News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Longst 6+ lane surface road?

Started by froggie, May 01, 2019, 11:49:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froggie

Something I've been pondering lately, in part because of watching Pasco County, FL too many times on LivePD.  A quick search does not find any older threads on this.

Wondering what the longest stretch of surface (i.e. non-freeway) roadway is that is at least 6 through lanes.  One candidate would be US 19 from just north of FL 580 (where the freeway section outside Clearwater and St. Pete ends) to FL 50, just over 37 miles.

Any segments that are longer?

webny99

NY 104 in Greece, NY has a six lane segment of just over six miles. Of course, that doesn't even come close to touching 37 miles. That'll be tough to beat.

Right out of the gate my top places to look would be Philadelphia, Washington DC, Toronto, and Chicago. I thought US-29 (Columbia Pike) between Silver Spring and Ellicott City, MD, would be a good candidate, but there are some four lane sections, in addition to segments that function as a full freeway.

TheHighwayMan3561

There are very few of these at all in MSP, the longest probably being the section of France Avenue in Edina and Bloomington between 62 and just south of 494. Certainly not 37 miles. :D
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

BrianP

Quote from: webny99 on May 01, 2019, 02:15:10 PMI thought US-29 (Columbia Pike) between Silver Spring and Ellicott City, MD, would be a good candidate, but there are some four lane sections, in addition to segments that function as a full freeway.
I did look at that but the longest I came up with for MD is MD 355 from DC to Gaithersburg.  But that's still a bit less than 20 miles.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 01, 2019, 02:49:30 PM
There are very few of these at all in MSP, the longest probably being the section of France Avenue in Edina and Bloomington between 62 and just south of 494. Certainly not 37 miles. :D

Dakota County 23 (Cedar Ave) is just over three miles, although it feels a lot longer than that. No idea if that beats France Ave or not.

Gulol

Top of mind Colorado candidates would be SH 83 (Parker Rd) at 13 miles between Chambers Rd and Bayou Gulch Rd and SH 21 (Powers Blvd) through the east side of Colorado Springs at 15 miles.  That 37 mile stretch may be tough to beat!

ilpt4u

I immediately thought of North Ave/IL 64 in the Western Suburbs of Chicago...but a quick check with Google Maps puts the 6 lane section at about 16 miles

IL 13 in Williamson County IL into Marion is about 10 miles of 6 lane. If IDOT ever filled in the 6 lane gap between Cambria Rd and Carbondale/near Crab Orchard Lake, it would increase to 18 miles

Still not all that close to 37 miles, tho

tallfull

8 Mile Rd., on the northern border of Detroit, is a divided surface road that is 3 or more lanes each way from Grand River Ave. to the west to I-94 to the east, a distance of 20.7 miles.

X99

Quote from: tallfull on May 01, 2019, 05:30:10 PM
8 Mile Rd., on the northern border of Detroit, is a divided surface road that is 3 or more lanes each way from Grand River Ave. to the west to I-94 to the east, a distance of 20.7 miles.
We're getting there
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

vdeane

I thought US 1 south of where I-95 ends was noteworthy, but that probably doesn't even come close to the 37 miles!

EDIT: Looks like it's around 15 miles or so.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Mapmikey

I believe the longest such segment in Virginia is US 360 west out of Richmond, at around 14 miles give or take...

pianocello

Lot of 6+ lane surface streets in Florida, but I can't seem to find any that top 37 miles. Looking in central Florida, the best contender I could think of off the top of my head is John Young Pkwy, which as of now is 17.7 miles from US 192 to SR 50. I think a widening project is underway to make it 6 lanes up to Edgewater Dr, bringing it up to 21.8 miles.

Lot of 6+ lane roads in metro Detroit as well. It looks like Telegraph has you beat, since it's 6+ lanes from Elizabeth Lake Rd in Pontiac to the I-75 connector in Taylor, a distance of 31.9 miles.
Davenport, IA -> Valparaiso, IN -> Ames, IA -> Orlando, FL -> Gainesville, FL -> Evansville, IN

webny99

Quote from: pianocello on May 01, 2019, 09:08:46 PM
Lot of 6+ lane roads in metro Detroit as well. It looks like Telegraph has you beat, since it's 6+ lanes from Elizabeth Lake Rd in Pontiac to the I-75 connector in Taylor, a distance of 31.9 miles.

I genuinely didn't believe it until I mapped the two endpoints. It really is incredible how sprawling and just massive, area-wise, the Detroit metro area is. There is no other city in the US in which you could drive 32 straight miles like that on a surface street and still be in the same urbanized area. That's just slightly less mileage than downtown Baltimore to downtown DC.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: froggie on May 01, 2019, 11:49:02 AM
Something I've been pondering lately, in part because of watching Pasco County, FL too many times on LivePD.  A quick search does not find any older threads on this.

Wondering what the longest stretch of surface (i.e. non-freeway) roadway is that is at least 6 through lanes.  One candidate would be US 19 from just north of FL 580 (where the freeway section outside Clearwater and St. Pete ends) to FL 50, just over 37 miles.

