News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

broadhurst04

Quote from: ReeseFerlautoI74/85 on March 03, 2016, 06:23:04 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 03, 2016, 04:37:26 PM
NCDOT has awarded a $108M contract for the last widening project on I-85 between Charlotte and Greensboro.
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=12276
But what about Hillsborough?

SM-G360T1

They have to get to that segment eventually. When this contract is completed, that will be the only section between Durham and Charlotte that hasn't been renovated since it was originally built.

bob7374

Quote from: broadhurst04 on March 04, 2016, 12:41:54 AM
Quote from: ReeseFerlautoI74/85 on March 03, 2016, 06:23:04 PM
Quote from: wdcrft63 on March 03, 2016, 04:37:26 PM
NCDOT has awarded a $108M contract for the last widening project on I-85 between Charlotte and Greensboro.
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=12276
But what about Hillsborough?

SM-G360T1

They have to get to that segment eventually. When this contract is completed, that will be the only section between Durham and Charlotte that hasn't been renovated since it was originally built.
There's no funded project in the current 2016-2025 STIP to widen I-85 in Hillsborough. There is, however, a contract to widen I-40 to 6 lanes from I-85 to the Durham Freeway (Future I-885) starting in 2023.

roadman65

Question about I-95 north and south of Kenly, NC.  As you all are aware the frequency of interchanges along I-95 south of Kenly is far more than it is north of there.  Where interchanges are almost every mile between BL I-95 for Fayetteville and the US 301 interchange in Kenly, from north of US 301 to the VA state line they are on average (not accurate) probably five miles apart with the section between Kenly and Gold Rock about eight miles apart.

Apparently this has to do with the fact that I-95 was completed between Kenly and Gold Rock in the early 80's where the other section south of there was built almost twenty years earlier.  Of course traffic back in the 1960's were built to different standards then they were in the 1970's and 1980's as the overall counts were lower.  Plus US 301 runs closely to I-95 which was more likely done that way so that all locals who live along US 301 would have immediate access to the interstate instead of like along the toll roads and turnpikes where you have to travel miles to get to the nearest intersection to connect to an interchange of the toll facility.  That is why you have access to unnumbered roads such as Truck Stop Road and Flowers Road unlike the rest of I-95 that has only interchanges with either NC or US routes. 

Am I correct on the hypothesis?  Is it mainly because of both the times and the fact that US 301 is within a mile of I-95 south of Kenly to Eastover and to the north of it US 301 is several miles from the interstate? Or is it more of one over the other?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

CanesFan27

Quote from: roadman65 on March 04, 2016, 01:44:59 PM
Question about I-95 north and south of Kenly, NC.  As you all are aware the frequency of interchanges along I-95 south of Kenly is far more than it is north of there.  Where interchanges are almost every mile between BL I-95 for Fayetteville and the US 301 interchange in Kenly, from north of US 301 to the VA state line they are on average (not accurate) probably five miles apart with the section between Kenly and Gold Rock about eight miles apart.

Apparently this has to do with the fact that I-95 was completed between Kenly and Gold Rock in the early 80's where the other section south of there was built almost twenty years earlier.  Of course traffic back in the 1960's were built to different standards then they were in the 1970's and 1980's as the overall counts were lower.  Plus US 301 runs closely to I-95 which was more likely done that way so that all locals who live along US 301 would have immediate access to the interstate instead of like along the toll roads and turnpikes where you have to travel miles to get to the nearest intersection to connect to an interchange of the toll facility.  That is why you have access to unnumbered roads such as Truck Stop Road and Flowers Road unlike the rest of I-95 that has only interchanges with either NC or US routes. 

Am I correct on the hypothesis?  Is it mainly because of both the times and the fact that US 301 is within a mile of I-95 south of Kenly to Eastover and to the north of it US 301 is several miles from the interstate? Or is it more of one over the other?

