News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Largest cities without Interstate service

Started by Roadsguy, January 11, 2013, 07:43:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianP

For Maryland I'd say it should be Waldorf.  It has twice the population of Salisbury.  Would you agree that it's far enough outside of DC?  Granted that Waldorf is unincorporated.  But I would say it's outside DC metro since it's in Charles County and not Prince Georges County.  It's a suburb of a suburb if anything.  Like would you say Frederick MD is part of DC metro?  I wouldn't.  And Waldorf is a booming community since it tripled in size over the last decade or so.  So it's more important in my eyes.

PHLBOS

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 16, 2013, 09:22:37 PMJust because a town may not be big in pop does not mean it is not an important town for education, commerce, and/or tourism.
If you're talking about tourism; the City of Salem, MA (according to Bing, population 41,654 circa 2011) does bring in its share of tourists due to its rich history (including witch trials & folklore).  If you haven't been there; I'd suggest you check it out during this spring through fall.

As far as taking things literally is concerned; one needs to keep in mind that since not everybody knows every thread-poster (nor their intent) on this site nor is a mind-reader, how else would one interpret somebody's post?

Just saying.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

NE2

Prominence matters more than population. Salem is in the shadow of Boston.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

iowahighways

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 12, 2013, 06:31:17 PM
While excluding ones that are within a couple miles of an existing Interstate, these are cities of population/importance that I would consider for this list (lower 48 only):
<snip>
IA: Ft Madison, Keokuk, Muscatine, Clinton, Dubuque, Marshalltown, Ottumwa, Ft Dodge

Don't forget Burlington, which is larger than Fort Madison and Keokuk combined.
The Iowa Highways Page: Now exclusively at www.iowahighways.org
The Iowa Highways Photo Gallery: www.flickr.com/photos/iowahighways/

hobsini2

Quote from: iowahighways on January 18, 2013, 06:32:47 PM
While excluding ones that are within a couple miles of an existing Interstate, these are cities of population/importance that I would consider for this list (lower 48 only):
<snip>
IA: Ft Madison, Keokuk, Muscatine, Clinton, Dubuque, Marshalltown, Ottumwa, Ft Dodge

Don't forget Burlington, which is larger than Fort Madison and Keokuk combined.

Your right. I should have included Burlington too.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

roadman65

Quote from: BrianP on January 17, 2013, 02:17:36 PM
For Maryland I'd say it should be Waldorf.  It has twice the population of Salisbury.  Would you agree that it's far enough outside of DC?  Granted that Waldorf is unincorporated.  But I would say it's outside DC metro since it's in Charles County and not Prince Georges County.  It's a suburb of a suburb if anything.  Like would you say Frederick MD is part of DC metro?  I wouldn't.  And Waldorf is a booming community since it tripled in size over the last decade or so.  So it's more important in my eyes.
My plan would be (I posted in another thread someplace years ago) to extend I-97 down to Carmel Church, VA to make an outer beltway of DC.  That would pass right through Waldorf.

Also, Waldorf, as far away from DC it is, is mentioned as SB control city for MD 5 and Branch Avenue off I-95/ I-495. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DaBigE

Quote from: SSOWorld on January 13, 2013, 08:37:14 AM

WI: currently Fond du Lac, currently Oshkosh, currently Appleton/Neenah/Menasha, Sturgeon Bay, Beaver Dam, Monroe, River Falls, Marshfield, West Bend, Wisconsin Rapids, Marinette, Rhinelander

I disagree on Beaver Dam, Monroe, River Falls, Marinette and Rhinelander.  The last has zero importance whatsoever - if you think that's the case, there 40 other cities with higher populations than Rhinelander (7700).

Agreed about Beaver Dam. I would also say the same about West Bend, (although having grown up there, my view could be slightly jaded). IMHO, the US highways that run through those two are plenty. For the most part, they're bedroom communities for Fond du Lac, Madison, and Milwaukee. Both used to be bigger in industry until everything started moving to China and/or being bought out. Neither are much for tourist attractions, and post-secondary education is average. Both downtowns used to be bigger draws until big boxes started taking over. I don't see an Interstate improving things any.

On a related note, I wouldn't mind seeing US 151 turned into an Interstate, (although there would be a lot of work necessary to achieve this--and I realize this contradicts my Beaver Dam statement). With the exception of the current Madison Beltline multiplex fiasco, I think that route would be a nice SW/NE connection through the state and into Iowa. You'd be connecting Manitowoc, Fond du Lac, Madison (UW-Madison), Platteville (more for the value of UW-Platteville), Dubuque, and Cedar Rapids, to name a few.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

codyg1985

Quote from: formulanone on January 16, 2013, 09:34:18 PM
Dothan, Alabama is fairly large, at 65,000 residents (100,000 in the metropolitan area), but is not served by any type of freeway nor expressway. I-10 is about 30 miles south.

There is a small chance that I-x10 will be built to connect Dothan and Panama City, but I am not sure if or when that will happen.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

roadman65

How does everyone feel about Brunswick, GA?  It is several miles off of I-95, where I, myself, consider it to be served by it, however the way people were talking about Frankfort, KY and Trenton, NJ on another thread, it makes me wonder if this does not count as one being.

