Control City Freak (YouTube Channel)

Started by jaehak, September 16, 2021, 10:16:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaehak

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 08, 2021, 11:28:07 PM
How the heck did you spend 7 1/2 minutes talking about I-27? Wouldn't that need about 7 1/2 seconds?  :bigass:

Great idea! I added a new playlist where I'm doing just that, more or less.

jaehak

Well I'm up too I-41 on the channel. Also made my first list video today ranking the southwestern state's DOTs in signing control cities.

https://youtu.be/1htMue7ygm0

thspfc

Just watched your I-39 video. That distance sign near Portage with Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago on it is one of my favorite road signs. It's my home city, the largest city in my home state, and the nearest BIG city, all on one sign. It also has to be the highest combined mileage on a distance sign in WI, at 314.

thspfc

Quote from: jaehak on December 09, 2021, 11:43:08 AM
Well I'm up too I-41 on the channel. Also made my first list video today ranking the southwestern state's DOTs in signing control cities.

Also agree about I-41 through Green Bay. Very good-looking and well-built freeway, especially for a city of Green Bay's size.

jaehak

Quote from: thspfc on December 13, 2021, 08:14:47 PM
Quote from: jaehak on December 09, 2021, 11:43:08 AM

Also agree about I-41 through Green Bay. Very good-looking and well-built freeway, especially for a city of Green Bay's size.

I'm working on 43 atm, and 41 definitely looks a lot better than 43 does in Green Bay. Nice bridge on 43 tho

jaehak

Newest episode, roadgeek review of National Lampoon's Vacation. https://youtu.be/zXb82RGlMyo

FredAkbar

Thanks for making these, they are fun.

I watched the two I-5 videos and noticed a common theme where you don't seem to like when the "secondary" control city is too minor. Notably at 7:00 of the I-5 South video you say that the 5 South sign should say Sacramento / Los Angeles, and the 505 sign would be better as Oakland / San Francisco.

I don't agree in these cases because the secondary control city is nearby, so it could still be helpful for people who aren't sure which road goes there. For example if you know that Winters is generally south of that interchange but aren't sure which highway is a more direct route, there's value in stating that on the sign. I think having 1 nearby city and 1 far away city is a good mix that conveys more information. Having "Oakland / San Francisco" is redundant because they're both far away along the same direction and if you know how to get to one you'll know how to get to the other.

invincor

Todd,
Do you have an idea yet of which of the remaining interstates will get the 2-part treatment?  I think I can guess that 80, 90, 94, and 95 will need at least that many, heck maybe 4 parts for some of them, but which others?

SkyPesos

Quote from: invincor on August 30, 2022, 02:00:35 PM
Todd,
Do you have an idea yet of which of the remaining interstates will get the 2-part treatment?  I think I can guess that 80, 90, 94, and 95 will need at least that many, heck maybe 4 parts for some of them, but which others?
Taking my guesses, 84, 86 and 88 would most likely be 2 parts by default as they're 2 disjointed segments.

Could see an I-87 and "I-87" 2-parter like what he did for 74.

Since I-77 was a 2-parter, I'm guessing that I-81 and I-85 would be so as well, along with I-80, 90, 94 and 95 you mentioned.

jaehak

Quote from: SkyPesos on August 30, 2022, 02:33:20 PM
Quote from: invincor on August 30, 2022, 02:00:35 PM
Todd,
Taking my guesses, 84, 86 and 88 would most likely be 2 parts by default as they're 2 disjointed segments.

Could see an I-87 and "I-87" 2-parter like what he did for 74.

Since I-77 was a 2-parter, I'm guessing that I-81 and I-85 would be so as well, along with I-80, 90, 94 and 95 you mentioned.

Offhand I'm thinking it will be all of those. 95 will probably be 3-4 parts.

skluth

Quote from: thspfc on December 13, 2021, 08:05:02 PM
Just watched your I-39 video. That distance sign near Portage with Madison, Milwaukee, and Chicago on it is one of my favorite road signs. It's my home city, the largest city in my home state, and the nearest BIG city, all on one sign. It also has to be the highest combined mileage on a distance sign in WI, at 314.

Close. This is just being pedantic, but 320 miles going to where my favorite brew in college was made and ultimately to my home town. 

invincor

Todd's clearly doing I-80 in just two parts (albeit with a break in between them), so I guess the other long ones will only be two parts as well.