You've placed a lot of thought into this JP - I hope you haven't lost much sleep - and the answers can be found in earlier threads.  Kenly to Gold Rock was opened in 1978 and Kenly to Eastover was completed by I believe 1960.  The first sections was basically a US 301 bypass of Benson and Dunn.

as for why exits were built who knows -

roadman65

Not really I built all this over time. For years my parents went down to Florida when I grew up in New Jersey, so I got to see it all.  Well mostly.  I remember when the Kenly to Gold Rock Segment was not completed and you had to use US 301, however I did not realize it was in 78 when that opened.  Although we did vacation in Florida in 1978 at Jekyl Island, GA one year after 8th Grade Graduation, and now that its mentioned it might of been that year it opened.

I do know for sure that the Fayetteville Bypass was completed either in 1981 or 1982.  The Georgia segment by Brunswick was around the same time as that was the last segment of I-95 in the Peach State to finally open to traffic.  So it was not until my HS Graduation trip when it was all completed from Delaware to Florida that I first saw it.  I did not go to Florida in 1982 for sure as we just went to Williamsburg then as my dad was not ahead financially that year, so we went closer to home.

So yes, I guess my frequent trips to Florida were in the early 80's and all the 70's.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

Quote from: roadman65Where interchanges are almost every mile between BL I-95 for Fayetteville and the US 301 interchange in Kenly, from north of US 301 to the VA state line they are on average (not accurate) probably five miles apart with the section between Kenly and Gold Rock about eight miles apart.

Fayetteville to Kenly:  ~51 miles, 22 interchanges.  ~2.3mi average.
Kenly to Gold Rock:  ~38 miles, 8 interchanges.  ~4.8mi average.
Kenly to VA Line:  ~75 miles, 16 interchanges.  ~4.7mi average.

The Ghostbuster

Why was BL 95 designated anyway? Couldn't the road have just remained designated US 301?

WashuOtaku

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 05, 2016, 01:35:52 PM
Why was BL 95 designated anyway? Couldn't the road have just remained designated US 301?

At the time (1978), they were established to link a gap in Interstate 95, the same with Interstate 85 between Lexington and High Point.  When the interstate was finally completed (1983), it was left in place, mainly for the businesses along it.

Do they provide real purpose today... I don't believe so.  Each location where a business route exists is concurrency with a U.S. Route (in North Carolina).   

Third Strike

Since the proposal to toll I-95 fell through, as there been any updates on widening parts of I-95 in North Carolina? I'm surprised that the FAMPO hasn't at least submitted the section of I-95 in Cumberland County to be widened, or looked into the use of HOT lanes.

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

I wish toll roads were freeways

From Concord Telephone, Yadkin Valley

If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Third Strike on March 11, 2016, 02:02:32 PM
Since the proposal to toll I-95 fell through, as there been any updates on widening parts of I-95 in North Carolina? I'm surprised that the FAMPO hasn't at least submitted the section of I-95 in Cumberland County to be widened, or looked into the use of HOT lanes.

The 2016-2026 STIP only lists pavement rehabilitation and some bridge replacements along I-95.  So no widening plans on the horizon.

HOT lanes wouldn't work on I-95, not enough commuter traffic to justify it.  A couple years ago though NCDOT did have a similar idea in mind for I-95 by building inner travel lanes that would be tolled and go 75mph.  That was quickly shot down by the state legislators when they both rejected 75mph speed limits and that toll plan as being too expensive to implement on entire route.

Mileage Mike

The tolls were the best chance at getting 95 upgraded in NC.  It looks like it's going to just remain as is now. We probably won't see it upgraded in our lifetimes.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Cemajr on March 12, 2016, 02:51:07 PM
The tolls were the best chance at getting 95 upgraded in NC.  It looks like it's going to just remain as is now. We probably won't see it upgraded in our lifetimes.
I will in my lifetime  ;-)

The Ghostbuster

It looks like they are going to have to find another funding mechanism if they want to upgrade Interstate 95. Maybe they should just do the upgrades in several different phases.

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 14, 2016, 05:22:33 PM
It looks like they are going to have to find another funding mechanism since we spent some fu*king Gas Tax s*it if they want to upgrade Interstate 95. Maybe they should just do the upgrades in several different phases.

Tax the rich will save us money!!

