Roads and Highways That Are Now Parking Lots

Started by theroadwayone, November 07, 2017, 02:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theroadwayone

So there are two obvious examples of roadways used as park-and-ride lots. Two examples are immediately obvious; the first one, I shall not mention. The second one, is what would have been I-95 south of the College Park interchange in Maryland. However, those aren't the only ones. Some messing about on Google Maps yesterday showed me that Otay Mesa Road near San Diego, west of Caliente Road, a.k.a. Old CA-905 is now a park-and-ride. If you know of any other such examples, near where you live or elsewhere, please comment them below. Thanks!

TheHighwayMan3561

In Willmar, MN the easternmost mile of MN 40 was handed over to the city a few years ago because Willmar felt the road was in the way of expanding its industrial park. Part of old MN 40 is now a parking lot for Jennie-O offices.

As for MN 40, its east end was left hanging at Kandiyohi County 5 instead of being rerouted north on that road to US 12, its former east terminus.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

SSOWorld

Kennedy Expressway in Chic...

Oh wait - ;)

East end of I-70.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Mapmikey

The original VA 104 arrival at US 17 (later US 17 arriving at US 17 Bus) along the Dismal Swamp Canal is a parking lot today...

oscar

In Hilo HI, the east end of the Bayfront Highway, east of Pauahi St., was removed from HI 19 and converted to parking for Bayfront Park. The state route was shifted to Pauahi, and back to its former routing on Kamehameha Ave.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

davewiecking

Ramps to never-built (I-695 or I-895) off I-95 adjacent Philly Intl Airport.

PHLBOS

Quote from: davewiecking on November 07, 2017, 08:26:22 AM
Ramps to never-built (I-695 or I-895) off I-95 adjacent Philly Intl Airport.
If you're referring to the expanded Economy Parking Lot (as well as the extension of Runway 17-35); that took over what was once PA 291.  Further west, the Cell Phone/Waiting Area Lot took over a portion of the former eastbound 291 corridor.  291 between Scott Way & Island Ave. was rerouted onto Bartram Ave. (per its current alignment).

Ramp stubs to/from the long-dead Cobbs Creek Expressway (I-695) and the extra space underneath the Arrivals Roadway ramp from I-95 South (where the southern end of I-695 mainline would've been) were never reused/redeveloped.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Joe The Dragon

I think parts of the unfinished ramps in cape town.

vdeane

The former EB/SB lanes of the Robert Moses State Parkway (now Niagara Scenic Parkway) were turned into a parking lot for Niagara Falls State Park.  This may no longer be the case due to the Riverway project, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

ilpt4u

Isn't part of the Old PA Turnpike, just passed the Breezewood exit/I-70, now a maintenance yard/parking lot for either the PTC and/or PennDOT?

inkyatari

There's an interchange for a never built expressway in Milwaukee that is used as a bus stop. complete with parking lot.  Does that count?

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9626719,-87.9624089,952m/data=!3m1!1e3
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Jardine

triplemultiplex

^^
Cool.
It's like they were all trying to evacuate some terrible thing and then could never go back so nature reclaimed it all.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

briantroutman

Quote from: ilpt4u on November 07, 2017, 09:16:44 PM
Isn't part of the Old PA Turnpike, just passed the Breezewood exit/I-70, now a maintenance yard/parking lot for either the PTC and/or PennDOT?

The PTC periodically stores concrete barriers, removed/damaged signs, and various pieces of equipment and other odds and ends on the section behind the closed Ramada Inn–between the original trumpet and the removed US 30 overpass. I've not regularly seen vehicles parked there, so I think to call it a parking lot would be a bit of a stretch.

1995hoo

Oscar would probably know the answer to this one. This thread made me wonder if the stub end of the Farrington Highway on Oahu where the road was abandoned has any kind of parking lot for the trail.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 08, 2017, 11:18:24 AM
Oscar would probably know the answer to this one. This thread made me wonder if the stub end of the Farrington Highway on Oahu where the road was abandoned has any kind of parking lot for the trail.

