News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Boring interstate endings

Started by RobbieL2415, May 22, 2017, 09:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobbieL2415

For this list please post Interstate endings that end in an anti-climactic nature.  This could be routes that end at uncompleted interchanges due to truncation or just fizzle out onto surface streets or any other ways you can think of.

Here's some of mine:

I-95, Miami:  Just fizzles out onto US 1 (South Dixie Highway)
I-70, Baltimore:  Ends at a 3/4 cloverleaf (right after an impressive 4-level stack) at MD 122 but was meant to continue into the city proper. 
I-90, Boston:  Literally just has an "End" sign and becomes MA 1A.

1995hoo

I-66 in DC. Either you cut essentially a U-turn onto 27 Street or you go up an ignominious single-lane ramp to either the Whitehurst Freeway or a stub end of L Street NW.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bickendan

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 22, 2017, 09:45:24 PM
I-66 in DC. Either you cut essentially a U-turn onto 27 Street or you go up an ignominious single-lane ramp to either the Whitehurst Freeway or a stub end of L Street NW.

I'd cast my lot with I-395...mandatory double right-turn lanes onto outbound NY Avenue.

cpzilliacus

Eastern end of I-70 is a dead-end at a commuter lot on the western edge of Baltimore City.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jp the roadgeek

I can think of quite a few:

I-384 East End: Merges into US 6/US 44
I-691 East End: Becomes CT 66 expressway then a 2 lane road a little over a mile later
I-291 (MA) North End: Ends at a turnoff signalized intersection with a Mass Pike entrance, but thru traffic becomes Burnett Rd.
I-391 North End: Becomes a Holyoke city street.
I-684 North End: Gradually becomes 2 lane NY 22.
I-787: South end officially ends at a traffic light with US 9W.  North end becomes undivided NY 787 north of (ALT) NY 7.
I-587: Traffic circle at one end, becomes Broadway at the other.
I-295 (MA): North end looks like it can continue straight, but jersey barriers force you to turn right onto I-95 North loop ramp.
I-495 (NY): West end is the Midtown Tunnel, East end is a dead end with a built bridge across the CR 58 ROW.
I-278 West End: Sudden ending at US 1.
I-295 (NY): South end at NY 25.
I-395 North/I-290 West (MA): Sign suddenly says that you're on I-290 East or I-395 South.  Exit numbers unaffected (for now)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

epzik8

I-83 in Baltimore is similar to I-70. I think it was supposed to go out to I-95, but Fells Point residents fought it, and so I-83 instead ends at President and Fayette.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

triplemultiplex

I dunno, I find most of these examples the opposite of boring.  Many of them are evidence of a fascinating history; archeological remnants from a time when urban freeway construction was the hip new thing.

I think a boring ending is one where the interstate designation ends, but a perfectly good (or at least a "good enough") freeway keeps going. 
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

TheStretchofFreeways

I-45 South end in galveston - freeway ends with a traffic light

SM-N915T

paulthemapguy

I-39 ends in Normal, IL.  That sounds pretty boring  :bigass:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Roadgeekteen

I think the Baltimore ending is pretty cool.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

PHLBOS

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 23, 2017, 09:19:18 AMI think a boring ending is one where the interstate designation ends, but a perfectly good (or at least a "good enough") freeway keeps going.
Then the I-495/MA 25 hand-off at the I-195 interchange in Wareham would meet such criteria.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 23, 2017, 11:13:25 AM
Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 23, 2017, 09:19:18 AMI think a boring ending is one where the interstate designation ends, but a perfectly good (or at least a "good enough") freeway keeps going.
Then the I-495/MA 25 hand-off at the I-195 interchange in Wareham would meet such criteria.
that is textbook boring.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bzakharin

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 23, 2017, 09:19:18 AM
I think a boring ending is one where the interstate designation ends, but a perfectly good (or at least a "good enough") freeway keeps going. 
NJ has quite a few of these then.
I-287 South continues as NJ 440 North.
I-195 does this at both ends, continuing east as NJ 138 (there are some traffic lights eventually) and west as NJ 29 (3 miles of freeway before a slow transition into eventually a 2-lane road)

