the rules that it had to be US cities.
So why didn't you necro this thread with Tokyo, which would win?

Ithica, NY is 4 times the size of the city of London, England...

...Of course, London's met area is 1000 times more populous than the city!

mUtcd33

In Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Delaware/MD here are the ones I know of:

Reading, PA (I-176 stays completely south of the city proper)
Lancaster, PA
Johnstown, PA
Pottsville, PA (has no real freeway system at all)
Pottstown, PA (signed as a control city off of I-476)
Atlantic City, NJ
Cape May, NJ
Smyrna, DE
Dover, DE
Rehoboth Beach, DE
Salisbury, MD
Ocean City, MD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.