Beautiful Interstate or Limited Access Highways

Started by seicer, November 02, 2017, 10:09:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: roadguy2 on November 02, 2017, 08:16:52 PM
I-70 west of Green River UT

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.  The only time I've driven that stretch, I drove into a rainstorm near the San Rafael Swell so strong I had to slow down to 50 mph to keep from hydroplaning.  That rain in the otherwise stark landscape made it extra beautiful.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

I'll add the toll road between Monterrey (NL) and Saltillo (Coah) to the list, as one of the most beautiful highways I've ever driven.

Carretera Federal 40D
Street View example here
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

fillup420

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 02, 2017, 09:47:19 PM
There is a very great viewing spot on I-77 south of I-81 in Virginia. The roads were one of the main highlights of my trip to Charlotte and DC. Some of the nicest interstates I have ever been on.

Yeah the mountain grade on I-77 near the VA/NC line is stunning.

Also, the Great Smoky Mountain Expressway is one of my favorite drives in the country. For the views, as well as the variety of highways that use that roadway; US 19, US 23, US 74, and US 441.

theline

Quote from: csw on November 03, 2017, 10:55:10 AM
I-88 during autumn is one of my favorites.

In terms of Indiana, the last 10 or 15 miles of I-74 heading eastbound to Cincinnati are as pretty as you'll get in the state. Same goes for I-64 between Ferdinand and New Albany.

Also in Indiana, a newer entry is the section of I-69 between Bloomington and Crane, winding through the hills.

vdeane

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 02, 2017, 10:15:57 PM
I-87 Northway north of ALT NY 7
Really?  While I would consider exits 19-35 to fit the thread, between exits 13-19 and north of 35 are IMO quite probably some of the most boring drives in the entire state.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mgk920

For Wisconsin, I've always liked I-94 west of I-90.  Also US 151 west/southwest of Madison and I-39 between Portage and Coloma.

Mike

ilpt4u

Call me crazy, but I like the views, especially Fall time of year, on the Eastern Ohio Turnpike going into the Western PA Turnpike, as I-80 and I-76 Fist Bump/Trade Places/whatever you want to call it

jmd41280

Quote from: Rothman on November 03, 2017, 10:30:43 AMI-376, coming out of the tunnel into Pittsburgh.

There is a good reason why Pittsburgh was referred to by the NY Times as "the only city with an entrance".  I-279 south coming out of the East Street Valley toward I-579 and downtown Pittsburgh has a similar effect, minus the tunnel.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 02, 2017, 09:47:19 PM
There is a very great viewing spot on I-77 south of I-81 in Virginia. The roads were one of the main highlights of my trip to Charlotte and DC. Some of the nicest interstates I have ever been on.

That stretch of I-77 is my favorite part of the drive whenever I visit my dad in Florida.  The view of the VA/NC countryside, including Pilot Mountain in the distance (and, on a clear day, the Winston-Salem skyline), is simply stunning.

My choices are:
I-99 between Hollidaysburg, PA and State College, PA
I-77 between Beckley, WV and the VA/NC border
I-76 between New Stanton, PA and Harrisburg, PA
The entire route of I-68
I-80 between Clearfield, PA and the I-180/PA 147 junction
I-79 between Weston, WV and US 19 junction (Summersville/Beckley exit)

"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

ilpt4u

Quote from: jmd41280 on November 03, 2017, 10:20:03 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 03, 2017, 10:30:43 AMI-376, coming out of the tunnel into Pittsburgh.
There is a good reason why Pittsburgh was referred to by the NY Times as "the only city with an entrance".  I-279 south coming out of the East Street Valley toward I-579 and downtown Pittsburgh has a similar effect, minus the tunnel.
I've done it from the South and from the North, coming out of the Tunnel from the South and coming from the North heading Inbound on I-279 -- I actually find the 279 experience more awesome -- seems like you are in a mountainy countryside, and you come around a bend -- and you are darn near in downtown Pittsburgh. Its a cool effect

jwolfer

Not sweeping vistas of mountains.  However I rather like i95 between Jacksonville and Brunswick,GA.. great views of the marshes, pine tree forests and marine hammocks.

