News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Historic signage for previous routings?

Started by US-175, October 03, 2017, 05:53:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US-175

We have seen this done sporadically with Route 66, but should other routes' previous versions have any kind of signage labeling them?  I guess this is most applicable to US routes, but maybe there are scattered examples of state routes that might have enough local importance to have this treatment also.  If so, should this be done by the state's DOT, a local/county authority, or maybe state/local historical groups?

roadman

Apart from Route 66, are there any other US routes that have been discontinued/rerouted where the old segments are long enough to justify identifying them with a "Historic Route XX" designation?
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

Well, the various routings of the Lincoln Highway tend to be signed rather well (at least in the Midwest).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

MNHighwayMan

Historic sections of US-6 are marked in Iowa. Not sure if the trend continues (or has any reason to) in Nebraska/Illinois, though.

Edit: How hasty of me to forget these kind of odd looking US-61 markers that have popped up along old 61 in Minnesota.

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kurumi on October 03, 2017, 11:39:04 AM
Some others are here: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3428.0

Including 101, 99, 30, 40, 6, 395, and even 441.

CA 49 had them as well in California, I believe I have photo somewhere from Mokelumne Hill.

JasonOfORoads

Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

sparker

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 03, 2017, 03:01:10 PM

CA 49 had them as well in California, I believe I have photo somewhere from Mokelumne Hill.

IIRC, there's a couple in Auburn as well.  And the old historic 49 route through Placerville is still in use today as the CA 49 mainline -- try as Caltrans has done from time to time to effect a bypass (shot down each attempt).

I'd like to see historic mileage delineated in my home town of San Jose (101, 17) as well as within Sacramento (if one could narrow down a particular timeframe to use as reference!).  I've previously posited my concept of using a combination of current freeway (where appropriate via overlay) and in-city former routes to effect a continuous Historic US 99 in the event that CA 99 is elevated to Interstate status (it could conceivably also be used without a designation change, although that may end up being somewhat confusing to motorists -- and something Caltrans wouldn't much care for).  US 101 might get that treatment as well -- although separate historic segments through bypassed alignments and/or towns along the route might be more appropriate for that route.

In short -- CA could benefit from quite a bit of historic signage on various routes -- provided the original alignments remain along their historic routings.   

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: sparker on October 03, 2017, 05:04:03 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 03, 2017, 03:01:10 PM

IIRC, there's a couple in Auburn as well.  And the old historic 49 route through Placerville is still in use today as the CA 49 mainline -- try as Caltrans has done from time to time to effect a bypass (shot down each attempt).

I'd like to see historic mileage delineated in my home town of San Jose (101, 17) as well as within Sacramento (if one could narrow down a particular timeframe to use as reference!).  I've previously posited my concept of using a combination of current freeway (where appropriate via overlay) and in-city former routes to effect a continuous Historic US 99 in the event that CA 99 is elevated to Interstate status (it could conceivably also be used without a designation change, although that may end up being somewhat confusing to motorists -- and something Caltrans wouldn't much care for).  US 101 might get that treatment as well -- although separate historic segments through bypassed alignments and/or towns along the route might be more appropriate for that route.

In short -- CA could benefit from quite a bit of historic signage on various routes -- provided the original alignments remain along their historic routings.   

Surprisingly I don't have any of the Historic 49s in my photo inventory but I found the locations on the GSV that I'm aware of:

Mokelumne Hill:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2983931,-120.7053361,3a,37.5y,322.14h,86.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_RelnxhjCkuVwZuhdvF55w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

San Andreas:

https://www.google.com/maps/@38.2291014,-120.7048795,3a,37y,173.94h,80.09t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sAqHpTNG4ueyRFasHNrUP_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Really 49 lends itself to historic alignments given the huge amount of history the route has being associated with the Gold Rush.  Most of the original routings through most cities on 49 were on some Old West style Main Street.  Really I would love to see more historic routes on 49 in cities like Jackson and Sonora since they tend to go through the most scenic parts of those cities.  Out of the state highways really on the only other that I can think of that come close to having some really cool historic route potential would be 1.  I'd love to see a historic CA 1 route for places like Morro Bay and Monterey.

One that I forgot about that is signed extensively well is Historic US 89A in Verde Valley, Arizona:

89AUSa by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

ilpt4u

Old 13 is designated as such in Southern IL where the road has shifted to the new IL 13

Old 51 is also designated in Southern IL, again parallel to the new US 51. In Northern IL, old US 51 has been signed as IL 251

In Southern IN, Old 37 is designated, the previous route before the IN 37 Divided Highway opened (which is currently being upgraded to I-69 between Indy and Bloomington)

I don't know if any of these have shields, but there certainly are Street Signs that designate the routes as "Old ##"

dgolub

If we were allowed to do this with state routes, having Historic NY 27A on Long Island would be very helpful.

jp the roadgeek

There's Old Route 10 between Grantham and Enfield, NH which is an abandoned segment of NH 10 after it was duplexed with I-89. 

