One Movement Only - Does it Exist Anywhere Else?

Started by nwi_navigator_1181, March 12, 2013, 01:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nwi_navigator_1181

Good day to all.

Near Rockford, Illinois, There's one ramp connecting the Westbound Jane Addams Tollway (I-90) to Irene Road. Originally designed to temporarily facilitate the movement from I-90 west to I-39 south (via U.S. 20) while work on the nearby Cherry Valley Interchange was in full swing, ISTHA decided to make the ramp a permanent fixture after the fact.

However, this is the ONLY connection between I-90 and Irene Road. There is no westbound re-entry, and there is no eastbound exit or entrance. There's only one movement.

Is there another instance - anywhere - that exists? I'd really like to know. Thanks in advance for your responses.
"Slower Traffic Keep Right" means just that.
You use turn signals. Every Time. Every Transition.

NE2

Many of them. Probably too many to list.

One that lost all its other ramps to attrition (mainly due to SR 408): I-4 at Gore Street in Orlando.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Brandon

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 12, 2013, 01:29:01 AM
Good day to all.

Near Rockford, Illinois, There's one ramp connecting the Westbound Jane Addams Tollway (I-90) to Irene Road. Originally designed to temporarily facilitate the movement from I-90 west to I-39 south (via U.S. 20) while work on the nearby Cherry Valley Interchange was in full swing, ISTHA decided to make the ramp a permanent fixture after the fact.

However, this is the ONLY connection between I-90 and Irene Road. There is no westbound re-entry, and there is no eastbound exit or entrance. There's only one movement.

Is there another instance - anywhere - that exists? I'd really like to know. Thanks in advance for your responses.

It happens again in Illinois on the Tri-State Tollway:

There are only southbound entrances from LaGrange Road (US-12/20/45) and Archer Avenue (IL-171).

Balmoral also only had a southbound only entrance until recently when it got a northbound exit.

The Northwest Tollway has a westbound only entrance ramp from Devon just before the toll plaza.

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on March 12, 2013, 06:41:37 AM
It happens again in Illinois on the Tri-State Tollway:

There are only southbound entrances from LaGrange Road (US-12/20/45) and Archer Avenue (IL-171).
These ramps are logically paired with the northbound exit to I-55.

Quote from: Brandon on March 12, 2013, 06:41:37 AM
The Northwest Tollway has a westbound only entrance ramp from Devon just before the toll plaza.
There's no obvious counterpart here (though it also serves IL 72, which has two other ramps a bit to the west). Perhaps the intended way of reaching Devon from I-90 east is to loop around via I-190 and Mannheim.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

1995hoo

Southbound DC-295 at Baker Street NE–I believe the exit is signed for "River Terrace," the name of a neighborhood–has a lone off-ramp with no other movements to or from the highway in either direction. People wanting another movement to or from that area have to connect via Benning Road.

I'll add a link later. Edited to add link. Ramp is in middle of map: http://goo.gl/maps/g1vpT
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cwm1276

For Irene Road, Belvidere wants it to become a full interchange, they just got the tollway to pay for a quarter of it during the I39 interchange work.  It was not designed to be temporary.

PHLBOS

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on March 12, 2013, 01:29:01 AMHowever, this is the ONLY connection between I-90 and Irene Road. There is no westbound re-entry, and there is no eastbound exit or entrance. There's only one movement.

In Boston, MA along the Mass Pike Extension (I-90), there are 2 entrance ramps to westbound I-90 w/no other movement ramps: one at Mass Ave. (Exit 21), the other at Clarendon St./MA 28 South (Exit 23).

Edited to add: one more westbound entrance ramp: Arlington St. (Exit 23).

In Chester Twp. (Delaware County) PA: prior to its merge w/I-95 South, there's one exit ramp from US 322 Westbound onto Concord Road.  No other direct access to/from Concord Road exists between it, US 322 & I-95.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Dr Frankenstein

Yes, an exit I use frequently, exit 123 off ON 417 for Island Park Drive in Ottawa. You'd think it's mostly local (especially since commercial vehicles are prohibited,) but it actually serves all of the Aylmer sector in Gatineau and some of Hull, too.

empirestate

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 12, 2013, 08:58:54 AM
In Boston, MA along the Mass Pike Extension (I-90), there are 2 entrance ramps to westbound I-90 w/no other movement ramps: one at Mass Ave. (Exit 21), the other at Clarendon St./MA 28 South (Exit 23).

Three. Don't forget Arlington Street.

1995hoo

Exit 15 on the FDR Drive in New York (marked for E 106 St) has no other movement aside from the southbound ramp. The next exit is 10 blocks to the south. New York's parkways and expressways are a little difficult to account for, in my opinion, because often a corresponding movement appears a short distance away such that you don't have to go much out of your way to make that movement. In my view that sort of situation means it's not a "one movement" only situation. But having to go 10 blocks away is often more than just a minor nuisance.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

I saw one on I-87 near Saratoga Springs, in New York State.   It has a southbound entry from a local road that has no exit ramps off of I-87 in either direction nor a northbound on ramp as well.

The Garden State Parkway has one from Cheesequake State Park that leads to the GSP Southbound, but no off ramps or NB on ramp.

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

US 5 to I-84 West in East Hartford, CT.  No other direct ramps from I-84 to US 5.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cpzilliacus

This kinda sorta qualifies.

In the City of Greenbelt, Maryland (Prince George's County) there's a ramp from eastbound Md. 193 (Greenbelt Road) to the southbound side of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway (federal government maintenance, "secret" Md. 295).  Google maps here.

