News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The most common driver mistake that you see where you live?

Started by roadman65, May 13, 2013, 04:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I am just curious, as everyday we see other idiots on the road doing crazy driving maneuvers.  Some drive us crazy at times, and some even we yell mostly at the other individual with our windows closed to vent.  There is no end to it and we could write a 2000 page book on every incident another driver does something stupid or unethical.  However, I am interested in knowing what driver mistake that you each see in your local area on a regular basis takes place the most.  I basically want to see if bad driving habits are the same everyplace around or not.

In my area,  I would have to say the sudden turn movements are number one to report.  The ones where somebody will slow down at a moments notice and make a left or a right causing you to brake dramatically.

Also, keep in mind not to ramble about the latest incident when posting as I know other drivers can and will piss us off at times. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

agentsteel53

lack of lane discipline seems to be the big one around here.  people just don't notice that they are riding the separator, even when it has Botts dots.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Stopping well past the stop bar, definitely.  Second place easily goes to not signalling during lane changes, or even when turning; however, it's not nearly as bad as it was in rural western Kansas, where I grew up.

* Not keeping right is so ubiquitous to American driving, I don't feel it's worth including.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 04:09:39 PM
Second place easily goes to not signalling during lane changes, or even when turning

I only signal when there is at least a slight probability that someone will be affected by my lane change or turn.  if I can do it without affecting other cars, I will not signal.

QuoteNot keeping right is so ubiquitous to American driving, I don't feel it's worth including.

worse than that is when two cars are driving side by side, or one sits in the blind spot of the other.  either way, a third lane (usually not available) is required to get around them.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 13, 2013, 04:14:50 PM
QuoteNot keeping right is so ubiquitous to American driving, I don't feel it's worth including.

worse than that is when two cars are driving side by side, or one sits in the blind spot of the other.  either way, a third lane (usually not available) is required to get around them.

I've been known to use the inside shoulder of SB I-135 in northern Wichita to get around cases where vehicles in all three lanes are moving at exactly the same speed–usually including an 18-wheeler.  Doing so requires detailed knowledge of said shoulder, since it is not wide enough for a vehicle to pass on the elevated portion (the canal route):  wouldn't want to start that maneuver too far south.  :-o

I'm trying to stop letting my frustration exhibit itself in this kind of behavior.

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 04:09:39 PM
Second place easily goes to not signalling during lane changes, or even when turning

I only signal when there is at least a slight probability that someone will be affected by my lane change or turn.  if I can do it without affecting other cars, I will not signal.

I take the opposite approach:  I only don't signal in very rare cases.  Even for the simplest lane changes, I operate under the assumption that there might be a car in my blind spot that I missed seeing–or that someone who wasn't next to me a second ago has come "out of nowhere".  So I signal.  Just in case.  And it's saved me once or twice:  I was sure no one was there, I signalled anyway, and a honk of their horn alerted me to the fact that things were not as I thought.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 04:30:44 PMI signalled anyway, and a honk of their horn alerted me to the fact that things were not as I thought.

completely different driving culture out here.  we don't honk to say "oh hey, you should probably not attempt that lane change".  people will make the lane change regardless of who pays attention to their signal, so I just make sure to do so when there is no one in my blind spot. 

(the fact that cars come with blind spots is pretty damn silly in and of itself.)

jake@aaroads.com

wxfree

One that bothers me is people who have the right-of-way and don't try to wave it off.  When approaching a stop sign wanting to turn left, I hate when the driver across, with no turn signal and presumably going straight, wants me to go first.  Instead of us both waiting for each others, he should go first.  If he wants me to go first, we waste time deciding the order of doing things.  If the left turn is made first, he has to wait for me to complete my entire maneuver before starting his, because the end of my left turn is right in front of him.  This makes our two crossings take longer.  Only the first half of his maneuver is in my way, so if he goes first, I can start my maneuver (my left turn) by going into the intersection and then start the left turn after he's cleared the far (from me) side of the intersection.  This gets us through the intersection a little faster.  There's a good reason the rules are as they are.  He thinks he's being nice letting someone else go first, but I find it annoying because I'm more concerned with knowing what to expect and when to go than with going first.  And if we collide, it's my fault because I was required to yield.

I wouldn't say this is the most common mistake, but it is annoyingly common.  I often don't signal a left turn if there are no cars behind me or behind the driver across from me.  If the other driver doesn't know I want to turn left, he won't try to get me to go first.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

NWI_Irish96

Turning right on red when there is a 'No Turn on Red' sign posted or when oncoming traffic has a green left turn arrow.

Going 5+ mph below the speed limit but doing it in the left lane because they are going to make a left turn in 2 miles.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Dr Frankenstein

Things I see several times per commute:

Not signaling. (which is a pet peeve/berserk button for me)
Left lane or centre lane hogging.
Flooring it on yellows.
Railway crossing violations (flooring it, or stopping then crossing, when the lights and bells are on).