More along the lines of the OP, Manhattan has termini of both I-78 and I-495 that turn into city streets. I-276 terminates at the NJ state line becoming the PA extension of the NJ Turnpike. This used to be unnumbered (and is still unsigned), but is now I-95, so it no longer counts.

hbelkins

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 23, 2017, 09:19:18 AM

I-26's western end (formerly I-181's northern end) at US 11W in Tennessee. The interstate designation ends at the interchange, but a freeway of identical quality continues as US 23 to an interchange with old US 23 (TN 36) right at the Virginia state line.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ColossalBlocks

Interstate 255 in Illinois, just becomes IL-255.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jeffandnicole

I-76 ending at NJ 42 is one of the most bitched about endings, but otherwise nothing spectacular and continues as an interstate-quality highway.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 23, 2017, 01:13:39 PM
I-76 ending at NJ 42 is one of the most bitched about endings, but otherwise nothing spectacular and continues as an interstate-quality highway.
I considered mentioning I-76/NJ 42 but then remembered the way I-295 interchanges w/such both pre- & post-reconstruction makes such a little more interesting.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

hbelkins

I-264 Virginia kinda fizzles out at its eastern end in Virginia Beach. Same for I-381 in Bristol.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jakeroot

What would constitute an "exciting" interstate ending? A big interchange? That doesn't seem that interesting to me. After all, there's big interchanges all over the place.

Personally, I wouldn't count stub ramps as "boring". They're a window into what-was. I-70's eastern end is pretty cool, IMO. There's a lot of history that was never realised.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 23, 2017, 02:01:46 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 23, 2017, 01:13:39 PM
I considered mentioning I-76/NJ 42 but then remembered the way I-295 interchanges w/such both pre- & post-reconstruction makes such a little more interesting.

The actual highway itself is boring, because the transition is under Browning Rd and is completely undetectable.  Even the signage isn't in the right place.  The entire intersection surrounding it is a bit more interesting, being that the touchdown/takeoff points for 295 to/from the south is actually located on Rt. 42 jurisdiction. 

formulanone

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on May 22, 2017, 09:26:37 PM
For this list please post Interstate endings that end in an anti-climactic nature.

I-95, Miami:  Just fizzles out onto US 1 (South Dixie Highway)

Maybe I've just encountered this "end" too many times, but what on earth were you looking for? ...A finish line with confetti and trophies?

doorknob60

I agree that a lot of these are actually kind of interesting, not boring. As for actually boring, I'd say the west end of I-86 (western one). If you aren't paying attention, you won't even notice it ended and that you're now on I-84.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: doorknob60 on May 23, 2017, 04:53:23 PM
I agree that a lot of these are actually kind of interesting, not boring. As for actually boring, I'd say the west end of I-86 (western one). If you aren't paying attention, you won't even notice it ended and that you're now on I-84.

That reminds me of the old 84/86 Eastern transition that PetefromBoston uses as his avatar.  Right by the old Showcase Cinemas in East Hartford, CT you'd see the sign : 84 ENDS, 86 to Boston, and on the other side 86 ENDS, 84 to Hartford.  No fanfare; just a sign.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ilpt4u

Quote from: jakeroot on May 23, 2017, 03:06:06 PM
What would constitute an "exciting" interstate ending? A big interchange? That doesn't seem that interesting to me. After all, there's big interchanges all over the place.
I kinda think the Downtown Chicago I-290 (IL)/Eisenhower Expressway ending is pretty exciting -- the Jane Byrne Circle Interchange with I-90/94, then going through the Old Post Office Building, then the Draw Bridge, then the exit to Lower Wacker Drive (and if you take it, driving under Downtown Chicago), or continuing onto the transition to the Congress Parkway, 1 block south of the South End of the Loop, ultimately Terminating at Buckingham Fountain and Grant Park -- of course I-290 stops about a Mile before the Fountain and Park as that last stretch is the Congress Parkway

Now, the opposite end of I-290 (IL)/Eisenhower Expressway Extension, is pretty boring. If you didn't know it, or paying attention to the "End I-290" marker, you wouldn't even know you weren't on an Interstate anymore, as you continue onto the already built IL-53 Freeway up from I-90 to Lake/Cook Road. Its not a boring area at all, with Woodfield Mall and only a few miles West of ORD, but the end of the Interstate is completely unremarkable

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.