Which I-5 Border Crossing Looks Better?

Started by theroadwayone, October 03, 2017, 02:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadwayone

From an interstate whose ends consist of an interchange with a scenic backdrop and a parking lot, to one that has termini crossing international borders.
The question is: Which end of I-5 looks better, the south end crossing into Mexico, or the north end crossing into Canada?

sparker

Having been to both, I can state that the southern I-5 terminus crossing into Mexico is, in a word. overwhelming.  It's as if Caltrans designed and built their own Checkpoint Charlie -- but to handle 100K VPD in either direction (which it does -- and did!).  But apparently that's not enough -- the whole border-crossing process, at least at that border -- informed by both paranoia and sheer numbers -- has caused enough grief that the entire crossing is being rebuilt and expanded to the west of the current facility.  It's sheer size and architecture is intended to be intimidating to the general public in both countries.

But the northern border crossing (just look at the pix and compare them!) is intended to convey a park-like -- and even pastoral -- experience to those making the trip.  However, the above picture isn't typical -- more often than not there's congestion (particularly now that passports are required for crossing) along this stretch of roadway (prompting many travelers -- myself included -- to use the alternate WA 549/BC 15 crossing immediately to the east).  However -- if I had to be stuck in the traffic intrinsic to the border-crossing process, I'd rather it be at the northern rather than southern border simply because of the relatively benign atmosphere up there -- and, subjectively, I'd rather be stuck in a park than on a 20+ lanes-wide concrete mass!     

JasonOfORoads

Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

bing101

sparker

Quote from: ParrDa on October 04, 2017, 05:41:20 PM
Quote from: sparker on October 03, 2017, 05:22:57 AM
But the northern border crossing (just look at the pix and compare them!) is intended to convey a park-like -- and even pastoral -- experience to those making the trip.  However, the above picture isn't typical -- more often than not there's congestion (particularly now that passports are required for crossing) along this stretch of roadway (prompting many travelers -- myself included -- to use the alternate WA 549/BC 15 crossing immediately to the east).

If "many" people are taking the alternate, maybe you should try I-5 again. Probably empty  :D

As the I-5 "Peace Arch" is the most heavily-used border crossing from the Pacific to the Great Lakes, "many" only diverts part of the traffic -- trucks use it because BC 15 is a shortcut to the Trans-Canada 1 freeway, which, unlike BC 99, the extension of I-5, doesn't plop you out onto Vancouver streets.  Both adjacent crossings see plenty of activity pretty much 24/7.  You want empty?  Try the WA 9 crossing at Sumas about 20 miles east; usually maxes out at about a dozen cars in line.

kkt

That is a quiet day at Peace Arch, usually the traffic is backed up at least as far as where the picture was taken.

Peace Arch is certainly prettier than San Diego, but they don't do the same thing.  It's like comparing a Jaguar to a moving van.

J N Winkler

Another factor to consider is that a less heavily traveled crossing may take longer to clear if the processing time per vehicle is much higher.  I personally prefer smaller crossings because not being surrounded by hundreds of other vehicles expands my freedom of action to deal with unexpected contingencies, but I have few illusions about it taking less time to clear them.  It took far less time to clear Sault Ste. Marie (I-75) in 2016 than it did to clear Rouses Point (US 11) in 2017, for example, even though these ports of entry are nominally in the same CBP inspection grouping running from Lake Champlain to Detroit.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: sparker on October 04, 2017, 06:05:43 PM
... trucks use it because BC 15 is a shortcut to the Trans-Canada 1 freeway ...
Also, they use it because they have to. Trucks are not allowed on I-5 north of exit 275.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.