News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 10:01:29 AM
Results of a 2021 study by TRIP:

That only takes account the interstate mileage.. I'm talking about the whole picture. I don't really have issue with Wisconsin interstates other than them being boring

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on January 05, 2023, 07:31:40 PM
I don't really have issue with Wisconsin interstates other than them being boring

Almost there.

You agree, then, that Interstate bridges in Illinois suck?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 07:49:28 PM
I don't really have issue with Wisconsin interstates other than them being boring

Almost there.

Only 8% of them but they are being fixed/replaced.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Crash_It on January 05, 2023, 10:39:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 05, 2023, 07:49:28 PM

Almost there.

Only 8% of them but they are being fixed/replaced.

Meh, for the most part no they're not. IL is no better at this than any other state.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

skluth

Anyone from Illinois calling another state's interstates boring is the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. I'm not sure which of I-57, I-39, I-80, and I-72 in Illinois is more boring, but every one is more boring than any Wisconsin interstate (though the non-concurrent part of I-39 north of Portage may come close). I-74 and I-55 aren't much better. There are more boring interstates than the ones in Illinois, but none are east of the Mississippi except Florida.

hobsini2

Quote from: skluth on January 06, 2023, 10:52:22 AM

Anyone from Illinois calling another state's interstates boring is the proverbial pot calling the kettle black. I'm not sure which of I-57, I-39, I-80, and I-72 in Illinois is more boring, but every one is more boring than any Wisconsin interstate (though the non-concurrent part of I-39 north of Portage may come close). I-74 and I-55 aren't much better. There are more boring interstates than the ones in Illinois, but none are east of the Mississippi except Florida.
Don't forget I-88 being relatively boring. I will say that 57 south of 64 is a pretty drive.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Max Rockatansky

I'd go further and say that 90-95% of Interstate mileage is uninteresting.  What segments of Interstate in Illinois that aren't boring tend to be centered around Chicago (even though they are flat).

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 11:34:45 AM
What segments of Interstate in Illinois that aren't boring tend to be centered around Chicago (even though they are flat).

It is true that aggravating is not boring.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JoePCool14

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 06, 2023, 10:56:37 AM
Don't forget I-88 being relatively boring. I will say that 57 south of 64 is a pretty drive.

At least I-88 isn't that long. But once you get into Iowa, things don't get much better.

Illinois' Interstate mileage is generally either boring or aggravating. But that's also most states' Interstate systems. I-41/94 in Wisconsin south of Milwaukee is excellent in terms of quality, but it's pretty boring once you've driven it a couple times.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 06, 2023, 12:13:56 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 06, 2023, 11:34:45 AM
What segments of Interstate in Illinois that aren't boring tend to be centered around Chicago (even though they are flat).

It is true that aggravating is not boring.

Aggravating yes, at minimum the back drop of the Chicago Skyline is nice to look at. 

Crash_It

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 06, 2023, 12:20:31 PM

At least I-88 isn't that long. But once you get into Iowa, things don't get much better.

Illinois' Interstate mileage is generally either boring or aggravating. But that's also most states' Interstate systems. I-41/94 in Wisconsin south of Milwaukee is excellent in terms of quality, but it's pretty boring once you've driven it a couple times.

41/94 in WI is considerably more boring than the 94 or 41 in IL, you're on an elevated surface nearly the whole entire time. I've gotten the habit of avoiding it and taking the frontage instead to make it slightly more varied and interesting. The entirety of 80/94 in Indiana and I-65 except for Lafayette and around Columbus can kick rocks too as well as 465.

skluth

Quote from: Crash_It on January 06, 2023, 02:03:49 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 06, 2023, 12:20:31 PM

41/94 in WI is considerably more boring than the 94 or 41 in IL, you're on an elevated surface nearly the whole entire time. I've gotten the habit of avoiding it and taking the frontage instead to make it slightly more varied and interesting. The entirety of 80/94 in Indiana and I-65 except for Lafayette and around Columbus can kick rocks too as well as 465.

Yes, I will agree that the Edens, Kennedy, and Dan Ryan are all more exciting than the racetrack through Racine and Kenosha Counties. Driving in bumper-to-bumper traffic with the added thrill of someone with road rage shooting at you is more excitement than I can handle.

hobsini2

I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Hobart

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 07, 2023, 01:30:43 PM
Getting back to non-Crash It items, The Highway & MMY IDOT plan is out for FY 2023-2028.
https://idot.illinois.gov/transportation-system/transportation-management/transportation-improvement-programs-/multi-modal-transportation-improvement-program/index

Thank god! They're updating the signals at the intersection of Cicero and Lincoln Highway. Right now they have exactly one overhead signal controlling each approach, with left and right supplementals. One of these approaches has three thru lanes, a left turn lane, and a right turn lane, and the signal configuration itself seems to be underbuilt.

