Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: Bruce on October 17, 2021, 02:36:12 AM
Last turn off before the highway ends...in 8 miles.

plus, you can get gas, food, and taholah there. i hate it when i run out of taholah.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

ErmineNotyours

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2021, 06:30:11 PM
Ok, not really a sign, but close enough.

There are also mile markers along Watkins Glen denoting the route of the 1940's road course:

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 17, 2021, 06:30:11 PM
Ok, not really a sign, but close enough.

https://twitter.com/maybeifollowyou/status/1449854559220809730?s=21

Never in my wildest dreams would I think my two obsessions (sports uniforms and highways) would collide, and their respective sites.  I am an avid uniwatch reader. 

JayhawkCO

Does anywhere else use these "there is a highway crossing which briefly multiplexes" arrows that are all over the place in PEI?

Chris

plain

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 19, 2021, 01:16:52 PM
Does anywhere else use these "there is a highway crossing which briefly multiplexes" arrows that are all over the place in PEI?

Chris

Wow, nice!!!

The only thing I can think of being remotely close to that are these signs VDOT sometimes use when a secondary route multiplexes with a primary one. This is on US 258 in Isle Of Wight County.

Image from GSV

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

JayhawkCO

I've seen plenty like that, but had never seen the PEI version.  They're all over the place as a whole lot of the provincial highways overlap very briefly when intersecting.

Chris

plain

I'm really liking those PEI signs. I'm not sure if you can even find those in the US. I've seen a lot of signs like the one I posted in the states as well (I should've said the closet to me when I posted it)

TBKS1

Chris

LITERALLY earlier today I was looking around Tallahassee on Google Street View and found pretty much the same arrows. I was gonna post it in here and saw that someone else already did lol

(Google Street View)
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

plain

Quote from: TBKS1 on October 19, 2021, 04:21:40 PM

Chris

LITERALLY earlier today I was looking around Tallahassee on Google Street View and found pretty much the same arrows. I was gonna post it in here and saw that someone else already did lol

(Google Street View)

I stand corrected! Are there any more there?

jakeroot

Rather unique "yield on green" sign that I spotted in Vancouver. Right outside Waterfront Station, westbound on Cordova at Granville. I walked off the Canada Line, and it was staring me in the face. Never noticed it before, despite having been installed in 2004.

"Yield on Green" signs aren't that unusual in BC (mainly used at unique intersections), but the addition of a symbolic 4-section left turn signal seems so over the top that it's, honestly, brilliant. I assume it was inspired by the symbolic 'no turn on red' signs used elsewhere, which also use a signal symbol (although the standard design for that sign is a 3-section signal).

Unique "Yield on Green" Sign by Jacob Root, on Flickr

Bruce

TBKS1

Quote from: plain on October 19, 2021, 05:10:36 PM
Quote from: TBKS1 on October 19, 2021, 04:21:40 PM

Chris

(Google Street View)

I stand corrected! Are there any more there?

No idea, I just saw the one there, although I didn't look that much.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

ClassicHasClass

I love those little baby USFS shields. I do have an NF 30 in my collection, but it's Scotchlite on wood, not sheet metal.

Bruce

LilianaUwU

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

Scott5114

What do you want to bet the enabling legislation required a sign with that exact text?

Memorial highway legislation in Oklahoma never just leaves it at naming a route. It mandates that ODOT posts a sign too.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

snowc

Another good example of a weird sign.

and also a nonstandard sign for an all way stop ahead. :ded:

LilianaUwU

Quote from: snowc on October 22, 2021, 03:55:17 PM

Ironically, having the STOP (well, ARRÊT) text inside the stop ahead sign is the standard in Québec.
—Mr. Thwomp

Rothman

Quote from: snowc on October 22, 2021, 03:55:17 PM

Another good example of a weird sign.

What's weird about the Onondaga Nation sign?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.