News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfilpus

Quote from: OracleUsr on May 15, 2012, 06:16:16 PM
I drove across the bridge a couple of months ago.

Never did figure out how you take Exit 84, turn left and go to Spencer.
Currently, if you take Exit 84, you can make a hard left turn onto Old Salisbury Road, which will take you down to US 29/70 just east of the old highway bridge. You can only turn left onto the bridge. There is one lane open westbound. After the end of the bridge, traffic is diverted onto a temporary road paralelling the highway. You reenter US 29/70 at the barricades.

cpzilliacus

News & Observer: Taking a toll: Drivers knock DOT's plans for I-95

QuoteNorth Carolina drivers who use Interstate 95 the most know it's in bad shape. But some out on their Sunday drives said they would avoid using the highway if the state started collecting tolls to improve it.

QuoteTheir reaction illustrates one of the challenges to adding tolls to an existing road, even to upgrade one as worn as I-95. Construction of the major north-south highway started in North Carolina in the mid-1950s and ended in 1980. Some sections of the four-lane corridor have seen no improvements since they were built.

QuoteToll opposition has united Republican and Democratic lawmakers, who have teamed to file bills giving the legislature final say over tolling the interstate. A bill to block federal approval of the toll filed by U.S. Rep. Renee Ellmers, a Republican from Dunn, has bipartisan support among the state's congressional delegation.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

News & Observer: Class-action ruling could add thousands of drivers to Cary red-light camera lawsuit

QuoteA Wake County judge has granted class-action status to a lawsuit filed by two drivers against Cary's red-light camera traffic enforcement system, opening the possibility that Cary could be forced to refund $50 tickets paid by thousands of drivers since late 2009.

QuoteThe lawsuit was filed in 2010 by Brian Ceccarelli, an Apex computer consultant. He blames his November 2009 ticket on a fleeting yellow light at Cary Towne Boulevard and Convention Drive, arguing that it was too brief to give drivers time to stop safely before the light turned red.

QuoteCeccarelli calls himself a physicist on the strength of his undergraduate degree in physics from the University of Arizona. He argues that it is impossible for drivers to stop their cars in the short time allowed, citing Newton's second law of motion, which explains the relationship between the mass of an object and the amount of force needed to make it accelerate or decelerate.

QuoteCeccarelli's arguments were dismissed in 2010 in formal papers published by the Institute of Transportation Engineers (ITE) and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), but he expressed disdain in reply.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

CanesFan27

The Diverging Diamond Interchange - started in France - imported to Missouri - and slowly appearing in North Carolina - is being proposed at one of the busiest interchanges in the Asheville area.  If built, the Interstate 26 interchange with NC 280 will be home of the seventh type interchange within the state.

This interchange also serves Asheville Regional Airport and the area has seen significant growth over the last two decades.  Construction on the new DDI interchange should begin in the fall of 2013 at a cost of $6.4 million.

Story Link: http://www.hendersonvillelightning.com/news/375-dot-previews-interchange-design-for-n-c-280.html

CarolinaPaladin

Is a diverging diamond interchange still under consideration in Waynesville at US-23/US-74 and Hyatt Creek Road (US-23 Business)?

Roadsguy

Is there an NCDOT site where I can find diagrams of the Sanford Bypass (guess) and I-295 (Fayetteville)?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

bob7374

Quote from: Roadsguy on June 30, 2012, 06:33:48 PM
Is there an NCDOT site where I can find diagrams of the Sanford Bypass (guess) and I-295 (Fayetteville)?
The NCDOT has project breakdown maps for Sanford, I-295, and many other projects here:
http://www.ncdot.gov/planning/development/tip/prbmaps/maps/

cpzilliacus

cpzilliacus

bob7374

NCDOT has posted on its Route Changes webpage a letter to the FHWA Regional Office in Raleigh from this past spring requesting that the current portion of the Greensboro Urban Loop from I-40/85 to US 70 east of Greensboro be signed as I-785. A curious request since they got approval to sign it as I-840 last year and have not signed it nor are there currently any plans to upgrade the remainder of the proposed I-795 route north of the Loop along US 29 (the construction of the portion of the Loop to US 29 is scheduled to start next year). They also want additional Interstate maintenance funds with the request. Do they get more money if the route has two interstates on it rather than just one?

jcarte29

Does Bob or anyone here have an update on I-285 from Lexington to Winston-Salem? And I-485 in Charlotte from I-77 to I-85? (Last leg)
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

bob7374

Quote from: jcarte29 on October 16, 2012, 06:44:44 AM
Does Bob or anyone here have an update on I-285 from Lexington to Winston-Salem? And I-485 in Charlotte from I-77 to I-85? (Last leg)
I can comment on I-285. NCDOT is supposed to let a contract out in November 2013 that will upgrade US 52/NC 8. It will upgrade the highway for several miles in Davidson County to bring it up to interstate standards and then calls for the contractor to repave (and I presume, add signage) from I-85 to I-40. Hopefully, this can be completed by the end of 2014. Don't know when the plan, if funded, to upgrade US 52 through Winston-Salem (beyond what they are doing now) is going to take place.

