News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on December 27, 2019, 09:54:24 AM
Quote from: Beltway on December 26, 2019, 12:45:42 PM
How else and get all ...  ?
You don't pile large amounts of more debt upon large amounts of previous and unretired debt.
That is not a sustainable process, increasing amounts of P + I need to be serviced every month.
Financial Management 101.
You did work for state DOTs, right?  Your shock at this is rather strange.  Resistance to raising taxes has forced a lot of states to go to bonding to ridiculous levels to meet citizens' demands.  Heck, NY's drunk on personal income tax bonds right now, with them funding megaprojects (Hunts Point, Van Wyck) and other initiatives. I want to confirm how much of the capital program is funded in this manner, because what I think it is off the top of my head is unbelievable.
Yes indeed, and I saw what it did to PennDOT in the 1970s, where it took at least 20 years to dig themselves out of the hole.

That is the fundamental reason for such poor maintenance and so many obsolete roads that didn't get upgraded, from the 1970s to about 2000.

They have gradually improved their highway system after paying off those debts (I heard $2 billion in the 1970s which was ruinous given the costs of construction and maintenance at that time) and have actually gotten their system back to the point where I would consider their road system the equal of most other states in quality.

That is why I am so cautious about public financial management using general obligation bonds.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

jakeroot

I'm driving from Arlington to Halifax (VA) tomorrow. Any suggested route that is relatively scenic but not insanely long?

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on December 28, 2019, 01:06:44 PM
I'm driving from Arlington to Halifax (VA) tomorrow. Any suggested route that is relatively scenic but not insanely long?

I used to pass through Halifax on my way from Durham to Charlottesville or vice versa. From Arlington, use US-29 down past Charlottesville to Lynchburg. It dumps you into a concurrency with US-460 at the end of the new bypass around Lynchburg. Take the exit for US-501 south. Follow it to Rustburg and make a right to stay on US-501. Follow it to Brookneal and make another right to stay on US-501. That'll take you down to Halifax.

I don't recall it being any more scenic than other routes, but it worked very well for my needs. Note Route 501 is all two-lane roads, if that matters to you.

If instead you opt for US-360 coming from Richmond, make sure you slow down after the US-360/-460 split just west of Burkeville. Hold the speed limit past Green Bay and Meherrin. I've almost always seen someone pulled over through there.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2019, 02:00:18 PM

I used to pass through Halifax on my way from Durham to Charlottesville or vice versa. From Arlington, use US-29 down past Charlottesville to Lynchburg. It dumps you into a concurrency with US-460 at the end of the new bypass around Lynchburg. Take the exit for US-501 south. Follow it to Rustburg and make a right to stay on US-501. Follow it to Brookneal and make another right to stay on US-501. That'll take you down to Halifax.

I don't recall it being any more scenic than other routes, but it worked very well for my needs. Note Route 501 is all two-lane roads, if that matters to you.

If instead you opt for US-360 coming from Richmond, make sure you slow down after the US-360/-460 split just west of Burkeville. Hold the speed limit past Green Bay and Meherrin. I've almost always seen someone pulled over through there.

Awesome tips, hoo. Thank you; will update once I've determined a preferred route. I'm certainly not afraid of two lane roads, minus my tendency to become annoyed at those who doddle. But that's life in rural areas, I suppose.

sprjus4

I-64 Segment III Project Update
QuoteBridge and Median Construction Activity Underway

Despite decreasing temperatures, progress on the project continues to steadily heat up along the 8.2 miles of interstate and six bridges within the Segment III corridor, located roughly between the two Route 199 exits (Exit 234 and Exit 242) in York County.

Crews are continuing drainage pipe installations, earth-moving operations, and work on various stages of the layers of roadway for widening in the median. Clearing and grubbing operations are also taking place on the outside shoulders in areas of future stormwater ponds.

In multiple locations throughout the corridor, a majority of the roadwork for the new lanes in the median is nearly complete, with final paving work to begin once weather and temperatures allow. Traffic is continuing to travel along the outside lanes of I-64; however, the next phase of traffic shifts to the newly constructed median lanes are currently estimated to begin this spring or sooner, weather permitting.

Environmental controls also continue to remain an important focus for the project team. Not only does this include the continual inspection, maintenance and installation of erosion and sediment controls in place throughout the project site, but new measures are also being installed on a regular basis. Examples of these include the recent installation of a turbidity curtain in Queens Lake and continued construction underway of both temporary and permanent stormwater management facilities.

The three sets of bridges on the project are also seeing construction activity as follows:

Lakeshead Drive Bridges

The rehabilitation work and replacement of the existing bridge bearings on the I-64 bridges over Lakeshead Drive have been completed. Pile driving operations, placement of structural concrete at pier footings and columns, and the setting of bridge girders for the new sections of the Lakeshead Drive bridges have also been completed as seen pictured at the right.

