Incomplete Routes Deserving Completion

Started by theroadwayone, September 26, 2017, 08:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadwayone

Which roads (interstate, state, federal, other) that were never completed deserve to be finished the most and why?

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

CT 11. Looking at a map, it is obviously incomplete, as it doesn't seem to have a purpose in its current form.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

21stCenturyRoad

I-710 serves as secondary way to Pasadena and I-210, and would provide a huge relief for the substandard Arroyo Seco Parkway. It can run as a tunnel and connect with the stub by I-210.
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

bing101

Southern Crossing from Candlestick Park to Alameda Island.

michravera

Quote from: bing101 on September 26, 2017, 10:16:39 PM

Agreed. and CASR-65.

theroadwayone

Funny you bring that up; this past weekend I went to visit family, got laid up in Oakland, and flew past where it would be on the way out. Got a few pictures of the would-be site with the Bay Bridge in the background.

Beeper1

Max Rockatansky

Not to sound cliche about California since there are a ton of incomplete routes I'll go with some Arizona stuff instead.  It would be nice if AZ 99 and AZ 288 actually made it to AZ 260 rather than just turning into Forest Routes. 

bing101

Quote from: michravera on September 26, 2017, 10:56:41 PM

Agreed. and CASR-65.

How about CA-244 Sacramento its a stub off CA-51 Sacramento and supposedly its supposed to be bigger than that current alignment.

http://www.ssf.net/our-city/biotech/biotech-in-ssf
Back to Southern Crossing at Candlestick Park im surprised that the Biotech CEO's from South City and board members has never come forward to say that they would benefit from this route at the Stick.

Bickendan

roadman65

Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

NJ 55.  To get to the shore in half the time.

Henry

I-70, to serve both the San Francisco Bay Area and the Delmarva Peninsula/Jersey Shore, take your pick.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Starfighterace

Corridor H aka US 48. Just might help taking some of the truck traffic off of I-81.  I-73 in VA from Roanoke to Martinsville. is another. Both would make my traveling much easier to events I vend at.

CNGL-Leudimin

Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

I-87 to Greenland
I-40 to Bermuda
I-GOAT to Alanland

On a more  serious note: I-291 between I-84 in Farmington and I-91 in Windsor.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

bing101

CA-84 there's 2 sections of CA-84 and Vasco Road was going to be an eastern bypass for I-680.

roadman65

How about I-2 crossing the Gulf of Mexico into Fort Myers, FL and then going across the peninsula to West Palm Beach.  Heck why not go further and build it to end in the Bahamas. :)

Hey why not too extend US 1 into Havana from Key West. :)

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Another Arizona one I forgot about was AZ 238.  The road west of Mobile to Gila Bend was paved this past decade and is under Maricopa County control.  I can't imagine that given the quality of some of the county Routes in Maricopa that they will maintain it as well as ADOT can.

And since a couple other posters have mentioned California I'll throw some off kilter Tran-Sierra Routes that never came to be.  My favorite incomlete Trans-Sierra route would be CA 168 just for the sheer absurdity of a Piute Pass route.  Secondary would be CA 203 along the San Joaquin River which honestly would be probably much more realistic since it never would go above 9,500 feet.  Even CA 180 prior to the establishment of Kings Canyon National Park had some crazy high passes it would have had to tackle, more than likely Onion Valley Road would have had to been utilized.  CA 190 is probably the only route that ever stood a realistic chance but really isn't needed with Sherman Pass Road.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on September 27, 2017, 11:30:45 AM
How about I-2 crossing the Gulf of Mexico into Fort Myers, FL and then going across the peninsula to West Palm Beach.  Heck why not go further and build it to end in the Bahamas. :)

Hey why not too extend US 1 into Havana from Key West. :)

Funny to think that Cape Sable to No Name Key was once considered for the Overseas Railroad.  If we're going FritzOwl crazy just extended FL 9336 through Everglades National Park by proxy of the No Name Pub. 

silverback1065

Quote from: Henry on September 27, 2017, 09:08:53 AM
I-70, to serve both the San Francisco Bay Area and the Delmarva Peninsula/Jersey Shore, take your pick.

i-70 was supposed to go that far?  why didnt they finish it?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 27, 2017, 12:21:47 PM

It never was intended to go California, a lot of people think it should since the terrain is workable.  The problem is that almost all of US 50 across Neveda has no traffic and is perfectly adequate as is.  US 95 north of Las Vegas gets drawn into similar debates with I-11 even though the two-lane roadway is pretty damn sufficient.  Basically the big debate with I-70 was connecting it to I-15 via the San Rafael Swell versus a more direct route to Salt Lake City.

roadman65

I heard Delaware don't want no East-West Freeway which could at least make I-70 go to Reehoboth and then if you really want it to go further build a bridge across the Delaware Bay and have it end at the Garden State Parkway in Lower Township, NJ.  This would be via I-97, US 50/301 and MD/DE 404 from Baltimore.

Or you can have it follow US 50 all the way to Ocean City.

Sheryl Crowe

briantroutman

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 27, 2017, 12:21:47 PM

In the original 1947 Interstate System plans, I-70 was intended to dead-end in Denver. The FHWA Rambler column has a detailed entry on how 70 was extended westward and why it ends in Cove Fort.

As someone who's driven from San Francisco to the East (and back) several times, I don't know that an I-70 extension across Nevada to US 50 would be very useful or necessary, and that's before we talk about the feasibility of building new freeways in California's Sierras.

From a quick map search, it appears that a "direct"  route on the US 50 corridor saves only about 25 miles vs the existing I-80/I-25 route between SF and Denver. And once you pass the Lake Tahoe/Carson City area, there's practically nothing between there and the existing end of I-70.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.