Sheryl Crowe

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on January 23, 2013, 06:33:11 PM
How does everyone feel about Brunswick, GA?  It is several miles off of I-95, where I, myself, consider it to be served by it, however the way people were talking about Frankfort, KY and Trenton, NJ on another thread, it makes me wonder if this does not count as one being.

All three are served by the interstate in my view.

A few intervening miles don't disqualify a place, if those miles are taken up by more or less unbroken development that doesn't belong to any other metro area. (Which doesn't lend credence to my assertion that I-80 does not serve Chicago...)

roadman65

Does I-91 count for NYC?  It is safe to say there is no open areas between NYC and New Haven, and it is one continuous developed corridor, but then Baltimore and Washington are connected with their suburbs and you really cannot say that I-70 by itself serves DC.

Does I-85 serve Richmond, VA considering Richmond and Petersburg are one large metro area.  Also, Richmond is used as control city at many places Northbound in NC north of Durham?

It can be debatable.  I would say that two cities linked by their metro areas would have the center point between the two as the line between each respective metropolitan areas only if two are large cities of the same size.  However, with New Haven is not a big as NYC, so the halfway point between the two cities would not be the line.  Milford, I would say is the far end of the New Haven area, where Stamford is the far reach of NYC.  Each city between like Norwalk and Bridgeport are their own little areas.

Sheryl Crowe

NE2

If an Interstate is closer to the city center than any of the city's primary airports (if any), it probably counts. The reverse, of course, is not true.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

empirestate

Quote from: roadman65 on January 24, 2013, 12:23:41 AM
Does I-91 count for NYC?  It is safe to say there is no open areas between NYC and New Haven, and it is one continuous developed corridor, but then Baltimore and Washington are connected with their suburbs and you really cannot say that I-70 by itself serves DC.

No, because I-91 serves New Haven. And I also agree about I-70. Hence, "...that doesn't belong to any other metro area."

Does I-85 serve Richmond, VA considering Richmond and Petersburg are one large metro area.  Also, Richmond is used as control city at many places Northbound in NC north of Durham?

Not to my thinking; I-85 serves Petersburg. I would likewise treat Minneapolis and St. Paul separately, or Dallas and Fort Worth, if it came up. But, I wouldn't fault anyone for giving Richmond to I-85 as well.

It can be debatable.  I would say that two cities linked by their metro areas would have the center point between the two as the line between each respective metropolitan areas only if two are large cities of the same size.  However, with New Haven is not a big as NYC, so the halfway point between the two cities would not be the line.  Milford, I would say is the far end of the New Haven area, where Stamford is the far reach of NYC.  Each city between like Norwalk and Bridgeport are their own little areas.

There's a lot of gray in that topic, which may be why, for this topic, I give more weight to a state line than someone from the census bureau might. I-80 and I-91 don't serve NYC, first and foremost because they don't enter the state. I-91 has other reasons, but for I-80 that's pretty much the extent of my argument. Another example, fitting somewhere in between, would be I-65 and Chicago. (I say that's a no.)

As for where the metro area lines are, there's considerable overlap. True, there's a certain point where CT's cities have more of a CT identity than a NY one, but then again, New Haven is on rail service to Grand Central, and there's a noticeable amount of cross-pollination. NYC does leave a semi-tangible "stamp" on the areas within its sphere of influence; it's hard to describe, but it's definitely there. (It's part of how I divide "upstate" and "downstate", for example.)

roadman65

Quote from: NE2 on January 24, 2013, 01:23:04 AM
If an Interstate is closer to the city center than any of the city's primary airports (if any), it probably counts. The reverse, of course, is not true.
Then I-80 should count for NYC, being it is closer to Midtown Manhattan than Kennedy and La Guardia is.   I believe that Newark is about the same distance.

Sheryl Crowe

StogieGuy7

Quote from: mgk920 on January 12, 2013, 11:57:36 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 11, 2013, 10:28:54 PM
MN: Technically it's Rochester, since I-90 stays fully south of the city limits. If you don't want to count Rochester or any Twin Cities suburbs, it falls to Mankato.

Rochester stops just short of I-90 along US 63, too.  One small annexation and it's in.

http://goo.gl/maps/FbKQ1

Mike

For all practical purposes, Rochester, MN has been served by I-90 ever since it was first constructed through southern MN.  Heck, I hopped off the interstate and had lunch in Rochester once when driving between SD and IL.   And to count "Brigham City, UT" as not served by an interstate (I-15) is ludicrous.  Try Logan instead. 

Fresno is the poster child for "not being served" as the nearest interstate (I-5) is dozens of miles distant and has a routing that makes it inconvenient for anyone in Fresno to even reach it, let alone use it.  If we start citing examples of cities where the interstate passes nearby, but not within city limits (e.g. Racine, WI) , we'll be here for the next 5 years!   :rolleyes:

kphoger

Quote from: StogieGuy7 on January 24, 2013, 10:37:46 AM
If we start citing examples of cities where the interstate passes nearby, but not within city limits (e.g. Racine, WI) , we'll be here for the next 5 years!   :rolleyes:

Hopefully we can keep on track with the limiting phrase "Largest cities".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2013, 02:38:37 PM
If we start citing examples of cities where the interstate passes nearby, but not within city limits (e.g. Racine, WI) , we'll be here for the next 5 years!   :rolleyes:

Heck, the City of Racine is the most populous municipality in Wisconsin without an interstate highway entering its corporate limits.