Starting after the new year, occasional flagging operations may still occur on Lakeshead Drive on a less frequent basis to allow for the safety of motorists and crews during some of the planned bridge demolition and construction activities.

Colonial Parkway Bridges

Excavation for the abutment footings and wing walls have been completed and are currently being formed and poured on the I-64 bridge over Colonial Parkway.

A long-term, single-lane closure alternating each direction of traffic via a temporary traffic signal on Colonial Parkway is anticipated to begin in early 2020 to begin the formation of the bridge arches and masonry work.

Queens Creek Bridges

Unlike the other four Segment III bridges being rehabilitated and widened, the east- and westbound bridges on I-64 over Queens Creek will receive a full replacement.

Construction of the temporary trestle bridge and causeway has been completed, providing construction access over the water.

Structural concrete has been placed at all pier cap locations, and test and production pile driving operations have been completed for the new westbound bridge.

Crews are continuing to set girders, place steel, and pour the bridge decks for the new westbound bridge.

A temporary traffic shift moving eastbound traffic to the newly constructed westbound bridge is anticipated to begin as early as this spring to allow for the demolition and reconstruction of the eastbound bridge.

Beltway

I ride thru this about once a week.  Interesting construction including a major box culvert, and 3 different types of retaining wall.  Will get rid of a hateful 4-way stop sign, with signals being installed at the intersection.  Just east of the VA-288/Lucks Lane interchange in Chesterfield County.

https://www.chesterfieldobserver.com/articles/lucks-lane-widening-project-a-year-behind-schedule/
Lucks Lane widening project a year behind schedule
January 01, 2020
Excerpts:

QuoteConstruction to widen Lucks Lane — from two lanes to four — near state Route 288 in Midlothian is a year behind schedule and $653,000 over budget.

Subpar performance by the contractor hired to widen a 1.3-mile stretch of Lucks Lane in Midlothian is expected to delay the $19 million project at least a year beyond its original completion date, a county official acknowledged recently.

Deputy County Administrator Jesse Smith, formerly Chesterfield's transportation director, told the Board of Supervisors last month that the project most likely won't be finished until August 2020 at the earliest.  "Even that could get pushed back,"  Smith said in a presentation at the board's December work session.

Under the terms of the county's November 2017 construction contract with Fielder's Choice Enterprises, the Troy, Virginia, company had until the end of August 2019 to widen Lucks Lane from two to four lanes between Spirea Lane and state Route 288.
[...]

The county says transforming Lucks Lane into a modern four-lane divided highway, with sidewalks, bicycle lanes and improved right- and left-turn lanes, is needed to more efficiently manage traffic volume and alleviate vehicle accidents — both of which have increased significantly since the northern section of Route 288 opened in 2004.

In addition to residents of several subdivisions that have direct access to Lucks Lane, many other motorists now use it to get from Courthouse Road to 288 and bypass tolls on the nearby Powhite Parkway extension.

More than 13,000 vehicles per day currently use the interchange at 288 and Lucks Lane. That number is projected to reach 21,700 by 2038.

The northern- and southern most stretches of Lucks Lane already are four lanes. The Board of Supervisors authorized county staff to proceed with widening the remaining two-lane segment in 2012, but it took several years to obtain state funding, relocate utilities and acquire right of way from more than 50 adjacent property owners.

The county solicited bids from interested construction companies in 2017 and Fielder's Choice Enterprises won the project with a $12.5 million bid.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

tolbs17

the funny thing about I-64 in hampton roads is that the sign doesn't even say if you are going west I-64 to Suffolk to east I-64 Virginia beach.

I'm guessing they did that to avoid confusion because of the weird jughandle. I-74 in North Carolina would be the same way if it ever got built like that (which i'm pretty sure it wont).

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on December 28, 2019, 03:01:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 28, 2019, 02:00:18 PM

Awesome tips, hoo. Thank you; will update once I've determined a preferred route. I'm certainly not afraid of two lane roads, minus my tendency to become annoyed at those who doddle. But that's life in rural areas, I suppose.

We ended up using 95 > 85 > US-58. Going back was US-360 > Route 288 > 295 > 95. Weather on the second day was fine enough to use some more interesting back roads, hence our decision to use less interstates. Still, we ended up on the 95 because we had to pick up my sister at DCA around 4pm. She was planning to fly through Dulles but the DCA flights ended up being more open (flying standby).