They're also doing Wolf and 183rd... which I don't really see the point of, because nobody uses 183rd west of LaGrange, and 191st and 80th, which although probably deserved, isn't even maintained by the state unless either of those roads are unsigned highways.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

JoePCool14

Some items to note of interest in Lake County:

- The US-41/IL-176 "interchange" in Lake County is finally going to be reconstructed, including a new bridge.

- US-14 is scheduled to get RR grade separation in Barrington.

- IL-22 and IL-83 intersection is going to see improvements. Maybe additional thru-lanes?

- IL-60/IL-83 concurrency is going to receive additional lanes including RR grade separation at the crossing north of IL-176.

- IL-131 is going to receive "additional lanes" (probably 4-laned) north to Wadsworth Road.

- Deerfield Road is going to receive "additional lanes" between Milwaukee Ave and Saunders Rd. Very important, as it's currently the last two-lane bottleneck between I-94 (NB exit/SB entrance) and points west.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Crash_It

Quote from: JoePCool14 on January 08, 2023, 11:51:41 AM
Some items to note of interest in Lake County:

- The US-41/IL-176 "interchange" in Lake County is finally going to be reconstructed, including a new bridge.

Thank goodness for this. They're also going to add another thru lane. That should help greatly with the people that can't handle a simple curve and as a result drive side by side with each other at 40mph or less. Resulting in so many honking situations   

Rick Powell

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Rick Powell on January 08, 2023, 09:45:55 PM
Getting back to non-Crash It items, The Highway & MMY IDOT plan is out for FY 2023-2028.
https://idot.illinois.gov/transportation-system/transportation-management/transportation-improvement-programs-/multi-modal-transportation-improvement-program/index
The 23-28 MYP has actually been out since last summer. :-)
I don't blame the guy if he was just trying to bring something else up to change the subject  :cool:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

hobsini2

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 09, 2023, 09:30:04 AM
Quote from: Rick Powell on January 08, 2023, 09:45:55 PM
The 23-28 MYP has actually been out since last summer. :-)
I don't blame the guy if he was just trying to bring something else up to change the subject  :cool:
I was. :)

edwaleni

Actually, I like the long stretches of Illinois interstates. Boring and beauty vary among the drivers.

Short of creating a thread on "boring" stretches of roads....

I-10 from Baldwin, Florida to Pensacola, FL (with a brief point of interest in Tallahassee) is the most challenging because the forest comes right up to the highway for several hundred miles. No billboards and very few exits make it a mind sleeper.

As for the route of reduced interest, for me it was I-90 from Hardin, Montana down to the Sheridan, Wyoming. Unless you have SiriusXM, there are no FM radio stations.  I used to set my FM tuner to "scan" and it would search for an hour or two looking for a station and failing.

As for routes in Illinois I appreciate, while a dangerous route, US-20 from Freeport to Dubuque, Iowa in the fall is wonderful. IL-1/IL-146 from near Shawneetown, south through Golconda, Rosieclare is a great drive.

SEWIGuy

IL-2 from Sterling to Rockford is a nice drive as well.

hobsini2

I always enjoyed the drive along Route 26 between Hennepin and Route 116 or Route 29 between I-180 and Peoria along the Illinois River.

edwaleni

Quote from: hobsini2 on January 14, 2023, 09:13:28 AM
I always enjoyed the drive along Route 26 between Hennepin and Route 116 or Route 29 between I-180 and Peoria along the Illinois River.

Agreed. Route 29 along the Illinois River is really nice. There is a restaurant in Henry we used to stop at, but I can't remember the name of it.

Crash_It

Quote from: edwaleni on January 17, 2023, 10:41:41 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on January 14, 2023, 09:13:28 AM

Agreed. Route 29 along the Illinois River is really nice. There is a restaurant in Henry we used to stop at, but I can't remember the name of it.

Route 26 on the other side of the river is nice too. I featured it in this video

https://youtu.be/S5Pu7dRTDGs

paulthemapguy

The riverside drives in the northern 3/4 of Illinois are the best drives outside of the Driftless Region, especially in autumn.  I try to make it a point in every October to drive some of the riverside highways, because they are often the Illinois highways most consistently lined with colorful trees.  These riverside highways include Illinois 26, 29, 2, and 25. 71 from Ottawa to Oglesby is nice as well.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.