News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Exits you've passed by many times, but never used

Started by lepidopteran, October 25, 2017, 07:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lepidopteran

How many highway exits have you ridden or driven past many times, but never actually exited -- or entered -- said highway that way? This would be on any of its movements.

One prime example for me would be Exit 12 of the NJ Turnpike.  Over the past 45 years I've gotten off Exit 13 a lot.  Taken Exit 11 quite a few times.  But never saw the other end of Exit 12.

Not counted are restricted traffic exits, or any "Official Use Only" junctions such as a Department of Transportation facility.  If you're counting rest areas and service plazas, exclude truck-only facilities or weigh stations, unless you're a trucker of course (which would assume you only pass the weigh stations when they're closed, or you have one of those transponder thingies).  Then there's the HOV/HOT-only exits.

vdeane

For me, exits 37 and 38 on the Thruway.  Exits 34 and 32 are probably second and third.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Rothman

I-87, Exit 8A, Grooms Rd.  Don't really care about missing it, either.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

I-75 Exit 78 in Michigan. The Chrysler Drive exit which only really serves the Chrysler World Headquarters in Auburn Hills. Never have had a reason to use this exit and unless your going to the Chrysler HQ's it doesn't serve any other purpose really.

Max Rockatansky

I-10 Exit 26 in Arizona which takes you to Gold Nugget Road east of Quartzsite.  I've looked into what was out there a couple times but really didn't find anything of interest.  Even Hovatter Road has something interesting with the old air strip and legends of the hermit family in the desert.

US 89

These come to mind in SLC urban area. Way too many to count in rural areas.
Exits 131, 132, and 137 on I-80. (131 goes to a rock quarry, 137 goes to some hiking trails, and I have no idea where 132 goes, it's marked "ranch exit" )
15 and 23 on I-215.
14 on SR-201
397 and 405 on US 89

TheHighwayMan3561

I can't be sure if these are 100% accurate just because, but as far as I know...

I-394:
Hopkins Crossroad ("open weekdays til 8, Saturday and Sunday til 5" )

I-494:
Maxwell Ave
5th Ave/7th Ave
Tamarack Rd

I-694:
10th Ave N

I-35W:
Black Dog Road
106th St
94th St
82nd St
Lexington Ave

I-35E:
Dakota County 11
Randolph Ave
Jefferson Ave
Victoria St
St. Clair Ave
Roselawn Ave
Wheelock/Larpenteur

I-94:
Dale St
McKnight Rd

US 169:
63rd Ave

MN 100:
France Ave
42nd Ave

MN 62:
34th Ave

MN 77:
127th St

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sparker

Right here in the San Jose area, I can only think of a few I haven't used: 
     I-280, Exit 1/McLaughlin Ave.
     US 101, Exit 381/Yerba Buena Road
     I-680, Exits 31 & 34, Alcosta Blvd./Bollinger Canyon Rd.

In the greater Bay Area, there are literally dozens I've never had occasion to use; but I can categorically state that I've used every US 101 exit from Gilroy north through Marin County with the exception cited above, every last exit on CA 85, CA 87, and CA 237, and every I-280 exit, again except the one listed (at least since 1975, when I first moved up here from L.A.). 

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 26, 2017, 01:57:58 AM
I-394:
Hopkins Crossroad ("open weekdays til 8, Saturday and Sunday til 5" )

Oh my god I can still hear that line in my head, perfectly. Can't for the life of me remember what it was advertising, though. Edit: Shane Co jewelers!

Edit: to continue with the OP, I'll add the two exits on I-235 west of the 73rd St exit. On the I-35/80 concurrent section, all of them except for the IA-141 and IA-415 exits.

jeffandnicole

For over 19 years, I've passed by Exits 43A&B, 45A&B and 52A&B on I-295 in NJ.  A few of those ramps I used only once or twice; the others I've probably never used.

Every other ramp on 295 between 1 & 60 I've used countless times, including the truck weigh station and the long-since-closed rest area between 47 & 52..

1995hoo

Exit 20 on the Beltway in Maryland (Route 450)–I have no reason ever to use it.

Same goes for most of the exits on the Baltimore—Washington Parkway until you get closer to BWI. South of BWI, the only exits on that road I have used are US-50, Kenilworth Avenue, the Beltway, and MD-193 (that last one not since I was in high school, so at least 26 years now).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

dgolub

Long Island Expressway (I-495) exit 51 for Bagatelle Road.  I've had no reason to use it, and there's nothing to clinch there.

