News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

State Road over State Name

Started by roadman65, August 28, 2017, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

Utah uses SR-xx in its documents, but it's pretty obvious so as to not confuse US Routes (US-xx) with State Routes (SR-xx) vs. U-xx or UT-xx. I tend to follow this pattern when dealing solely with Utah roads, otherwise I use the state postal abbreviation. There are states that are exceptions to the postal abbreviation, such as Kansas (K-xx) or Wyoming (WYO-xx), but in general I stick with the postal abbreviation.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

1995hoo

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on September 08, 2017, 11:13:55 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on August 30, 2017, 07:47:06 AM
VA: VA

VA generally uses "Route" when referring to primary and secondary roads (using VA for primary and SR for secondary is unofficial), and "I-" when referring to interstates (most of the time, sometimes VDOT will use "Route" or "Route I-").

The time and distance signs posted above some highways, at least in Northern Virginia, typically use "VA-" (with the hyphen) for state primary routes, such as this afternoon when we saw a sign on I-66 east of Haymarket that said "VA-28 Centreville" and gave mileage and estimated travel time.

Did pass two LGSs on westbound US-50 on the segment between US-15 and Paris that had the distance to "Route 81" listed (obviously referring to I-81). They looked like fairly new signs, and I don't recall those two signs on previous trips, though I should acknowledge we're usually going in the other direction when we're on that road.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Once I know what the "proper" abbreviation for a state's roads are I guess I never saw a reason to not subsequently use it. Writing something like "KS 96" or "MI 28" just feels awkward to me since those are not really the proper terms for those highways.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.