Things that aren't on my commute but happen often enough on other trips:
Pedestrian crosswalk violations.

Brandon

Where, oh where do I begin?  It's hard to figure out what is the the most common driver mistake around Chicagoland.  Is it red light running, stopping past the stop line, stopping a car length or more behind the stop line, lack of turn signals, changing multiple lanes at once, or making a bolting run from the far lane to make an exit?

I'd say it's probably a lack of turn signals, but the others are a close second, third, fourth, etc.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 13, 2013, 04:40:21 PM
Going 5+ mph below the speed limit but doing it in the left lane because they are going to make a left turn in 2 miles.

I've noticed this behavior in Downstate Illinois a lot.  To me it's the "Downstate 5 Below Game", and I hate it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 13, 2013, 04:36:35 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 04:30:44 PMI signalled anyway, and a honk of their horn alerted me to the fact that things were not as I thought.

completely different driving culture out here.  we don't honk to say "oh hey, you should probably not attempt that lane change".  people will make the lane change regardless of who pays attention to their signal, so I just make sure to do so when there is no one in my blind spot. 

(the fact that cars come with blind spots is pretty damn silly in and of itself.)

I noticed that while driving in California.  No one seemed to use their horn.  Here, in the cities of the Midwest (Chicago, Detroit), horn use is very common.  It's along the lines of "hey asshole, you just ran the signal/stop sign", or "hey asshole, get back in your own fricking lane".

Blind spots can be mostly removed on cars anyway by setting up your mirrors right.

oscar

Don't forget pedestrians.  A minor pet peeve of mine is, when I'm waiting to cross at a non-signalized intersection across from my apartment, drivers will often turn on their turn signals in anticipation of the *next* intersection a block away, rather than making the turn at the intersection where I'm at.  If I could count on them making that turn, I could start walking across the street without waiting for them to pass (enough traffic that I usually want not to wait for the next crossing opportunity), but after one close call I know better. 

My bigger peeves are (1) drivers not using their turn signals even with other traffic present, and (2) drivers speeding up, rather than maintaining speed or slowing down, when I signal my intention to move into their lane.  The D.C. area is notorious for (2), which in turn makes (1) worse.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on May 13, 2013, 04:44:18 PM
the most common driver mistake around Chicagoland.

Turning left after the light turned red seven seconds ago.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

Very common errors in Wichita (in addition to not signalling lane changes, which I think Kphoger mentioned above):

*  Fouling a railroad crossing when coming to a stop at a signal ("Do Not Stop On Tracks" signs are used, but ignored by all but a very tiny minority of the driving population--myself included)

*  Failing to turn left to left and right to right as required by Kansas law (Kansas is a UVC direct adopter) (I always signal the final phase of the turn as a lane change if I have to turn left to right or right to left in order to reach a driveway that is very close to the intersection, but almost no-one else does)

*  Using a TWLTL to stage left turns out of driveways

*  Completing a turn by cutting in front of another car that is not actually in the target lane, in the expectation that the other car will hold lane position

The underlying motivation for most of these errors is impatience, compounded by nonexistent to weak access control on section-line arterials, which by default are built out to four lanes (two in each direction) with the addition of a TWLTL--no access management--in high-volume retail districts (e.g. 21st and Maize) once those become established.

Edit:  Another really common error:

*  Changing lane within an intersection (with or without signalling)
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Big John

Quote from: Brandon on May 13, 2013, 04:45:44 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 13, 2013, 04:40:21 PM

Related to one I encounter:  drivers braking/slowing down in the through lanes to make a turn, then enter the turn lane which is long enough to do the deceleration in itself.

I've noticed this behavior in Downstate Illinois a lot.  To me it's the "Downstate 5 Below Game", and I hate it.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brandon on May 13, 2013, 04:50:31 PM
I noticed that while driving in California.  No one seemed to use their horn.  Here, in the cities of the Midwest (Chicago, Detroit), horn use is very common.  It's along the lines of "hey asshole, you just ran the signal/stop sign", or "hey asshole, get back in your own fricking lane".

here in California, horn use seems to be most dedicated to annoying pedestrians and bicyclists who have the legitimate right of way.

"I get 8 miles per gallon in my behemoth SUV.  Fuck you."

QuoteBlind spots can be mostly removed on cars anyway by setting up your mirrors right.

mostly, yes.  I still swivel my head slightly just to be absolutely sure. 

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: oscar on May 13, 2013, 05:05:11 PM

Don't forget pedestrians.  A minor pet peeve of mine is, when I'm waiting to cross at a non-signalized intersection across from my apartment, drivers will often turn on their turn signals in anticipation of the *next* intersection a block away, rather than making the turn at the intersection where I'm at.  If I could count on them making that turn, I could start walking across the street without waiting for them to pass (enough traffic that I usually want not to wait for the next crossing opportunity), but after one close call I know better. 

when one is in a vehicle, this goes from annoying to possibly dangerous.  if I am exiting a driveway, intending to make a right turn, I will not exit even if an approaching vehicle has his turn signal on, as it seems to mean anything from "I intend to take the next driveway" to "I intend to take the next street at the upcoming traffic light" to "I've had it on since Albuquerque".

