News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-30, Texas 360 interchange opens Thursday after seven years of construction

Started by ZLoth, December 21, 2023, 04:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From NBC DFW:

I-30, Texas 360 interchange opens Thursday after seven years of construction
QuoteThe new interchange linking Texas 360 and Interstate 30 in Arlington will open to traffic in all directions Thursday, wrapping up construction that began in 2016.

Several of the ramps linking 360 and 30 have been opened as the project was completed, but on Thursday the project's final segment, a new ramp linking northbound Texas 360 with east and westbound Interstate 30, will open to drivers.
FULL ARTICLE HERE

Project Website
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

longhorn

MaxConcrete

Quote from: longhorn on December 21, 2023, 09:38:09 AM
Anyone else hearing Etta James?

Construction on the project seemed to drag on interminably. I don't know how much time was granted to the contractor originally, and I'm thinking there was a multi-year extension due to Covid. I have photos from 2016 when piers were already built.

Looking at the video in the news report, there is still ongoing work on the frontage roads, especially Six Flags drive east of the interchange. So 100% completion is still many months in the future.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

It's flat out ridiculous how much time they took to build that interchange. There is nothing visually special about it; the interchange is the usual conventional looking thing with lots of concrete girders and or curved I-beams. They didn't build it like those more elegant stack interchanges in Phoenix where the flyover bridges have longer cast-segmental spans and fewer uprights.

Stephane Dumas

DJStephens

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 21, 2023, 12:30:21 PMIt's flat out ridiculous how much time they took to build that interchange. There is nothing visually special about it; the interchange is the usual conventional looking thing with lots of concrete girders and or curved I-beams. They didn't build it like those more elegant stack interchanges in Phoenix where the flyover bridges have longer cast-segmental spans and fewer uprights.
Yep, it is unfortunate, that with all the money that they seem to have, and the billions that have been squandered already, that they don't use segmental or "box beam" construction to a larger extent.   They have more seismic resistance.   

bwana39

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 21, 2023, 12:30:21 PMIt's flat out ridiculous how much time they took to build that interchange. There is nothing visually special about it; the interchange is the usual conventional looking thing with lots of concrete girders and or curved I-beams. They didn't build it like those more elegant stack interchanges in Phoenix where the flyover bridges have longer cast-segmental spans and fewer uprights.

There was no financial incentive to finish in any kind of hurry. Due to the covid delays, they actually got more money as it basically morphed into costs + with no incentive to finish or save money.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

The Ghostbuster

Is TX 360 still planned to be extended southward to US 67 in Venus? I wouldn't be surprised if 360 eventually connects with Interstate 35W.

Bobby5280

They have plans on the drawing board to extend the TX-360 toll road (or freeway?) South of the intersection with US-287 down to at least US-67 and maybe even I-35W. Best of luck with that!

A 7-Eleven was built on the South side of the US-287/TX-360 volleyball a few years ago. That's the smallest problem. The bigger issue is new residential subdivisions popping up to the South. If too many more get built it will create a blockade. TX-360 could get locked into ending at US-287.

TX DOT and the various toll road agencies in Texas used to be a lot better at buying and preserving right of way well before a new freeway or toll road was built. Sometimes they did it decades in advance. They've done nothing to preserve ROW for TX-360 expansion South of US-287. They're 20 years behind on Loop 9 efforts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.