Henry

Quote from: bob7374 on October 15, 2012, 10:08:21 PM
NCDOT has posted on its Route Changes webpage a letter to the FHWA Regional Office in Raleigh from this past spring requesting that the current portion of the Greensboro Urban Loop from I-40/85 to US 70 east of Greensboro be signed as I-785. A curious request since they got approval to sign it as I-840 last year and have not signed it nor are there currently any plans to upgrade the remainder of the proposed I-785 route north of the Loop along US 29 (the construction of the portion of the Loop to US 29 is scheduled to start next year). They also want additional Interstate maintenance funds with the request. Do they get more money if the route has two interstates on it rather than just one?
Corrected that mistake for you. I-795 is the former US 117 freeway further east. I'll have to check on the guidelines for Interstate maintenance funds, but my guess is they won't get any additional funds for a route that has two Interstates signed on it, only the new single-numbered routes.

Quote from: bob7374 on October 16, 2012, 11:25:30 AM
Quote from: jcarte29 on October 16, 2012, 06:44:44 AM
I can comment on I-285. NCDOT is supposed to let a contract out in November 2013 that will upgrade US 52/NC 8. It will upgrade the highway for several miles in Davidson County to bring it up to interstate standards and then calls for the contractor to repave (and I presume, add signage) from I-85 to I-40. Hopefully, this can be completed by the end of 2014. Don't know when the plan, if funded, to upgrade US 52 through Winston-Salem (beyond what they are doing now) is going to take place.
My guess is, they'll wait until part of the Winston-Salem Northern Beltway is finished. And as for I-485, IIRC, the timetable is to have the entire loop open by 2015, if not earlier than that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

OracleUsr

Looks like that set of shops a few blocks near the RCC
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

broadhurst04

Quote from: Steve on October 23, 2012, 08:10:55 PM
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alpsroads/8117558289/

This is somewhere in Raleigh. Who recognizes it?

Looks like North Hills to me, at Six Forks Rd and the I-440 Beltline.

amroad17

Quote from: broadhurst04 on October 23, 2012, 10:06:29 PM

Yes, it is.  I was there at the end of August for my brother's wedding and stayed there.  I did see this particular sign.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Alps

Quote from: amroad17 on October 24, 2012, 01:32:58 PM
Quote from: broadhurst04 on October 23, 2012, 10:06:29 PM

Yes, it is.  I was there at the end of August for my brother's wedding and stayed there.  I did see this particular sign.
And what do you think of 21st-century yellow yields? :)

amroad17

Like being back in the 1960's or early 1970's. :spin:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

cpzilliacus

brownpelican

Talk about jacking the prices up.

Alex

DOT plans meeting on I-26 widening proposal

QuoteTen years after a lawsuit derailed a project to widen a stretch of Interstate 26 in Henderson County, the N.C. Department of Transportation is again proposing to widen the busy road.

This time the proposal involves a 22-mile stretch from south of Hendersonville to Asheville.

State transportation department officials will hold an informational meeting Jan. 31 to talk about a long-range plan to widen the road from U.S. 25 in the East Flat Rock area of Henderson County to Interstate 40 in Buncombe County.

QuoteWork on the first sections is tentatively set to begin in the 2019-20 fiscal year, according to DOT's long-range plans. However, officials say that could change.

QuoteThe current cost estimates total around $263 million for the 22 miles. The work would be done in phases with the final phase starting in 2030.

The idea of widening I-26 has been around for a while. But it has proven controversial.

In 2002, DOT was on the verge of signing a contract to start work on a 13.6-mile stretch of the road between East Flat Rock and the Buncombe County line when a lawsuit was filed by several environmental and citizen groups.

jcarte29

Damn tree-huggers tried doing the same thing to hold back the Winston-Salem Northern Belt (Future I-74), finally were defeated and the project is now on the books, with a portion of it funded and set for construction.
Interstates I've driven on (Complete and/or partial, no particular order)
------------------
40, 85, 95, 77, 277(NC), 485(NC), 440(NC), 540(NC), 795(NC), 140(NC), 73, 74, 840(NC), 26, 20, 75, 285(GA), 81, 64, 71, 275(OH), 465(IN), 65, 264(VA), 240(NC), 295(VA), 526(SC), 985(GA), 395(FL), 195(FL)

froggie

IIRC, it was moreso the local residents than the "tree-huggers" who got I-26 delayed in Asheville.  There's some quite stringent LOCAL opposition to the project.

froggie

BTW, posted the following on Facebook last weekend but just realized I never posted it here:

- About 4 miles of US 17 south of the Washington bypass has been 4-laned, with "Superstreet" elements included in the construction.

- The next phase of widening north of Washington is underway, about 4 more miles from a little north of the Washington bypass to just north of NC 171. Traffic is now 2-way on the new lanes while the old lanes are torn up for rehab. Bulb-outs along the construction zone suggest that this will be a "Superstreet" as well. (I posted 2 photos of this on the Southeast Roads group on Facebook.)

- Noticed that both the Windsor bypass (from US 13 North east to old 17) and the freeway segment around Edenton (including the Chowan River bridge) are posted 70 MPH. By comparison, the Washington bypass was "only" 65 MPH.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.