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 13, 2013, 05:19:24 PM

this is common behavior in California.  somewhere we had a discussion as to whether or not this is legal - it certainly is the norm around here.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 05:13:11 PM

this is a pattern in New York City which must be anticipated.  when a light turns red, left-turning traffic will continue to stream into, and out of, the intersection for a good 5-15 cars.

if you do not stream (illegal as it may be), the people behind you will want to murder you, and signal such intent with the horn.

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 13, 2013, 05:54:56 PM
Quote from: oscar on May 13, 2013, 05:05:11 PM

when one is in a vehicle, this goes from annoying to possibly dangerous.  if I am exiting a driveway, intending to make a right turn, I will not exit even if an approaching vehicle has his turn signal on, as it seems to mean anything from "I intend to take the next driveway" to "I intend to take the next street at the upcoming traffic light" to "I've had it on since Albuquerque".

Just yesterday, I encountered a driver (with new car tags on the vehicle) who wouldn't turn his signal off after changing lanes.  Multiple times.  Hadn't seen that one before.

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 13, 2013, 05:19:24 PM
Very common errors in Wichita (in addition to not signalling lane changes, which I think Kphoger mentioned above):

*  Fouling a railroad crossing when coming to a stop at a signal ("Do Not Stop On Tracks" signs are used, but ignored by all but a very tiny minority of the driving population--myself included)

*  Failing to turn left to left and right to right as required by Kansas law (Kansas is a UVC direct adopter) (I always signal the final phase of the turn as a lane change if I have to turn left to right or right to left in order to reach a driveway that is very close to the intersection, but almost no-one else does)

*  Completing a turn by cutting in front of another car that is not actually in the target lane, in the expectation that the other car will hold lane position

The underlying motivation for most of these errors is impatience, compounded by nonexistent to weak access control on section-line arterials, which by default are built out to four lanes (two in each direction) with the addition of a TWLTL--no access management--in high-volume retail districts (e.g. 21st and Maize) once those become established.

Edit:  Another really common error:

*  Changing lane within an intersection (with or without signalling)

Fouling a railroad crossing (which sounds like an act of vandalism, by the way) - common everywhere, I've noticed, and potentially quite dangerous.

Turning left-to-right or right-to-left - also common everywhere and usually not dangerous, typically only enforced in the Nazi states of Bel Aire and Park City (& al.).

Using your TWLTL in public Using a TWLTL to stage a left exit turn - very common everywhere, borderline necessary (try getting around Branson without it!), and explicitly permitted by Kansas law ("a vehicle shall not be driven in the lane except when preparing for or making a left turn from or into the roadway...").

Cutting someone off by turning into the other lane - doesn't seem to be prohibited by law, other than the aforementioned right-to-right and left-to-left issue (in fact, I know of one heavily trafficked intersection in Illinois that had simultaneous opposing green left- and right-turn arrows, i.e. west-to-north and east-to-north movements), but does have the potential for a wreck.

Changing lanes within an intersection - quite innocuous unless someone is waiting for a break in traffic to turn into the unoccupied lane (see Cutting someone off by turning into... above).
Male pronouns, please.

Alps

People who don't know the following basics:
* 4-way stop (yield to person on right, then proceed - and two people can proceed simultaneously in opposite directions)
* Yield (you can keep moving if no conflicts - especially when you're on a ramp with an added lane)
* Merge (see Yield, except even stupider)
* Alternate feed - I see 6 people try to cut off trucks in this scenario
* Blowing through red lights on a "late yellow"

vdeane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 13, 2013, 05:58:16 PM
Quote from: kphoger on May 13, 2013, 05:13:11 PM

this is a pattern in New York City which must be anticipated.  when a light turns red, left-turning traffic will continue to stream into, and out of, the intersection for a good 5-15 cars.

if you do not stream (illegal as it may be), the people behind you will want to murder you, and signal such intent with the horn.
So if you're at an intersection with a camera, you're supposed to just take the ticket?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

Quote from: vdeane on May 13, 2013, 08:08:15 PM
So if you're at an intersection with a camera, you're supposed to just take the ticket?

I have not been in NYC in a while, but I have not seen an intersection with a camera.  perhaps traffic patterns have changed since ~2009.

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Steve on May 13, 2013, 08:02:29 PM
* Yield (you can keep moving if no conflicts - especially when you're on a ramp with an added lane)

do added-lane on ramps even have YIELD signs?  I don't think I've explicitly noticed one way or the other.

jake@aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.