News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Shortest state highways in multiple counties?

Started by KCRoadFan, September 22, 2021, 01:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

I was just curious: either by state or overall, what are the shortest state highways that go through more than one county within their respective states (i.e. they cross at least one county line)?

I know that here in the KC metro, MO 9 goes through Platte and Clay counties, with a small section at the south end in Jackson County. Overall, it only covers 14 miles - but it's a major route within the Northland.

NWI_Irish96

IN 645 is 1.97 miles long and crosses the Martin/Daviess County line.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Mapmikey

VA 345 is 0.49 miles long and crosses a county line

DJDBVT

VT 64 runs for 6.77 miles, crossing the Orange/Washington County line.

US 89

Utah SR 168 is 1.160 miles and just barely crosses the Weber/Davis County line before dead ending at a closed gate to Hill AFB.

JayhawkCO

Shortest one in Colorado is CO53 which is 1.66 miles long and is on the border of Denver and Adams Counties.

Shortest one in Colorado is CO75 which is 3.237 miles long and goes between Jefferson and Arapahoe Counties.

Chris

JayhawkCO

Shortest one I'm seeing in Wyoming (with much larger counties) is WY235 which is 4.49 miles long and in Lincoln and Sublette Counties.

Chris

formulanone

Georgia 228: three counties over 10 total miles (Schley, Sumter, Macon)

Georgia 153: four counties over 19 total miles (Webster, Marion, Schley, Sumter)

roadman65

NJ 173 as it's around 15 miles and serves two counties, Hunterdon and Warren.  In NJ that would be the second shortest.

NJ 181 between Morris and Sussex Counties is the shortest.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

webny99

Unless I missed one, the shortest state route in NY to pass through multiple counties is NY 32A, which is 1.9 miles in length and enters both Ulster and Greene counties.

NY 272 is also notable, as it's only 7.5 miles in length and straddles the Monroe/Orleans county line for its entire length.

Dirt Roads

Unsigned WV-6 (Earl M. Vickers Bridge) in downtown Montgomery in Fayette County and crosses into Kanawha County at the low water mark on the Montgomery side of the Kanawha River.  Total length is 0.6 miles.  I don't know the history, but it looks like the county line is gerrymandered to keep all of downtown Montgomery and the former West Virginia Tech campus within Fayette County.  Otherwise, the entirety of the Vickers Bridge would be in Kanawha County.

JayhawkCO

In a nomination for the "longest" shortest highway that's in multiple counties - AK8 is 135 miles long and travels through Denali, Matanuska-Susitna, and Copper River Boroughs/Census Areas. 

Chris

Takumi

VA 307 passes through three counties (Prince Edward, Nottoway, Amelia) in 9 miles.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

GaryV

Shortest I've found in MI is M-42, 10.3 miles, in Wexford and Missaukee.

Followed by M-117, 14.5 miles, Mackinac and Luce; M-179, 16.9 miles, Allegan and Barry.

Dirt Roads

The starting point of NC-128 (Mount Mitchell Scenic Drive) is near MM-355 of the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is located on the border between Yancey and Buncombe counties.  Since the Blue Ridge Parkway is not part of the state highway system, the official start point is beyond the Parkway right-of-way, so that all 4.6 miles of NC-128 are technically within Yancey County.

jp the roadgeek

CT 55 is 2.64 miles long (a continuation of the much longer NY 55) and serves Sherman in Fairfield County and New Milford in Litchfield County.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US20IL64

For Chicagoland:

IL-390, thus far, is only 9.8 miles long, serves only Cook and DuPage Cos.

Next shortest in IL-394, at 14.6 mi. Cook and Will Cos.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: GaryV on September 22, 2021, 11:31:52 AM
Shortest I've found in MI is M-42, 10.3 miles, in Wexford and Missaukee.

Followed by M-117, 14.5 miles, Mackinac and Luce; M-179, 16.9 miles, Allegan and Barry.

Looks like M-188 is only 4.559 miles long and runs right on the border of Eaton and Ingham Counties.

Chris

DTComposer

California:

CA-275 (historic US-40) is now just .14 miles long (the Tower Bridge) and crosses the Yolo-Sacramento County line. It's unsigned, though.

Shortest signed one I can come up with is CA-220, about 6 miles between Sacramento and Solano Counties (includes the J-Mack Ferry across the Steamboat Slough, which is where it crosses the county line).

SkyPesos

Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 22, 2021, 01:38:24 AM
I know that here in the KC metro, MO 9 goes through Platte and Clay counties, with a small section at the south end in Jackson County. Overall, it only covers 14 miles - but it's a major route within the Northland.
In the same state, MO 370 beats MO 9 by about a mile, at 13 miles long. Though there's likely to be one even shorter, I haven't checked.

JayhawkCO

Idaho: ID50 is 8.092 miles long and goes between Jerome and Twin Falls Counties
Montana: MT64 is 9.039 miles long and goes between Madison and Gallatin Counties
New Mexico: NM539 is 5.840 miles long and goes between Rio Arriba and San Juan Counties

Chris

JayhawkCO

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 22, 2021, 12:20:07 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on September 22, 2021, 01:38:24 AM
In the same state, MO 370 beats MO 9 by about a mile, at 13 miles long. Though there's likely to be one even shorter, I haven't checked.

Missouri: MO242 is 2.304 miles long and goes between Camden and Miller Counties.

Chris

SEWIGuy

In Wisconsin, WI-134, 2.85 miles long, straddles the Dane / Jefferson county line for most of its length.

JayhawkCO

I'm on a roll and it's a slow day at work.

North Dakota: ND44 is 3.449 miles long and goes between Walsh and Pembina counties.
South Dakota: SD224 is 7.962 miles long and goes between Jerauld and Sanborn counties.
Nebraska: NE85 is 5.01 miles long and goes between Sarpy and Douglas counties.
Nevada: NV342 is 3.780 miles long and goes between Lyon and Storey counties.
Maine: ME122 is 5.07 miles long and goes between Androscoggin and Cumberland counties.
Hawai'i: Has none

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

MN: MN 101 is 7 miles long and enters *three* counties (Hennepin, Wright, Sherburne)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.