From Concord Telephone, Yadkin Valley

If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

slorydn1

I found this FYI on the Super70 Corridor site:

QuoteMarch 30, 201610:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Unveiling Future Interstate Designation Sign-Enter Hwy. 70 Goldsboro Bypass at Parkstown Rd. Ramp

That's all I've been able to dig up on that, however.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

mvak36

So are they unveiling the number too, or just the sign? :biggrin:
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

WashuOtaku

Quote from: mvak36 on March 23, 2016, 10:52:00 PM

It has been my understanding there will be a blank shield on it, but who knows.

Henry

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 23, 2016, 11:16:36 PM

It has been my understanding there will be a blank shield on it, but who knows.
There you go!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

wdcrft63

The signs will simply say "Future Interstate Corridor." I don't think there will be a shield, blank or otherwise, but I'll be interested to see. No word on what number will be requested.

ARMOURERERIC

Is there a good site to see the history of interstate openings in NC?  With my soo to be move from California to Morganton, I have done the usual study of USGS topo maps and Historic Arials.  A few things that stand out to me as cool:  I-40 from NC 18 in Morganton to west of Hickory is shown as under construction on both thew 1958 and 1964 USGS maps, this section is very substandard but it is being upgraded now.  The stub west of Hickory and it's temporary connector road to US 70 is cool.  Having US 64 and 70 concurrent from Morganton to Hickory into the 1970's with the current arrangement having US 64 go north to Lenoir, going out of grid and crossing US 70 twice.

Mapmikey

Decent information on NC interstate openings can be found at the individual route links at the bottom of the NCRoads.com Annex site - http://www.vahighways.com/ncannex/route-log/index.html

US 64 was moved to its Lenoir-Taylorsville routing in the 1987-88 timeframe...

Mike

WashuOtaku

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 24, 2016, 07:32:54 PM
Is there a good site to see the history of interstate openings in NC?  With my soo to be move from California to Morganton, I have done the usual study of USGS topo maps and Historic Arials.  A few things that stand out to me as cool:  I-40 from NC 18 in Morganton to west of Hickory is shown as under construction on both thew 1958 and 1964 USGS maps, this section is very substandard but it is being upgraded now.  The stub west of Hickory and it's temporary connector road to US 70 is cool.  Having US 64 and 70 concurrent from Morganton to Hickory into the 1970's with the current arrangement having US 64 go north to Lenoir, going out of grid and crossing US 70 twice.

I try writing the history of highways in North Carolina on Wikipedia.  But honestly I get my sources from NCRoads.com Annex and then back them up with actual historic maps, and records pulled from both NCDOT and AASHTO (because Wikipedia rules say that NCRoads.com is not a valid source of ref).  For reference though, the first piece of interstate opened in North Carolina was I-40 in Winston-Salem in early 1958, known as the East-West Expressway (today Business I-40; source NCDOT Interstate Fact Sheet).  Looking on the I-40 NC page on Wikipedia, it needs more work.  X-(

The 1957 county maps I have show I-40 under construction, from near the McDowell County line to Catawba County line.  They appear completed on the state map in 1960; here are the state maps of interest:  1951 State Map, 1960 State Map, 1970 State Map, 1979-80 State Map and 1990-91 State Map.

Mapmikey

The stub west of Hickory and it's temporary connector road to US 70 is cool. 

Some of the stubs NC built to connect to interstate endings were assigned route numbers although I don't know if they were actually posted (all 3 of these are 1968 county maps):

Mike

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Mapmikey on March 24, 2016, 08:44:08 PM
The stub west of Hickory and it's temporary connector road to US 70 is cool. 

Some of the stubs NC built to connect to interstate endings were assigned route numbers although I don't know if they were actually posted (all 3 of these are 1968 county maps):

Mike

I drive this stretch of I-40 all the time, I like how over-built the Hildebran interchange is.  Only interchange besides I-40/US 321 that has lights and the design of the before and after is striking; west is the tight 1950-1960s design and east is late 1970-1980s wide design.  Even the geography (see link) you can tell how it was setup.

The Efland interchange use to have US 70 along it, but later changed, today it just have signs "TO" US 70 and "TO" I-85.  The Candler interchange, you cannot tell it existed like that at all anymore; I was actually surprised when I first saw the stubs like that, but made sense consider how the freeway there was laid out.  Another amusing one is former exit 153 (closed since 2012), east of Statesville.  Check this streetview from October, 2015, the signage is still there but the ramp is gone.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.