I appreciate the flatness

I like to think of i95 being the closest road to the ocean at some points

Z981

ilpt4u

No love for US 41/Lake Shore Drive in Chicago yet, ehh?

Got beautiful Lake Michigan on one side, Downtown Chicago on the other. Pass right by the Museum of Science and Industry, Soldier Field, the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Navy Pier, North Ave Beach...Its a different kind of scenic and beautiful, being in an Urban setting, but its pretty neat in its own way

Otto Yamamoto

Interstate 8 in the Mountain Springs area on the San Diego/Imperial county line. Very stark landscape with huge boulders.

P00I

Max Rockatansky

I-70 in the San Rafael Swell beats pretty much everything in the Interstate system for scenic vistas.

IMG_1264 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

1 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

bing101

CA-163 San Diego has a beautiful parkway on the south end of the route.

BakoCondors

Interstate 5 in southern Oregon, especially after a good rain. I drove though there a couple of weeks ago.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2017, 12:01:08 PM

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.  The only time I've driven that stretch, I drove into a rainstorm near the San Rafael Swell so strong I had to slow down to 50 mph to keep from hydroplaning.  That rain in the otherwise stark landscape made it extra beautiful.
Yes I agree with that one.

Also Future I-49 in Fort Smith between AR 22 and US 71 is not that bad, but all of I-49 north of Alma until you hit the NW Arkansas Metropolis is pretty scenic.

I-35 in the Flint Hills of KS is pretty interesting between El Dorado and Emporia.
The Penn Turnpike between Somerset and Carlisle, and the NE Extension north of the Lehigh Tunnel to Scranton are nice.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 03, 2017, 11:18:31 PM
No love for US 41/Lake Shore Drive in Chicago yet, ehh?

Got beautiful Lake Michigan on one side, Downtown Chicago on the other. Pass right by the Museum of Science and Industry, Soldier Field, the Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, Navy Pier, North Ave Beach...Its a different kind of scenic and beautiful, being in an Urban setting, but its pretty neat in its own way

Been stuck in a traffic jam one too many times to have good feelings about that one...

Quote from: roadman65 on November 05, 2017, 08:52:04 PM
I-35 in the Flint Hills of KS is pretty interesting between El Dorado and Emporia.

If you drive it at the right time of year, especially.  If, OTOH, you hit it when ranchers are burning grass, then you end up with colors ranging from tan to black, plus a smoky haze to drive through.  But in the late spring and early summer, it's a grassy paradise.
Male pronouns, please.

Avalanchez71

Quote from: kphoger on November 03, 2017, 12:01:08 PM

I liked it better when it was two lanes.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bickendan

I-5 from Redding to Eugene
I-84 through the Gorge

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota doesn't have much for this; the only two realistic options are I-35 going into Duluth (roughly Exits 249-252) and I-90 around the WI state line.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

RobbieL2415

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 10, 2017, 11:03:15 PM
I-90 in the Berkshires is very underrated.
Probably because everyone's too busy passing trucks going slow up all the steep grades. It needs more climbing lanes out there.

I-90 in general is beautiful from Berkshire County to Buffalo.

capt.ron

I-40 just west of Albuquerque (especially at night!!); I-40 around the Milan, NM area heading northwest through the mountainous terrain.
I-40 east of Albuquerque going up through the pass.
I-40 in Arizona from Ash Fork to Flagstaff, and also around the Lupton area. The rest stop (westbound lanes) around the painted desert is in a nice spot.
US 72 west of Scottsboro, Alabama.
I-5 around the Mt. Shasta area.
I-5 around the Grapevine area.
Most of I-5 in southern Oregon is scenic as well.

ekt8750

I just came back from Vermont and I have to say I-91 is one beautiful freeway from top to bottom (we'll ignore the stretch though Springfield, MA). North of Springfield is spectacular scenery and you have to love the beautiful button copy signage in Connecticut.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.