News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

aaroads.com topics in 1964

Started by kphoger, October 31, 2017, 01:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Takumi on November 01, 2017, 11:31:16 AM
Has anyone traveled the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel yet?

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 01, 2017, 03:41:33 PM
It'll be really groovy if they build a bridge and tunnel over the Delaware Bay to connect with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel. 

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 01, 2017, 03:44:45 PM
Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Set to Open This April

I'm noticing a pattern here...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

DTComposer

Long Beach Freeway extension to Pasadena: complete by 1970?

kkt

Trip report: the S.F.-Oakland Bay Bridge, reconstructed to five lanes each way!

DandyDan

One for Iowa people:
If they ever build I-35 north of US 20, they need to build it closer to Mason City instead of Garner.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

sparker

If I-64 was to be moved south from the old Vincennes/US 50/150 alignment, why the hell didn't they take it down to Evansville rather than partway down along Indiana 68?  That's where the regional population is centered!

Beeper1

Mass DPW Officials: Additional Cape Cod Canal bridge could be complete by 1970

formulanone

Develop-it-Yourself Route Number Challenge

TheStranger

I-280 in San Jose: Keep on Route 17 or move to new alignment?

Will A Third San Jose-San Francisco Freeway Be Built

The popularity of double-decker construction

Can someone explain the "105" mileposts on US 101 in downtown LA

Chris Sampang

cwf1701

Explaining the new Michigan Left turn  to someone outside of Michigan.
I-75, keep it via US-10/US-27 or build it along M-76?
Should I-96 be routed via Grand River or via the Lodge Freeway?
Should ON-401 be extended to the Ambassador Bridge and connect to I-75 (The Fisher)?

Max Rockatansky

California Signed County Routes; what roads should be added system?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 01, 2017, 03:41:33 PMIt'll be really groovy if they build a bridge and tunnel over the Delaware Bay to connect with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.

That bridge from Cape May to near Rehoboth would be a great connector between the two. No more having to endure that awful Route 13 traffic in Delaware.  Hey, there's your I-97; down the Delmarva from Wilmington through Dover to the new bridge and tunnel near Norfolk.   At least Jersey travel will be a little lighter on the wallet in a few years when they build the free I-95 south of Exit 10 on the Turnpike to connect to that new freeway that just opened a couple of years ago on the outskirts of Trenton. Heard it will eventually connect right into Center City Philadelphia.  But you're right, making the Garden State I-99 and building that bridge would bring new people to the Jersey Shore resorts.  Who knows; maybe one of them will become a boom town like Las Vegas.

Another couple of connections I heard Robert Moses talking about were bridges to and from Long Island.  One that leads from Brooklyn to Sandy Hook, NJ and another one across Long Island Sound to either CT or RI. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Scott5114

Gorgeous new signs posted by the Oklahoma Department of Highways!!

Will the Oklahoma Department of Highways give me a smudge pot?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Takumi on November 01, 2017, 11:00:50 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 01, 2017, 03:41:33 PMIt'll be really groovy if they build a bridge and tunnel over the Delaware Bay to connect with the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.

I'm not sure if this is due to how I said it, but the dates are fine.  Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel opened in 1964, so it's reasonable to think the next crossing further north could get the same bridge/tunnel crossing in 1964!

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 02, 2017, 08:43:22 AM
I'm not sure if this is due to how I said it, but the dates are fine.  Chesapeake Bridge/Tunnel opened in 1964, so it's reasonable to think the next crossing further north could get the same bridge/tunnel crossing in 1964!
My bad, I inadvertently misread the first part of your sentence (mistook your Delaware Bay reference for Chesapeake Bay).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

thenetwork

ZIP Codes:  A passing fad???

Henry

"Ending I-26 in Asheville, I-40 in Greensboro and I-77 in Charlotte: What the Hell was NC Thinking??? I Think These Should Be Extended Further"
"I-76 Vine Street Expressway in Philadelphia Runs into Potential--and Historic--Roadblock"
"Urban Interstates: The End of Downtown as We Know It"
"Best NBA Player: Wilt Chamberlain, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West or Elgin Baylor?"
"Should I-70 Be Extended Beyond Denver?"
"Cadillac and Oldsmobile to Experiment with FWD Luxury Cars: Good Idea or No?"

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 31, 2017, 03:07:34 PM
I can't wait until the Somerset Freeway is built.  US 1 is a pain, and I'm not paying a toll to drive the NJ Turnpike.
Soon, you could be driving on I-494, which will be a great alternative around the Chicago Loop!

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 01, 2017, 09:04:44 AMAutomaker Pontiac installs 389 inside of mid-sized Tempest and calls it the "Gran Turismo Omologato."  Does this herald a new era in automotive or has Pontiac brass taken things too far?
Meanwhile, Oldsmobile takes its humble Cutlass and creates a new beast with a four-barrel carburetor, four on the floor and two exhaust pipes. Will this new phenomenon catch on with the rest of Detroit, and how long will it last?

Quote from: Takumi on October 31, 2017, 02:42:23 PM
The Ford Mustang: great idea or not?
How long until Chevrolet responds with a future rival, and what would it be called?

Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 31, 2017, 07:10:35 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2017, 02:18:18 PM

By the way, here's a little bit of eye candy related to my original post, from the November—December 1965 edition of the California Highways and Public Works annual report.

"When the sign lights up, do the people hear a 'ding' like on the long-running The Price is Right with Bill Cullen? (which BTW is going away for good come next year and will never ever come back)"
Uh, Mark Goodson, Bill Todman and Bob Barker would like to have a word with you.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

Quote from: Henry on November 02, 2017, 10:47:28 AM
Quote from: Mr. Matté on October 31, 2017, 07:10:35 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 31, 2017, 02:18:18 PM

By the way, here's a little bit of eye candy related to my original post, from the November—December 1965 edition of the California Highways and Public Works annual report.

"When the sign lights up, do the people hear a 'ding' like on the long-running The Price is Right with Bill Cullen? (which BTW is going away for good come next year and will never ever come back)"
Uh, Mark Goodson, Bill Todman and Bob Barker would like to have a word with you.

The original version of The Price Is Right, hosted by Bill Cullen, aired from 1956 to 1965. The Bob Barker/Drew Carey version premiered in 1972.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

I wish there was a place I could get old signs. Anyone know of any good auctions?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

formulanone

FritzOwl unveils his fictional plan for a US Route though Monument Valley.

jeffandnicole

bing101

US-6 in San Pedro and US-66 Pasadena is renamed CA-11.

Plus why do San Francisco area people name their freeways Highway-xx

Should Highway 280 connect to Highway 480 at China Basin.

Why did Candlestick park have to be at southern crossing proposed site.

Elvas Freeway it feels like Sacramento's answer to Arroyo Seco Parkway.

bzakharin

Most Unnecessary Interstate
Funniest Street Names
Erroneous Road Signs

Mapmikey

DC Beltway Completed - traffic woes in our nation's capital solved for tens of weeks to come...

Alaska Route 10 - nothing's going to hold this road back!

Seat belts are for the weak!

Motor Courts you trust

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.