:nod:

Mike

amroad17

Maybe we should make a "15 mile" or "15 minute" rule.  Any city/village/town not within 15 miles or 15 minutes from an interstate, should be considered not having interstate service.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

spmkam

On the issue of NYC suburbs. I-91 does not serve NYC but I-80 does. I-91 might have NYC on guide signs but you are on 95 for 60 miles before you reach NYC (and it is more than hour). I-80 ends shortly before the GWB so I would say it does serve it because once you get off the bridge you see signs for I-80 West- Paterson

roadman65

Rochester, MN to I-90 is like Ashland, KY is to I-64.  They are both miles away in distance from the interstates.  Also, Ashland is a control city east of Lexington for I-64, despite it is a few miles off of the interstate via US 60.  In fact, Ashland is further from I-64 than Rochester is from I-90.

Dayton, OH is now considered a city served by I-70 and is further away from I-70 than both Rochester and Ashland are from their interstates.

Sheryl Crowe

hobsini2

Quote from: amroad17 on January 24, 2013, 09:46:50 PM
Maybe we should make a "15 mile" or "15 minute" rule.  Any city/village/town not within 15 miles or 15 minutes from an interstate, should be considered not having interstate service.
I like that definition except for one issue if it is the 15 minute rule. 15 minutes drive time is different in an urban area as opposed to a smaller town/city area and dependent on what the speed limit is. Rural speed limit in Illinois is 55 but in Texas I have seen 70.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

agentsteel53

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 25, 2013, 12:31:44 AM
I like that definition except for one issue if it is the 15 minute rule. 15 minutes drive time is different in an urban area as opposed to a smaller town/city area and dependent on what the speed limit is. Rural speed limit in Illinois is 55 but in Texas I have seen 70.

indeed.  by that standard, my local I-805 on-ramp is not served by I-805 during rush hour.  :pan:
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mukade on January 13, 2013, 02:04:52 PM
Quote from: tdindy88 on January 13, 2013, 12:01:49 PM
IN: Bloomington, Vincennes, Kokomo, Logansport/Peru, Plymouth

One other city for the Indiana list: Muncie. A city of 70,000, Muncie is several miles east of I-69 but never does the interstate pass through the city, hell you barely even notice. Bloomington is the current largest city, but by 2014 it will be connected via I-69 to the south, even if it takes a few more years for the interstate to enter the city limits. Muncie on the otherhand will be the largest city for many years to come, unless an interstate spur is built off of I-69.

Muncie is certainly the best bet, but there is an outside chance that Kokomo would be the biggest in Indiana with no Interstate as it has annexed a ton of surrounding land. It remains to be seen what the revised population will be - I will guess around 60-65K.

By 2012 census numbers, Bloomington is the largest at 80,405.  Muncie is next at 70,085.  Kokomo is third at 45,468.  Others with populations over 20K: Goshen (31,719), Westfield (30,068), Marion (29,948), Schererville (29,243). 

Not sure why people mentioned Vincennes.  It's not very big at all.

EDIT: Apparently Marion has annexed along IN 18 all the way out to I-69, so scratch that one off the list.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

sandwalk

I believe the largest municipality in Ohio without an Interstate is Hamilton, with a population of ~63,000.  Although, the ~9 mile long State Route 129 freeway connects its eastern city limits to Interstate 75.  Hamilton is also being swallowed up by Cincinnati & Dayton's suburbs, so maybe it 'doesn't really count.'
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Hamilton,+Ohio&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x8840464e3b405489:0x215a7220815dfea5,Hamilton,+OH&gl=us&ei=CK0CUd_LG6K_yQGI3YEw&ved=0CIMBELYD

Tiffin, on the other hand, has a population of ~18,000 and two universities.  The nearest Interstate highways are I-80/90 about 23 miles north or I-75 about 26 miles west.
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=Tiffin,+Ohio&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41524429,d.aWc&biw=1024&bih=677&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

StogieGuy7

Quote from: mgk920 on January 24, 2013, 09:06:07 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 24, 2013, 02:38:37 PM

Heck, the City of Racine is the most populous municipality in Wisconsin without an interstate highway entering its corporate limits.

:nod:

Mike

But it is still "served" by Interstate 94.  People in Racine absolutely use that road to get any distance north or south.  It's a short distance west of the city.  And Rochester, MN is "served" by I-90.  As I stated earlier, I know this from my own experience.  It's not far outside of town and is easily accessed via US-52. 

On the other hand, Fresno, CA isn't "served" by any interstate.  Nor are Dover, DE, Logan, UT, Kalispell, MT, Torrington, CT, Bend, OR, Marquette, MI, Minot, ND, Lynchburg, VA or Danville, VA.   

That reality is far more interesting to me than semantics involving whether the highway sneaks into a city's corporate limits or not. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.