US20IL64

Title of recent video, "Which is I-180 is worst I-180 is worst?"

Should be either "... is worse?" or "...is the worst?"    :poke:

SkyPesos

After which interstate would you anticipate the Northeast ranking state DOTs video to be released?

jaehak

Quote from: SkyPesos on October 08, 2022, 07:47:51 PM
After which interstate would you anticipate the Northeast ranking state DOTs video to be released?

95, which will probably be 4 parts, so somewhere in the mix of those

Roadgeekteen

Can't wait to see your thoughts on New England cities used liked Waltham, Portsmouth, and Peabody.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Amaury

I of course watched the one on Interstate 82 since that's in my home state. I can't comment on the control cities themselves and whether or not they make sense as I'm not experienced enough nor do I understand enough on being able to tell if X control city makes more sense than Y control city or vice-versa. I look forward to ones on Interstate 90, also in my home state, and Interstate 84.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

wriddle082

Whenever you finally do the I-99 video (which will probably be early next spring), you should just play as much of "There's No Easy Way Out"  as you can get away with.  Since you know the controls aren't going to be NYC for northbound or Pittsburgh for southbound.  And you might have to start playing it for whenever you enter North Carolina as well, which it looks like you will have at least 3 more opportunities to do, though I'm assuming it will be 4 more times since I-95 should be two episodes (both of which will of course feature Benson: the Limon of the East!).

RoadWarrior56

I love your rants about Limon in Colorado, and your overall sense of humor.  You are a must watch for me every Thursday.  BTW, while the Ukrainian army was surrounding Lymon in eastern Ukraine in the last two weeks and eventually captured it, I kept thinking about your YouTube channel, since both cities are pronounced the same way.

jaehak

Quote from: wriddle082 on October 14, 2022, 05:48:28 AM
Whenever you finally do the I-99 video (which will probably be early next spring), you should just play as much of "There's No Easy Way Out"  as you can get away with.  Since you know the controls aren't going to be NYC for northbound or Pittsburgh for southbound.  And you might have to start playing it for whenever you enter North Carolina as well, which it looks like you will have at least 3 more opportunities to do, though I'm assuming it will be 4 more times since I-95 should be two episodes (both of which will of course feature Benson: the Limon of the East!).

Turns out it's about 8.9 seconds. I had something like 9.3 originally and I got a demonetization ding for the vid. I deleted, cut maybe 4 tenths of a second, and reuploaded and it worked.

jaehak

Quote from: RoadWarrior56 on October 14, 2022, 06:23:30 AM
I love your rants about Limon in Colorado, and your overall sense of humor.  You are a must watch for me every Thursday.  BTW, while the Ukrainian army was surrounding Lymon in eastern Ukraine in the last two weeks and eventually captured it, I kept thinking about your YouTube channel, since both cities are pronounced the same way.

Thanks! And yeah that was weird, I was totally shocked by all that.

invincor

How far ahead do you work on these videos?   Are we seeing them pretty much as they are finished, or are you working a few weeks ahead?  And how long does one take to make on average?

KCRoadFan

I look forward to the next video every Thursday, so I was surprised to see the one for I-83 come out today. Any particular reason why it was posted a day early?

Also: because Thanksgiving is a Thursday, here's a question I have regarding that week: will you be posting a video that day, doing it the day before or the day after, or just skipping that week entirely?

jaehak

Quote from: invincor on October 18, 2022, 12:44:43 PM
How far ahead do you work on these videos?   Are we seeing them pretty much as they are finished, or are you working a few weeks ahead?  And how long does one take to make on average?

It all depends. I've been as far as 4 weeks ahead but right now way less, just recorded the next one today in fact. Finding GSV images can take a while, sometimes even on shorter roads because I have to dig a little deeper to find enough interesting stuff to talk about. Soup to nuts probably around 30 minutes work per minute of length in the vid, although that guess could e way off

jaehak

Quote from: KCRoadFan on October 19, 2022, 04:24:31 PM
I look forward to the next video every Thursday, so I was surprised to see the one for I-83 come out today. Any particular reason why it was posted a day early?

Also: because Thanksgiving is a Thursday, here's a question I have regarding that week: will you be posting a video that day, doing it the day before or the day after, or just skipping that week entirely?

Just a brain fart on my part, I scheduled it to release on the wrong day lol. I'll Most likely post on Thanksgiving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.