Quote from: dgolub on October 04, 2017, 09:21:34 AM
If we were allowed to do this with state routes, having Historic NY 27A on Long Island would be very helpful.

Well, they're allowed to designate state routes as "Scenic" right on the sign, so why not historic?  Just ask RIDOT:

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kurumi

Historic signs for New England Interstate routes would be awesome.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

bing101

California is also most notable for having Historic US-40 signs in Solano County and parts of Sacramento county. US-40 was moved to I-80 in California though.

DandyDan

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on October 03, 2017, 11:32:39 AM
Historic sections of US-6 are marked in Iowa. Not sure if the trend continues (or has any reason to) in Nebraska/Illinois, though.

Edit: How hasty of me to forget these kind of odd looking US-61 markers that have popped up along old 61 in Minnesota.

Historical US 6 is marked, if not well, in Gretna, NE.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

TheStranger

Quote from: sparker on October 03, 2017, 05:04:03 PM
within Sacramento (if one could narrow down a particular timeframe to use as reference!).

I've seen historic US 40 signage along West Capitol Avenue in West Sacramento, along Del Paso Boulevard in North Sacramento, and on Auburn Boulevard paralleling Business 80.

I feel like the lack of historic 99 or historic 50 signage though might correlate with both numbers still being used actively in the area.  i.e. San Diego County has Historic 101 signage in places...because the later US 101 is now I-5

IIRC there was "Historic Route 163" signage on the Cabrillo Freeway a few years back, a misnomer as the historic designation for that is US 395.
Chris Sampang

vdeane

VT 100 in Morrisvile was signed Historic VT 100 when the bypass was first put in (since put back, with the bypass being either "truck" or "bypass").  There's also "Historic" VT 7A (actually an old alignment of US 7), and VT 7B is also former US 7.  I think VT 4A and most of US 4 business are former US 4 as well.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

D-Dey65

I still think that if NYSDOT Region 10 had built the North Shore Expressway, they should've renamed current segments of NY 25A as "NY 25H." Not only for the Town of Huntington, but as the Historic route. Mind you, I'm just talking about the segment between in Huntington and Smithtown. The part of NY 25A north and east of NY 108 should've been an extension of Route 108.

kkt

The old Spanish highway El Camino Real in California from San Diego to Sonoma has mission bells along it.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on October 06, 2017, 05:23:19 PM
The old Spanish highway El Camino Real in California from San Diego to Sonoma has mission bells along it.

Only problem is that it is signed for the most part on modern US 101 when it could be on actual alignments. 

mrsman

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 06, 2017, 10:34:55 PM
Quote from: kkt on October 06, 2017, 05:23:19 PM

Only problem is that it is signed for the most part on modern US 101 when it could be on actual alignments.

Agreed.  Many of the old alignments are well known and should be designated.  One purpose of historic signs (or business route signs) should be to foster econiomic development.  Point out the old routing to drive customers down your town's main street and then allow them to conutinue back onto the highway.   For most direct routings, stay on the highway (which should have the un-bannered route).

I see no purpose in having CA 82.  But signing the route as Business US 101 and/or El Camino Real (not just as its legal name, but as a signed statewide route that continues on stretches like Mission Rd in SF that do not have ECR as the legal name) would bring traffic to spur business growth, especially in rural areas.

fillup420

North Carolina has an extensive selection of roads named "Old US/NC xx Hwy" . Usually these are places where the previous route was relocated. US 421 has tons of them all along the route, as does US 74, and other important highways that have seen many upgrades over the years

US71

Don't forget Jefferson Highway, Lincoln Highway, and the National Road. There is a big push to sign the Jefferson Highway, especially in Iowa,  as they already have done with the Lincoln Highway.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 04, 2017, 01:28:10 AM
Old 13 is designated as such in Southern IL where the road has shifted to the new IL 13

Old 51 is also designated in Southern IL, again parallel to the new US 51. In Northern IL, old US 51 has been signed as IL 251

In Southern IN, Old 37 is designated, the previous route before the IN 37 Divided Highway opened (which is currently being upgraded to I-69 between Indy and Bloomington)

I don't know if any of these have shields, but there certainly are Street Signs that designate the routes as "Old ##"

I'm not familiar with the Indiana one, but both 13 and 51 in Illinois are not signed with shields.  That's just the name of the road, which is by no means an uncommon thing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Over on the Mountain States Board there is a thread about the City of Tucson considering Historic US 80 signage. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.