I noticed a few civil rights violations with the Pasco County Sheriff's Office whilst viewing that program.

Rothman

Quote from: webny99 on May 01, 2019, 09:37:45 PM
Quote from: pianocello on May 01, 2019, 09:08:46 PM

I genuinely didn't believe it until I mapped the two endpoints. It really is incredible how sprawling and just massive, area-wise, the Detroit metro area is. There is no other city in the US in which you could drive 32 straight miles like that on a surface street and still be in the same urbanized area. That's just slightly less mileage than downtown Baltimore to downtown DC.
Or be in an urban area that is that empty.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Beltway

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 01, 2019, 08:58:37 PM
I believe the longest such segment in Virginia is US 360 west out of Richmond, at around 14 miles give or take...

Except for about 3,000 feet east of Warbro Road eastbound. 

Still 2 lanes, but the county has a project to rebuild it to 3 lanes.

https://www.chesterfield.gov/653/Route-360-Eastbound-Widening

Route 360 Eastbound (Lonas Parkway to Castle Rock Road) Widening

An additional eastbound lane will be added to Route 360 between Lonas Parkway to Castle Rock Road.

Preliminary engineering is underway and 60% plans have been developed.

Construction anticipated for Summer 2020.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Roadwarriors79

Bell Road in the Phoenix area is about 30 miles of 6+ lanes. It runs into Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd in Scottsdale, which is 6+ lanes for another couple miles.

froggie

Quote from: webny99 on May 01, 2019, 03:00:11 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 01, 2019, 02:49:30 PM

Dakota County 23 (Cedar Ave) is just over three miles, although it feels a lot longer than that. No idea if that beats France Ave or not.

Cedar stretch is slightly longer than the France stretch.  But neither tops Bottineau Blvd/CSAH 81 which is now 6 lanes from 100 to 94/694 and slated to continue up to 169.  But even that is just barely 3 miles.  Everything in the Twin Cities combined doesn't even come close to matching some of the individual roads mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Revive 755

Longest I've identified in Chicagoland so far is IL 64 from about 1/2 mile east of Kirk Road to just east of IL 83 at just under 16 miles.

Techknow

For California, I immediately thought of 19th Avenue in San Francisco (CA 1) and El Camino Real (CA 82). The 6 lane part of 19th Avenue + Crossover Drive is only 4 miles though.

CA 82 is a surface street arterial from San Francisco to San Jose, but surprisingly to me not all of it is 6 lanes. In Daly City just south of SF, it is only four lanes, but once it gets to Colma (Serramonte Blvd, maybe sooner), it is 6 lanes all the way to its terminus at I-880. If so that makes it a 6-lane surface road for at 40 miles or maybe more!

Maybe someone else can chime in about how much of CA 82 is six lanes or if there's any other notable candidates outside the Bay Area

ilpt4u

Quote from: Revive 755 on May 01, 2019, 10:54:40 PM
Longest I've identified in Chicagoland so far is IL 64 from about 1/2 mile east of Kirk Road to just east of IL 83 at just under 16 miles.

Hmm...sounds familiar

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 01, 2019, 03:32:09 PM
I immediately thought of North Ave/IL 64 in the Western Suburbs of Chicago...but a quick check with Google Maps puts the 6 lane section at about 16 miles

Another in Phoenix...Grand Ave almost pulls off 24 miles...except for a very quick lane drop and add for Exit and Entrance ramps @ 27th Ave/Thomas Rd

RobbieL2415

Northern Blvd., Queens Blvd., Hillside Ave., Atlantic Ave., (Kings, Queens County); 2nd Ave, 3rd Ave, Park Ave., 6th Ave, 10th Ave., 12th Ave., (New York County); Grand Concourse
(Bronx County), New York City.  They all have significant stretches of six lanes or more in any direction.

index

US 74/Roosevelt Boulevard here in Union County has a three lane segment roughly four miles long, similar to other three-laned lengths in this thread (such as 6 miles). Not that long but sure feels like it with the traffic volume on it.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

formulanone

Quote from: froggie on May 01, 2019, 11:49:02 AM

Edit: it's no longer 53.5 - there's a section with just four lanes from FL 806 to FL 804, resuming to 6 lanes again to FL 704.

Florida State Road 7 (mostly US 441) 6-lane section, at 37 miles; from the intersection with SR 806 in Delray Beach continuously south to NW 177th Street in North Miami. There's almost no curves and nothing to dodge along the route. The lanes drop to four over I-95 at the Golden Glades Interchange complex.

That also brings up one of the longest continuous 8-lane sections I know of; SR 704 from South Dixie Highway (US 1) to a point a half-mile west of SR 7 is 9½ miles in length.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on May 01, 2019, 09:41:42 PM
Quote from: webny99 on May 01, 2019, 09:37:45 PM
It really is incredible how sprawling and just massive, area-wise, the Detroit metro area is. There is no other city in the US in which you could drive 32 straight miles like that on a surface street and still be in the same urbanized area.
Or be in an urban area that is that empty.

Well, yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.