News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia Turnpike
Last post by plain - Today at 09:48:27 PM
Quote from: GCrites on Today at 08:21:34 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on Today at 05:32:01 PMPlus most Turnpike non-local traffic passes thru Beckley whether they come in from US-19, I-68 or from either end of I-77. So everyone would hit at least one toll barrier regardless.

That's likely why Beckley got the big service plaza and the other two are smaller. Going all the way back to when you could access all three plazas from both directions.

Terrain might have played the biggest role at Morton. As far as Bluestone is concerned, not sure. Costs may have been a factor also, at both.

The Beckley plaza has Tamarack nearby, so that may have been a factor of connecting both directions to it.
Sports / Re: Arizona Coyotes players ap...
Last post by Henry - Today at 09:35:25 PM
Just as we expected: Ryan and Ashley Smith (the new team owners) have already determined that the new name will include Utah to match their other team, the Jazz. More details to come later on, possibly this summer...
Central States / Re: Oklahoma
Last post by Plutonic Panda - Today at 09:34:36 PM
We must be living in 2 different universes. Then because from what i've seen, the issue hardly extends to lawton Only. The 4 lane highway bullshit that is built is a statewide thing Oklahoma does. If a lot of money is being spent there it doesn't show.
Traffic Control / Re: Road Sign UNO
Last post by Henry - Today at 09:31:00 PM
Exit 880 off I-10, aka the highest exit number anywhere in America:

Off-Topic / Re: Business Marquees which fe...
Last post by Dirt Roads - Today at 09:27:26 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on Today at 01:53:10 PMWhat's the point of perfect vision if what you're looking at is wrong?

Maybe the owner is one of us "fractional" guys from West Virginia?
Off-Topic / Re: Technology Random Access T...
Last post by Dirt Roads - Today at 09:24:22 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on Today at 06:39:17 AMI mean, from what you hear from the Unix old timers, neither Fortran nor JCL were any good at being programming languages, so I'm not entirely sure you should feel bad about not being good at them:

Actually, I meant that I wasn't good at getting IBM Fortran to interact with VSAM to keep oneself from having to load the entire database before finding a record at a known location. 

To be honest, I didn't have all that much programming experience in my career.  But I was proficient in the myriad of differences between FORTRAN3, FORTRAN4, FORTRAN77, IBM Fortran, VAX Fortran, MS Fortran, and Microsoft VisualFortran.  Including the fact that Microsoft couldn't get their function calls for matrix multiplication to work with imaginary numbers (which are indeed required in calculating the power flow when trains are in motion).  And yes, I still have my old JCL Programmers Card around here somewhere.

As for the UNIX folks, I can understand where most of them were coming from.  Folks that used JCL and Fortran were geared for engineering calculations.  Folks that used UNIX and the old C were wired for telecomms.  I had one friend (now deceased) who was superb at both (he worked for both AT&T and a rocket propulsion simulation consultancy).  I had several times that I needed to use UNIX, but even those were programming with Fortan77.  Looks like I just got stuck in a rut.
Northeast / Re: NYC Roads
Last post by D-Dey65 - Today at 09:16:30 PM
Quote from: Rothman on Today at 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: crispy93 on Today at 08:55:26 AMLooks like NYC will soon be able to lower its default speed limit (again) to 20 mph this time: https://archive.is/v6Gax

Meh.  25 mph was a good one.  If enforcement isn't cutting it now, it certainly won't at 20.
I guess the people calling for this are forgetting that we have cars so we can go faster than horses and buggies. That and not having to leave horse or other animal shit on the streets. Are they seriously trying to bring us back to 19th Century speed limits?

Off-Topic / Re: Business Marquees which fe...
Last post by WillWeaverRVA - Today at 08:37:22 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on Today at 01:53:10 PMWhat's the point of perfect vision if what you're looking at is wrong?

They should've opened this up somewhere on US 1.
Mid-South / Re: Texas
Last post by bwana39 - Today at 08:27:57 PM
Quote from: monty on April 18, 2024, 04:07:57 PMIH 27 improvements from Canyon to Amarillo announced.

https://www.amarillo.com/story/news/2024/04/16/txdot-construction-upgrades-to-impact-i-27-from-amarillo-to-canyon/73345835007/

I guess so. Most of the Amarillo to Canyon segment has become urban.

It seems to me it would have been better allocated on US-287 from I-40 to Claude....

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.