1995hoo

"The 95" ????  :thumbdown:

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 03, 2020, 09:22:33 AM

Sounds like a traffic report on KNX-1070 (which cannot generally be heard over-the-air in Virginia, though it is possible to stream them).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

famartin

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 03, 2020, 11:48:37 AM

Sounds like a traffic report on KNX-1070 (which cannot generally be heard over-the-air in Virginia, though it is possible to stream them).

Its definitely a SoCal thing to call any route "The xx" (where XX is the route number). I remember watching an episode of American Dad (which is supposed to take place in Fairfax County more or less, since he works at the CIA) and the dad references "The 495". While it probably flew over most viewers heads, I immediately realized this episode had been written by a SoCal native, or at least someone who'd been there long enough to assume the lingo is universal.

mrsman

Quote from: famartin on January 03, 2020, 01:50:57 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 03, 2020, 11:48:37 AM

Its definitely a SoCal thing to call any route "The xx" (where XX is the route number). I remember watching an episode of American Dad (which is supposed to take place in Fairfax County more or less, since he works at the CIA) and the dad references "The 495". While it probably flew over most viewers heads, I immediately realized this episode had been written by a SoCal native, or at least someone who'd been there long enough to assume the lingo is universal.

Generally speaking so much of TV and movies originates out of the LA area.  While over the years, many shows were meant to take place in the Midwest or other areas to seem more "average American", enough people have called out that the writers don't typically know anything about such places, so more and more TV shows are set to take place in L.A. unless circumstances dictate that it must take place in a different city.  i guess they realize that there are average families in Sherman Oaks and Torrance and that they don't have to pretend that their show takes place in Peoria or Kansas City.

As an L.A. native who now lives in the DC area, when I first got here, there were plenty of people who rolled their eyes when I referred to the 270 or the 495.  I eventually got the local lingo.  But the 5 and the 101 will always be the 5 and the 101.

jakeroot

:-D Just following what my mother says. She takes "the 395" to work in the morning.

I don't know local lingo. Only thing we say without "the" is "US 1", which we either refer to as "Richmond Highway" or "Route 1".

Technically it's not full LA lingo, since I've started referring to every numbered road as "the". I believe LA lingo only uses the indefinite article for freeways.

So far, I've not had locals act disgusted towards my speech patterns.

famartin

Quote from: jakeroot on January 03, 2020, 05:31:09 PM

:-D Just following what my mother says. She takes "the 395" to work in the morning.

I don't know local lingo. Only thing we say without "the" is "US 1", which we either refer to as "Richmond Highway" or "Route 1".

Technically it's not full LA lingo, since I've started referring to every numbered road as "the". I believe LA lingo only uses the indefinite article for freeways.

So far, I've not had locals act disgusted towards my speech patterns.

I'm guessing she's from out west?

jakeroot

Quote from: famartin on January 03, 2020, 11:38:09 PM
I'm guessing she's from out west?

Not really from anywhere. Military family. Same with myself. Hence why I'm not bothered by the various ways in which highways are referred to.

1995hoo

Most people using route numbers here will just use the number without a descriptor, except sometimes for Interstates: "Take 395 to 110 to 66, exit at Glebe Road, make a right, then make a left on 16th Street and the hospital is on the right." It'd be just as common to hear "Take I-395 to 110 to I-66 ...." Some people say "Route," although that seems more common as to non-Interstates ("take 495 to Route 50"). Other than when a clarification is needed or requested, most people don't seem to bother with descriptions like "US-" or "VA-" or "MD-," although when I type directions for someone I always include them in the hope that knowing the route type might provide an additional visual cue when watching for road signs.

There's no real rule of thumb as to which arterials are referred to by name and which by number, although in Virginia most of the time you'll hear the name for secondary routes. Route 644 in Fairfax County is a notable exception, mainly because the radio traffic reporters call it by number. I assume that's for clarity because it changes names, but keeps its number, as it crosses I-95 in Springfield.

amroad17

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 02, 2020, 11:25:30 PM
the funny thing about I-64 in hampton roads is that the sign doesn't even say if you are going west I-64 to Suffolk to east I-64 Virginia beach.

I'm guessing they did that to avoid confusion because of the weird jughandle. I-74 in North Carolina would be the same way if it ever got built like that (which i'm pretty sure it wont).
Signing I-64's correct cardinal directions was tried in the early 1980's, around 1981 or 1982, I believe.  It was quickly rescinded because of "motorist confusion".   The only cardinal direction I-64 signs left are at Exit 297 on US 13/460-Military Hwy.

Regarding your comment above, if I-64 was signed "I-64 EAST/ Suffolk" and a motorist knew they were heading west to reach Suffolk, they would be wondering what the heck was going on.  That is why I-64 has not had cardinal directions from the Indian River Road interchange to Bowers Hill.  It is just a product of the way I-64 was constructed.

