News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longest Time You Stayed on One Highway on a Given Trip

Started by ethanhopkin14, August 10, 2021, 02:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dlsterner

Allowing for getting off for gas/food/lodging ...  But otherwise on one continuous trip:

The entire length of I-85 (Montgomery AL to Petersburg VA) in one trip.  677 miles

Honorable mentions:

I-95 (Ruther Glen VA to Jacksonville FL), 617 miles.
I-81 (Winchester VA to its end at I-40), 391 miles.

kphoger

Quote from: wanderer2575 on August 10, 2021, 05:27:28 PM
US-24 end-to-end (about 1,540 miles) in one southbound/westbound trip.  I think I stretched it over five days.

Wow, that's impressive!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

By the way, getting off for gas, lodging, food or even staying on one place (plus excursions) don't count against this. My example of I-95 from Kittery, ME to Florence, SC involved my brother and I driving from Kittery to New York, then us spending a week in New York, then driving south to Florence

thspfc

780 miles of I-80 between Iowa City and Laramie.

Max Rockatansky

Looking back through my trip logs from 2014 it appears I took US 101 from King City, CA all the way north to Megler, WA in one shot. 

machias

Allowing for gas/lodging/food
I-94 from Chicago to its western end near Billings, MT (clinching it, having done the other direction to Detroit)
I-90 from Gillette, WY to Utica, NY
I-80 from Reno, NV to Chicago

Konza

Last month.  I-10 from Benson, Arizona to Lake City, Florida.

I get that to be 1637 miles.

I've also driven I-70 from Columbus, Ohio to Manhattan, Kansas in one day.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

keithvh

I once deliberately took US-36 the entire way from Urbana, OH to Estes Park, CO.

That route, FWIW, actually is pretty close to the most efficient route between those 2 cities.

SkyPesos

Quote from: keithvh on August 10, 2021, 09:50:58 PM
I once deliberately took US-36 the entire way from Urbana, OH to Estes Park, CO.

That route, FWIW, actually is pretty close to the most efficient route between those 2 cities.
Just slightly worse than US 68/I-70/US 36?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 10, 2021, 02:52:53 PM
I-64 westbound from where it joins I-81 in Virginia to its western end near St. Louis in 2017; Google Maps says that was 756 miles. We did exit the highway several times for tourism, overnight stops, and once to fill the gas tank, but I got back on the highway either at the same interchange or via backtracking through an earlier (leaving Louisville after visiting Churchill Downs–we had gone through the streets to get there but used I-65 to leave).

Quote from: sprjus4 on August 10, 2021, 03:37:34 PM
I-64 from I-464 in Chesapeake, VA to I-70 in Wentzville, MO.

Wow, that's just over 960 miles.  Not quite as long, but one of my work trips to Western Illinois was on I-64 from I-195 Richmond to the I-57/I-64 split just north of Mt. Vernon, Illinois (just over 840 miles).  As a technicality, I did stop at my parents home about 2 miles from what's now the Teays Valley exit (Exit 39).  Today, I wouldn't use the asterisk because the house I grew up in is right off the US-35 Scott Depot exit (Exit 40).  Every other time I did this trip, I took different routes.

Rothman

Hm.

I-80, I-81 to Redwood Road, SLC.  2,049 miles.

Definitely the longest stretch on any one highway in one trip for me.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ketchup99

My longest is probably I-95 from Benson, NC to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, just this past summer - 751 miles. Clinched every mile of it except for three in Florida, where we got off to go to the Kennedy Space Center and got back on the next exit. In my mental "clinching I-95" game, the bottom 27 miles should be easy enough (if I'm ever renting a car in South Florida), but those three miles in central Florida will be a pain in the ass.

DJ Particle

Don't know offhand, but if I was to make a guess, I'd say I-75 from Lexington, KY to Naples, FL

Rothman

Quote from: DJ Particle on August 10, 2021, 11:41:52 PM
Don't know offhand, but if I was to make a guess, I'd say I-75 from Lexington, KY to Naples, FL
You didn't bypass Macon on I-475?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

zzcarp

My longest is I-80 between I-76 near Big Springs, Nebraska and Baumhart Road in Lorain County, Ohio which is 1107 miles.
So many miles and so many roads

DTComposer

I-15: I-90 near Butte, MT to CA-91 at Corona, CA: ~1075 miles (bonus for doing it in a single drive (two stops for gas/food))
I-5: I-710 near Los Angeles, CA to I-405 at Portland, OR: ~965 miles (two days) (done this trip three times)
I-80: I-880 at Oakland, CA to I-15 at Salt Lake City, UT: ~730 miles (two days) (done this trip twice)

Nothing else even comes close for me.

