News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brandon

Speaking of our shitty roads...

Chicago, rest of Illinois get a C- for state of roads, bridges from engineering trade group

QuoteIllinois' roads got a D, as they are ranked third worst nationally for travel delay, excess fuel consumed, truck congestion cost and total congestion cost, the engineers' report found. The report noted that despite the need for maintenance and repair, the state's 19-cent-per gallon fuel tax has remained the same since 1991. Other states have raised their gas taxes in recent years to fund road programs.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2018, 03:22:08 PM

Chicago, rest of Illinois get a C- for state of roads, bridges from engineering trade group

QuoteIllinois' roads got a D, as they are ranked third worst nationally for travel delay, excess fuel consumed, truck congestion cost and total congestion cost, the engineers' report found. The report noted that despite the need for maintenance and repair, the state's 19-cent-per gallon fuel tax has remained the same since 1991. Other states have raised their gas taxes in recent years to fund road programs.

If you'd bothered to read the entire article, you would've also read this:

"As poor as it is, the Illinois grade is a little better than the 2017 national average grade of D+"

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 23, 2018, 04:38:47 PM
Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2018, 03:22:08 PM

If you'd bothered to read the entire article, you would've also read this:

"As poor as it is, the Illinois grade is a little better than the 2017 national average grade of D+"

And two paragraphs later...

QuoteIllinois' roads got a D, as they are ranked third worst nationally for travel delay, excess fuel consumed, truck congestion cost and total congestion cost, the engineers' report found.

EDIT: The headline is VERY misleading, as the grade incorporates waterways and public transit as well.  It's an infrastructure grade, not a highways grade.

EDIT 2:  Here's a link to the actual report...

https://www.infrastructurereportcard.org/making-the-grade/
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

cwm1276

On 20/39 around Rockford the message signs say avoid changing lanes due to potholes in between lanes.  Northbound 39 gets 2 mobile signs saying the same thing.

tribar

Classic IDOT. Just put up signs saying how bad it is instead of actually fixing the problem.

adt1982

I-55 between Springfield and the Sangamon-Montgomery County line has been littered with potholes this past week.  I have never seen this many potholes in about a 15-mile stretch of road before.

johndoe780

Quote from: cwm1276 on February 24, 2018, 01:42:04 PM
On 20/39 around Rockford the message signs say avoid changing lanes due to potholes in between lanes.  Northbound 39 gets 2 mobile signs saying the same thing.

Wouldn't be so bad if they actually cracksealed between the asphalt years ago instead of just throwing patch on it as they do now.

cwm1276

Doesn't help that the 50+ year old road needs is planned to be replaced, so they don't spend anything to patch it either.  Bridges that are scheduled to replaced are not being painted, Perryville rd which would need to be replaced when 20/39 is widened. Just west, 20th street, that bridge just needs to be replaced. 

inkyatari

Was googling for news on the I-55 / Weber road intersection, and came upon this article from the Chicago Tribune about adding toll lanes to I-55.

Then I read the comments...

Looks like someone we all "know and love"  commented, but I'm not sure what angle the commenter was going for.

ILRoad55

seems like he is very against Rapid Transit. From living in the city since August, my views have changed a lot on the expressways and railways. I'm all in for CTA expansion over expressway expansion.

But I totally understand the Eisenhower and 80 needing a widening. As for 55, I think it's fine, I've never had major problems on it. There's traffic on it and I get it, but it's not horrendous like the Kennedy or the Eisenhower. Hell, the Kennedy has more lanes than the Stevenson yet it's traffic is worse, adding lanes doesn't reduce traffic.

Reading their other comments on various articles, oof. If you really can't take it, if you really hate Chicago and Illinois, get the f*ck out.

inkyatari

Quote from: ILRoad55 on March 02, 2018, 11:18:57 AM

Reading their other comments on various articles, oof. If you really can't take it, if you really hate Chicago and Illinois, get the f*ck out.

Would if I could, but that's an area we don't want to go into here.

abefroman329

If you really can't take it, if you really hate Chicago and Illinois, get the f*ck out.

This is excellent advice.

Brandon

If you really can't take it, if you really hate Chicago and Illinois, get the f*ck out.

It is possible to hate Chicago's criminals..er..politicians and still like the state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on March 02, 2018, 03:24:58 PM

It is possible to hate Chicago's criminals..er..politicians and still like the state.

Spend some time in Michigan. Been here for 3 months for a project. It has its own transportation idiocy issues.

At least idot cleans the snow off the roads and I'll leave it at that for now.

quickshade

The problem is as always they are all out of touch with reality. Someone should stick them to be an Uber driver around Illinois for a week. Maybe that would get them to open their eyes to the problems people face here.

Brandon

Quote from: johndoe780 on March 02, 2018, 10:44:12 PM

Spend some time in Michigan. Been here for 3 months for a project. It has its own transportation idiocy issues.

MDOT lacks the corruption issues, actually builds roads to last (even if maintenance can lack at times), and has a clue about how to build roads to keep traffic moving.  Until IDiOT can figure that out, my comments all stand.