Now, the reassurance signs have, along with I-64, a Hampton Roads Beltway sign with Inner Loop/Outer Loop directions on them to help motorists.

I had, a long time ago when I lived in Hampton Roads (Chesapeake-Western Branch High School graduate, 1980), thought of maybe having North-South cardinal directions on I-64 from either the I-664 interchange or the Mallory interchange to its end in Bowers Hill to help motorists.  The reasoning was that (a) I-64 does follow a north-south direction from the Hampton Coliseum to Indian River Road, where it begins to head west and (b) BYP US 13 was signed on I-64 from Bowers Hill to Northampton Blvd until 1981 with North-South cardinal directions (South/Suffolk, North/Va. Beach).  Alas, another solution was enacted out of "What to do about the I-64 issue in Hampton Roads?".
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on January 04, 2020, 09:12:09 AM
The only cardinal direction I-64 signs left are at Exit 297 on US 13/460-Military Hwy.
When the Dominion Blvd improvements were completed in 2017, the new overhead signage associated with that utilizes the cardinal directions as they previously were... "East"  when heading towards west Suffolk, and "West"  when heading towards east towards Va Beach. It makes me wonder why brought it back.

amroad17

Looking at Google Maps, I see that it was done on the one overhead sign bridge--agree in your assessment of why it was brought back.

VDOT needs to fix the Dominion Lakes/Bainbridge Blvd. exit signage, including adding VA 166 NORTH to the sign.  The current ones look horrific and unprofessional--1/4 MILE in the EXIT panel...sheesh!

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on January 05, 2020, 07:17:47 AM
VDOT needs to fix the Dominion Lakes/Bainbridge Blvd. exit signage, including adding VA 166 NORTH to the sign.  The current ones look horrific and unprofessional--1/4 MILE in the EXIT panel...sheesh!
Agreed, those signs are painful to look at. But it was the city of Chesapeake who built and operates the roadway, not VDOT, so they're the ones to blame.

The signs do though include VA-166 North shields in both directions.

amroad17

I guess I was so appalled at the EXIT tab that I honestly did not pay attention to the VA 166 NORTH on the sign.  :pan: 

sprjus4

Quote from: amroad17 on January 06, 2020, 07:12:35 AM
I guess I was so appalled at the EXIT tab that I honestly did not pay attention to the VA 166 NORTH on the sign.  :pan:
It amazes me that they put the distance in the exit tab for the VA-166 exit, but somehow managed to do it the correct way for the other interchanges.

The southbound exit overhead signage doesn't even have a proper arrow on the sign, since apparently putting "Last Exit Before Toll"  now allows you to omit the arrow.

VTGoose

Quote from: mrsman on January 03, 2020, 02:54:45 PM
Generally speaking so much of TV and movies originates out of the LA area.  While over the years, many shows were meant to take place in the Midwest or other areas to seem more "average American", enough people have called out that the writers don't typically know anything about such places, so more and more TV shows are set to take place in L.A. unless circumstances dictate that it must take place in a different city.  i guess they realize that there are average families in Sherman Oaks and Torrance and that they don't have to pretend that their show takes place in Peoria or Kansas City.

It would have helped if they looked at a map once in a while. One of the worst shows for geography was JAG, which had the team zipping from Washington to Norfolk like they were just going across the river to Bethesda, or taking a quick jaunt to the middle of West Virginia, put in a full day investigating, and be back at quitting time. The absolute worst error was when they had Harm flying out of "Blacksburg," which wasn't too much of a stretch, except he was flying a crop duster to fly over the cotton crops. The spin-off, NCIS, isn't much better with its geography (although props to the production crew for having Virginia license plates and driver's licenses look like the real thing).

Bruce in Blacksburg (where cotton doesn't grow in the mountains)
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

cpzilliacus

Quote from: VTGoose on January 06, 2020, 09:45:48 AM

Only place where I have personally seen cotton growing in the Commonwealth is in Northampton County and just to the north in Accomack County on the Eastern Shore.

Not saying it does not grow in other counties in Virginia, but I have not seen it and identified it as cotton (I am not an expert at the identification of most plants, but cotton when it comes close to harvest time is pretty easy).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sprjus4

Quote from: cpzilliacus on January 07, 2020, 07:23:56 PM
Quote from: VTGoose on January 06, 2020, 09:45:48 AM

Only place where I have personally seen cotton growing in the Commonwealth is in Northampton County and just to the north in Accomack County on the Eastern Shore.

Not saying it does not grow in other counties in Virginia, but I have not seen it and identified it as cotton (I am not an expert at the identification of most plants, but cotton when it comes close to harvest time is pretty easy).
Driving between Suffolk and I-95 along US-58, you see cotton fields along that corridor during the season.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.