News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Removal of GSV functionality near sites of terror activity?

Started by TR69, November 05, 2017, 08:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TR69

After the church shooting in Sutherland Springs, Texas earlier today, I went to Google Maps to look at the town. I noticed that the area around the church was not available in Street View. I'm guessing that this is not a coincidence. Has this been a Google policy for a while now? Interesting.

roadman65

The Verazano Bridge in NYC has always had it not shown, and that is not ever been a shooting site, although Al Sharpton did stop traffic on it once for protesting with a bridge march either the Cops in Baltimore or Tulsa, but that is as controversial as that crossing has gotten.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

sbeaver44

I imagine that was related to the (former?) MTA policy about no photo/no video which was signposted on every MTA bridge

Nexus 6P

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sbeaver44 on November 05, 2017, 09:18:19 PM
I imagine that was related to the (former?) MTA policy about no photo/no video which was signposted on every MTA bridge

Nexus 6P

Companies like Google can easily put in a request to take pics of video.  It may be denied, of course.

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 05, 2017, 09:56:51 PM

Nexus 6P

Companies like Google can easily put in a request to take pics of video.  It may be denied, of course.
Is it just MTA or all NYC bridges? There's no GSV for the GWB, Outerbridge, or Goethals either. The tunnels have it, though.

1995hoo

Quote from: bzakharin on November 06, 2017, 12:21:31 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 05, 2017, 09:56:51 PM

Nexus 6P

Is it just MTA or all NYC bridges? There's no GSV for the GWB, Outerbridge, or Goethals either. The tunnels have it, though.

When I looked earlier today, the Verrazano and GW Bridges didn't have it. Neither did the Battery Tunnel. But the other bridges, and the Midtown Tunnel, did.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Tunnels are a better target for terrorism I would think.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ibagli

Maybe someone to do with the church submitted a request to be removed from Street View, and due to the circumstances Google just pulled the affected images until the blur could be added.

pumpkineater2

The side yard of the house in Watertown, MA where one of the Boston bombing suspects was captured, is blurred out:https://goo.gl/maps/vFfun6Bc3Yy
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

kalvado

Quote from: roadman65 on November 06, 2017, 05:35:55 PM
Tunnels are a better target for terrorism I would think.
I am not sure what was the original reason for "no photo". I can imagine suicide prevention coming into play for bridges - but not tunnels.
But overall looks like a lot of pulling images is a patchwork of some random ideas by random people, and pretty meaningless given all dashcams and cell phones out there.

At some point, Empire State Plaza in Albany was blurred on Google satellite view (no street view back then). Probably 9/11 fears.. Unblocked by now...

kkt

If a suicide bomber blew up a truck full of explosives, in a tunnel would probably kill more people.  On a bridge, the heat and force of the explosion would travel mostly upward.  In a tunnel, it travels along the tunnel where it can engulf more other vehicles.  See the Caldecott Tunnel gasoline truck explosion.

NE2

If you can't see street view photos of the tunnel you can't blow it up.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kalvado

Quote from: NE2 on November 07, 2017, 03:48:33 PM
So all those having eyes are potential terrorists!

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on November 07, 2017, 04:30:32 PM
Quote from: NE2 on November 07, 2017, 03:48:33 PM
So all those having eyes are potential terrorists!

Well, yes!  And also those not having eyes.   :D
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.