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on March 03, 2018, 08:22:07 AM
Quote from: johndoe780 on March 02, 2018, 10:44:12 PM

MDOT lacks the corruption issues, actually builds roads to last (even if maintenance can lack at times), and has a clue about how to build roads to keep traffic moving.  Until IDiOT can figure that out, my comments all stand.

The highways don't get as much truck traffic as it's not a centrally located state and the cities aren't as densely populated hence why the traffic is less. You been on 75 in Oakland county? It's a third world country out there.

Local roads are complete crap. Mdot does a decent job on the state highways i.e. telegraph rd

paulthemapguy

Quote from: inkyatari on March 02, 2018, 12:41:59 PM

Would if I could, but that's an area we don't want to go into here.

Everybody already is.  Our goverment practically doesn't exist.  It has no money, and it has no one willing to do their jobs.  You can despise the government and still love where you're from.  Demanding reform is a labor of love, not hate.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-illinois-population-decline-met-20161220-story.html
http://abc7chicago.com/realestate/illinois-most-moved-from-state-in-2017-study-finds/2851961/
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

johndoe780

ilpt4u

Being down in my neck of the woods, since moving down to SoIL -- the 6 Laning of I-57 between I-24 and I-64 has been in the works for a while, and some parts of the corridor are done. I do not know if this is the full remaining 4 Lane section, or if this is just finishing within Williamson County - probably the latter.

Pretty high truck traffic corridor and there are a lot of wrecks on the stretch, often involving trucks and can involve fatalities, too

Some of the overpasses in that area have already been rebuilt for 6 lanes + shoulders, and I believe all ROW is existing. Unless the Johnston City Exit Interchange has to be rebuilt, this should be pretty straight forward.

Previous improvements in the area gave SoIL a SPUI and a DDI -- I-57 at IL 13 and at The Hill Ave, respectfully

Not to mention, the Underpass/Interchange to nowhere, between Marion and Carbondale on IL 13 (near Carterville and Crainville) @ Wolf Creek Rd https://goo.gl/maps/CgfYYEn6UKE2

SoIL truly believes their tax dollars subsidize the Chicago area, and not vice versa. I can't figure out where the natives get that idea, cause it doesn't make sense, and isn't supported by any tax collected vs expenditure reports

Rick Powell

Quote from: johndoe780 on March 07, 2018, 10:51:28 PM

$7.6 million to repave and add another lane for 5 miles in either direction sounds about right for a rural road, no?
Depends on the type of construction. It could be done if there is minimal grading and bridge work, and all you are doing is adding an adjacent lane and maybe 3" of asphalt resurfacing to the others. Federal funds for interstate rehabilitation on the "legacy" system (of which I-57 is a part) usually pay for 90%, requiring an additional 10% state match. In addition to this TIGER grant, IDOT could also use additional federal I-Maintenance funds or other sources if there was a funding gap.

johndoe780

Quote from: ilpt4u on March 07, 2018, 11:58:02 PM
Being down in my neck of the woods, since moving down to SoIL -- the 6 Laning of I-57 between I-24 and I-64 has been in the works for a while, and some parts of the corridor are done. I do not know if this is the full remaining 4 Lane section, or if this is just finishing within Williamson County - probably the latter.

Pretty high truck traffic corridor and there are a lot of wrecks on the stretch, often involving trucks and can involve fatalities, too

Some of the overpasses in that area have already been rebuilt for 6 lanes + shoulders, and I believe all ROW is existing. Unless the Johnston City Exit Interchange has to be rebuilt, this should be pretty straight forward.

Previous improvements in the area gave SoIL a SPUI and a DDI -- I-57 at IL 13 and at The Hill Ave, respectfully

Not to mention, the Underpass/Interchange to nowhere, between Marion and Carbondale on IL 13 (near Carterville and Crainville) @ Wolf Creek Rd https://goo.gl/maps/CgfYYEn6UKE2

SoIL truly believes their tax dollars subsidize the Chicago area, and not vice versa. I can't figure out where the natives get that idea, cause it doesn't make sense, and isn't supported by any tax collected vs expenditure reports

Dick Durbin is from southern Illinois, no? He does a pretty bad job representing it.

onto roads, southern illinois roads are in a lot better condition than its counterparts in the north and whether that may be due to wear and tear from road traffic or the heavier winters or whatever, roads were really smooth when I went to carbondale last november.

adt1982

Quote from: johndoe780 on March 09, 2018, 12:09:10 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on March 07, 2018, 11:58:02 PM

Dick Durbin is from southern Illinois, no? He does a pretty bad job representing it.

onto roads, southern illinois roads are in a lot better condition than its counterparts in the north and whether that may be due to wear and tear from road traffic or the heavier winters or whatever, roads were really smooth when I went to carbondale last november.

Durbin was born in East Saint Louis and lives in Springfield.

cwm1276

US20/I39 around Rockford got permanent signs in both directions saying rough road.  Before the rough road signs were just on the sawhorse like barricades.

Nothing like exiting the Tollway and seeing double rough road signs, the signs are placed in both sides of each directions. 

tribar

Illinois: we can't/won't fix our roads but we can tell you exactly how bad they are.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.