IIRC, there are parking lots near the ends of the state-maintained parts of the Farrington Highway (HI 93 southeast of Kaena Point, HI 930 east of the point), but the lots are off to the side of the highway. Last I was there, you could drive past the ends of the highway where the pavement ends, though southeast of the point you'll soon be blocked by landslides, and east of the point the road is treacherous (4x4 recommended, but I saw some fishermen park alongside that part of the road) then dead-ends at a stone wall and closure gate.

US71

Quote from: oscar on November 08, 2017, 11:38:54 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 08, 2017, 11:18:24 AM

IIRC, there are parking lots near the ends of the state-maintained parts of the Farrington Highway (HI 93 southeast of Kaena Point, HI 930 east of the point), but the lots are off to the side of the highway. Last I was there, you could drive past the ends of the highway where the pavement ends, though southeast of the point you'll soon be blocked by landslides, and east of the point the road is treacherous (4x4 recommended, but I saw some fishermen park alongside that part of the road) then dead-ends at a stone wall and closure gate.

Part of US 60 near Aurora, MO. It was a divided road at one time, but the EB lanes have been converted into commuter parking.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

PHLBOS

Not sure if this counts but much of the parking lot for the Extended Stay America (as well as Jubilee Drive) in Peabody, MA was the pre-1988 alignment of Route 128 (prior to the I-95 extension & Forest St. interchange construction project).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

TheStranger

The lanes for what would have been the northern portion of the I-80 Sacramento realignment near North Highlands, now parking lots as part of the Watt/I-8, Watt/I-80 West, and Roseville Road light rail stations:
https://goo.gl/maps/GZkUWu4ZHgP2

The parking lots around 7th and Magnolia streets in Oakland are in the right of way of the old Cypress Freeway portion of what was originally Route 17/Business US 50 and was later I-880
https://goo.gl/maps/22PdC9HGX1T2

Likewise, the parking lots at McAllister and on Golden Gate Avenue just west of Gough in San Francisco's Hayes Valley were once part of the right of way for the northernmost part of the original Central Freeway (US 101)
https://goo.gl/maps/9xiah9gXVg32
Chris Sampang

txstateends

In Grand Prairie, TX... just east of the I-30/Belt Line exit, a park-and-ride parking lot was built in the last couple of years.  It was built on land that was previously used for the EB ramp to the toll booths for the Belt Line exit back when that part of I-30 was part of the old DFW Turnpike.  I guess it's good that the excess land found a use, but with Grand Prairie not part of any local transit authority (including DART in Dallas), there's not anything other than ridesharing on a personal/non-transit level that the lot could really be used for.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

shadyjay

The former west end of the Route 34 expressway in New Haven, CT had a parking garage built on top, with the lower level being the built-but-never-opened/finished expressway.

The unopened portion of the I-189 spur in South Burlington, VT west of US 7 is used for parking.  It's still proposed to be completed/opened as the "Southern Connector". 

TheStranger

The former ramp that carried US 101 to Millbrae Avenue west near SFO (which isn't even original to the interchange, but was built ca. 1968 and closed in the late 1990s) is now half parking lot, half water treatment facility on that site.
https://goo.gl/maps/zf4WsV32ayS2

Chris Sampang

RoadWarrior56

For much of the day, I would call much of I-285 around Atlanta a parking lot.

D-Dey65

Granny Road between CR 16 and Woodycrest Drive in Farmingville, New York.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Farmingville,_New_York;_Old_Granny_Road_Parking_Lot.JPG

As for Expressways, there's US 40 as it flanks the formerly proposed I-170 in Baltimore.

oscar

Quote from: D-Dey65 on November 08, 2017, 08:51:11 PM
Granny Road between CR 16 and Woodycrest Drive in Farmingville, New York.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Farmingville,_New_York;_Old_Granny_Road_Parking_Lot.JPG

As for Expressways, there's US 40 as it flanks the formerly proposed I-170 in Baltimore.

Not "proposed" -- I drove it, and saw at least one I-170 sign, before it was decommissioned.

But after the freeway was decommissioned and downgraded to US 40, part of the facility was converted to parking for a transit station.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.