US 89

Appears I have five over 500 miles:

I-80, I-15 in Salt Lake City to I-29 in Council Bluffs: ~940 miles
I-40, I-840 west of Nashville to US 287 in Amarillo: ~900 miles
I-80, I-15 in Salt Lake City to Fremont St in San Francisco: ~735 miles
I-70, I-25 in Denver to US 71 in Kansas City: ~600 miles
I-84, I-82 in Hermiston to I-15 in Ogden: ~550 miles

cpzilliacus

1.  I-70 from Baltimore, Maryland to the western terminus at I-15 in Millard County, Utah, about 2,150 miles (with appropriate stops).

2. I-95 and Florida's Turnpike from Miami Beach, Florida to Silver Spring, Maryland, about 1,075 miles.

Fort Pierce, Florida to Silver Spring on I-95 only is about 950 miles.

3. Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway from Front Royal, Virginia to Cherokee, North Carolina, about 575 miles (probably the slowest 575 miles I have driven, as the design speed of much of Skyline Drive is only 25 MPH, and the design speed of much of the Blue Ridge Parkway is 35 MPH.

EDIT:

4. I-95 from Beltsville, Maryland to Portsmouth, New Hampshire - about 500 miles.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Bickendan

I-5, LA to Portland
CA 1, Legget to Pismo Beach
US 101, Florence to Arroyo Grande
US 14, Shell Canyon to Madison
I-94, Minneapolis to Billings
I-10, Slidell to Beaumont

Rothman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 11, 2021, 03:24:53 AM
1.  I-70 from Baltimore, Maryland to the western terminus at I-15 in Millard County, Utah, about 2,150 miles (with appropriate stops).

Where'd you go once you hit I-15?

It actually took me forever to clinch the entirety of I-70 due to missing little bits that got bypassed or missed here and there.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2021, 06:44:17 AM

Where'd you go once you hit I-15?

Turned around and drove back to Denver.

Quote from: Rothman on August 11, 2021, 06:44:17 AM
It actually took me forever to clinch the entirety of I-70 due to missing little bits that got bypassed or missed here and there.

I had never been on I-70 west of Wheeling, West Virginia before going on this trip.  There was construction along the way, especially in Indiana and Illinois, but no total closures.  A big PennDOT project to make improvements to I-70 in southwest Pennsylvania (between Washington and New Stanton) was just starting up then.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

sparker

I-80 from Roseville, CA to the I-280 split at Troy Hills, NJ.  Only got off for motels/food; always got back on at same exit.  Had driven the western remainder multiple times; clinched the eastern section to I-95 the previous year.  Despite having to look at the same reassurance shields for almost 5 days, one of the better trips (done April 1989) I've ever undertaken.

Rothman

Quote from: sparker on August 11, 2021, 09:06:27 AM
I-80 from Roseville, CA to the I-280 split at Troy Hills, NJ.  Only got off for motels/food; always got back on at same exit.  Had driven the western remainder multiple times; clinched the eastern section to I-95 the previous year.  Despite having to look at the same reassurance shields for almost 5 days, one of the better trips (done April 1989) I've ever undertaken.
I think we have a winner.

JayhawkCO

I think these are all of mine that are >600 miles.  I made that my arbitrary cut off because I've driven between Denver and Kansas City probably 30 times on I-70 and that's just a shade under 600 miles.

I-80 from San Francisco, CA to Cheyenne, WY - 1,174 miles
I-90 from Sioux Falls, SD to Butte, MT - 941 miles
I-70 from New Stanton, PA to Lawrence, KS - 894 miles
I-94 from Bighorn, MT to Minneapolis, MN - 784 miles
I-35 from Eagan, MN to Oklahoma City, OK - 778 miles
I-95 from Jacksonville, FL to Washington, DC - 706 miles
I-70 from Kansas City, KS to Frisco, CO - 673 miles
I-10 from Lafayette, LA to Jacksonville, FL - 658 miles
I-25 from Lone Tree, CO to Las Cruces, NM - 653 miles
I-80 from Cheyenne, WY to Des Moines, IA - 628 miles

Chris

hbelkins

1.  I-70 from just outside Baltimore, Maryland to the western terminus at I-15 in Millard County, Utah, about 2,150 miles (with appropriate stops).

HighwayStar asked me to fix that for you, as I-70 doesn't go to Baltimore.  :-D

As for me, I'm thinking it's I-70 from the western terminus of I-670 to Grand Junction. If not for I-670, then the eastern endpoint of that trip would have been East St. Louis.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.