Eth

Exits 34 (Chamblee-Tucker Rd) and 36 (Northlake Pkwy, SB only) on I-285. If I'm headed anywhere to the north, I'll go past both of these, but have never used them.

Jardine

I-29 Honey Creek Iowa

Since they closed the Nickersons there, never get on or off.

spooky

Quote from: Rothman on October 25, 2017, 11:06:16 PM
I-87, Exit 8A, Grooms Rd.  Don't really care about missing it, either.

One of our assignments in my Highway Engineering class at RPI was to create a design report for that interchange when it was constructed. We also visited the site as part of the class.

jp the roadgeek

CT 9 Exit 8 (Beaver Meadow Rd).  Essentially an exit to a backroad in a rural part of Haddam with no major state route connection. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

hbelkins

I have used every exit on I-64 in Kentucky.

I have not, however, used every I-64 exit in West Virginia. I have never used Exit 20A (West Mall Road), nor have I used Exit 50 (WV 25 to Institute). There are several along I-79 in West Virginia that I have also never used, including Exit 46 (Servia), Exit 51 (WV 4/Frametown) and Exit 91 (US 19/Roanoke). I am just listing the ones between Charleston and Weston for this exercise, since I frequently depart or enter I-79 at Corridor H.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

The only possible one I can come up with in the Wichita area is the Hoover exit from K-96.  Although I suppose it's possible I've used it once for some reason.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ColossalBlocks

I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

Takumi

Dalebrook Drive on VA 150. I've used every other exit on every other non-tolled freeway in Richmond at least once, and I don't use the tolled ones enough to really qualify any for this thread.

A second one I know for sure is the VA 165 exit on VA 168. Passed it many, many times going to the Outer Banks, but never got off.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bzakharin

I use the Atlantic City Expressway as part of my regular commute almost end-to-end, and the part I don't use, I use often enough, but I've never used exits 1, 4, 17, or 38.
For the NJ Turnpike, there are more exits I don't use than I do. I only travel between exits 4 and 15X with any frequency. On that stretch, I've never used exits 5, 7, 7A, 8, or 8A.
I've driven I-295 end-to-end as well, but it's actually easier to list exits I've used than those I haven't: 14, 26/27, 28, 29, 31, 32, 34B, 36B, 40A, 45A, 52B, 60, 65, and 7B (currently I-95, but future I-295)
NJ 42, I also drive the freeway portion end-to-end as part of my commute, but have only used the following exits: ACE (unnumbered), 7, 12, 13, and 1B
NJ 55, on the stretch from exit 32 to the northern terminus, I've used only 32, 35, 39, 56, and 58

sbeaver44

This is actually harder to figure out than I thought

Pennsylvania:
Watts exit on US 22/322 just above US 11/15
Exit 134 (Delano) on I-81
Schoenersville Rd and 15th St on US 22 in Allentown
Fishing Access on US 22/322 East in the Lewistown Narrows

New York:
Gang Mills/Robert Dann Drive on I-99/US 15

New Jersey:
Warren Glen exit (4?) on I-78

Maryland:
Timonium Road Exit 16 on I-83
MD 41, MD 147, and MD 542 exits on I-695

Nexus 6P

hotdogPi

Exit 42 on I-95/MA 128
Exit 23 on MA 128 alone
Exits 46 and 48 on I-95 in Massachusetts (and possibly 47)
Exit 34 on I-93 in Massachusetts
Exit 31 on US 3 in Massachusetts
Exit 3 on I-95 in New Hampshire
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

noelbotevera

Since the only interstates in the area is I-81 and I-70, this should be pretty easy.

I travel I-81 between exit 4 in MD to exit 20 in PA pretty frequently. Here's what I'm missing:

Exits 7A and 7B, MD 58: Never had much reason to use it, if I have to go to downtown Hagerstown I'd just take US 40 instead.
Exit 8, Mauginsville Road (SB only): No real point in using it, all it goes to is some unidentifiable woods and a housing development.
Exits 10A and 10B, Showalter Road: If I'm going to an airport, I'd prefer to drive down to DC and use their two airports (Dulles and National Airport).

I've used Exit 1 in PA a little less frequently, only to access a Brother's Pizza where we can pick up a breakfast if we're heading south/towards I-70.

For I-70, I use the stretch between exits 26 and 53 if I'm going to Washington DC, which is somewhat frequent. However, I haven't really used any of the exits in this stretch, since they lead to nowhere.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

epzik8

The closest to me is Interstate 83 exit 8 in Pennsylvania, PA-216 toward Glen Rock.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.