Other movements to and from the Parkway can be made at the interchange to the east.  Access to the Capital Beltway (I-95 and I-495) is made via Md. 201 (Kenilworth  Avenue) to the west of this location, which in turn has a full Beltway interchange.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

PHLBOS

Quote from: empirestate on March 12, 2013, 09:05:15 AM
Three. Don't forget Arlington Street.
You're right, and that's actually Exit 23 and not the Clarendon St. entrance ramp.  Original post has since been edited/corrected BTW.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mapmikey

Virginia has:

I-95 Exit 12 which is from NB 95 to NB US 301 and no other ramps.

VA 134 at VA 152 Todds Lane in Hampton has a ramp from SB 134 to WB 152 with no other movements possible.

Mapmikey

deathtopumpkins

I would consider the Clarendon St onramp as part of the whole Prudential / Copley interchange (exit 22). Yeah, there's also the onramp from Huntington Ave in part of that interchange, but I'd consider them both part of exit 22.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Scott5114

US-64/169/Creek Turnpike has only one ramp, eastbound, to Mingo Road, and no corresponding entrances.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

blink and you'll miss it: here is a ramp from Laulima Street to HI-78, just next to a knot of other ramps.

http://goo.gl/maps/UgRqx

there are two cutouts on Laulima Street, btw.  HI-72 and HI-90.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

deathtopumpkins

I-64 in Hampton, VA: Exit 265C - Rip Rap Rd: http://goo.gl/maps/C4Bia
Could be considered another ramp in the Armistead / LaSalle interchange just to the west, and is numbered as such, but the majority of traffic turns left to go towards King St and Mercury Blvd

I-64 in Chesapeake, VA: Exit 292 - Great Bridge Blvd: http://goo.gl/maps/zjfGU
Could be considered part of the I-464/US 17/VA 168 interchange just to the east, as it does serve a missing movement in that interchange, but it is the only ramp that uses Great Bridge Blvd, and carries a separate exit number.

VA 168 in Chesapeake, VA: Kempsville Rd: http://goo.gl/maps/REcrh
Could be considered part of the Battlefield Blvd interchange just to the north, but it doesn't serve a missing movement there (Kempsville Rd traffic could take the loop ramp to Battlefield Blvd south and then turn left on Kempsville Rd) and doesn't direct traffic towards that interchange.

I-664 in Bowers Hill, VA: Exit 14 - Military Hwy: http://goo.gl/maps/GbkNz
I don't know what to consider this, as it's one of a multitude of ramps serving US 13/58/460 in the Bowers Hill area, but it is numbered independently of all the other ramps (which are part of exit 13), and doesn't have any other corresponding ramps.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

amroad17

There used to be an entrance ramp on I-70 between Dayton and Springfield around mm 42 that is no longer in use.  It looked as if it came from Lower Valley Pike.  There were no corresponding exit ramps for this.

Looking at Historic Aerials, the ramp was Lower Valley Pike and went straight across to where CR 316 is now (1956, 1968).  Because of I-70 being built, the road was cut off.  CR 316 was routed next to the eastbound lanes of I-70 to the overpass for CR 339.

I had always wondered why that ramp was there.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 12, 2013, 02:33:23 PM
I-64 in Hampton, VA: Exit 265C - Rip Rap Rd: http://goo.gl/maps/C4Bia
Could be considered another ramp in the Armistead / LaSalle interchange just to the west, and is numbered as such, but the majority of traffic turns left to go towards King St and Mercury Blvd

I-64 in Chesapeake, VA: Exit 292 - Great Bridge Blvd: http://goo.gl/maps/zjfGU
Could be considered part of the I-464/US 17/VA 168 interchange just to the east, as it does serve a missing movement in that interchange, but it is the only ramp that uses Great Bridge Blvd, and carries a separate exit number.

VA 168 in Chesapeake, VA: Kempsville Rd: http://goo.gl/maps/REcrh
Could be considered part of the Battlefield Blvd interchange just to the north, but it doesn't serve a missing movement there (Kempsville Rd traffic could take the loop ramp to Battlefield Blvd south and then turn left on Kempsville Rd) and doesn't direct traffic towards that interchange.

I-664 in Bowers Hill, VA: Exit 14 - Military Hwy: http://goo.gl/maps/GbkNz
I don't know what to consider this, as it's one of a multitude of ramps serving US 13/58/460 in the Bowers Hill area, but it is numbered independently of all the other ramps (which are part of exit 13), and doesn't have any other corresponding ramps.
Hampton Roads is known for a few of these.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

empirestate

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on March 12, 2013, 02:08:20 PM

I would consider the Clarendon St onramp as part of the whole Prudential / Copley interchange (exit 22). Yeah, there's also the onramp from Huntington Ave in part of that interchange, but I'd consider them both part of exit 22.

I could accept that reasoning, and exit numbering likely agrees with you. It can be tricky to figure out in urban areas.

Another, non-urban example that occurs to me is NY 481 to Caughdenoy Road north of Syracuse.

Ian

There is an entrance to I-84 westbound from Mashapaug Road south of Sturbridge, MA.

I-95 exit 10 near the Philadelphia Airport consists of one ramp to PA 291 eastbound from I-95 northbound.

There is an entrance to I-95 northbound from Castor Avenue in Philadelphia.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Michael

NY 481 has an exit with only one movement near Clay for Caughdenoy and Maple Roads.  It's even numbered as Exit 11.  I always thought the exit seemed pointless because it only has one movement.

kphoger

Just south of Pearsall, TX, where I-35 crosses CR-4201, there is only a southbound entrance–no southbound exit, northbound entrance, or northbound exit.

Not terribly uncommon.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on March 12, 2013, 04:52:19 PM
Just south of Pearsall, TX, where I-35 crosses CR-4201, there is only a southbound entrance–no southbound exit, northbound entrance, or northbound exit.

Not terribly uncommon.

that's a frontage road slip ramp, which is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.  I'll bet there are plenty of those in Texas that exist only in one movement.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.