News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Quote from: adt1982 on November 04, 2023, 07:57:13 PM
I feel like I read somewhere about a reroute in the plans for IL 3 in that area to remove it from the interstates and put it all back onto surface streets, but I'll have to look for it.

It came out of the process that led to the new Mississippi River Bridge.  IL 3 was to be on new alignment from just south of the PSB Complex to around the Broadway intersection in Venice.  So far only the IL 3 Spur segment and the intersection with Broadway in Venice have managed to be constructed.  See https://idot.illinois.gov/content/dam/soi/en/web/idot/documents/idot-projects/district-8/relocated-illinois-3-new-mississippi-river-bridge-corridors-of-protection/exhibit-1---edit-doc2.pdf

edwaleni

IDOT to reveal preferred route for the new Quincy Memorial Bridge at public meeting.

https://muddyrivernews.com/noteworthy/idot-to-hold-public-meeting-on-memorial-bridge-replacement-thursday/20231206094353/

QUINCY – The Illinois Department of Transportation will hold a public meeting Dec. 7 at The Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Corps Community Center about the proposed replacement of the Quincy Memorial Bridge.
"We are pleased that we will have the opportunity to work with the state of Missouri and the city of Quincy to replace the bridge and enhance the transportation system within the region," said Jeff Myers, IDOT Regional Engineer for Region 4. "This public meeting is a major step in the process. I encourage anyone interested to attend, ask questions and offer feedback."

The meeting is scheduled to run from 4 to 6 p.m. at the Kroc Center, 405 Vermont. The purpose of the meeting is to present the preferred design for the improvement and to seek comments from the public. Exhibits, maps and aerial photography of the study area will be presented for viewing during the meeting.

No formal presentation will be made, but IDOT staff and consultants will be available to answer questions and receive comments from those in attendance.

Memorial Bridge, which is more than 90 years old and carries 7,000 vehicles per day on eastbound U.S. 24, originally carried traffic in both directions between Illinois and Missouri until Bayview Bridge opened in 1987, with westbound traffic moving to the new bridge.

Planning for a replacement started in 2014 but did not advance due to lack of funding. Gov. JB Pritzker's Rebuild Illinois capital plan calls for $150 million for the new bridge, with the State of Missouri reimbursing Illinois half of those dollars upon completion.

Construction on the new bridge could begin as early as 2029.

For more information, please visit the project webpage at :

https://quincymemorialbridge.com/

Comments may be submitted at the meeting or mailed to:

Illinois Department of Transportation, District 6
126 E. Ash St.
Springfield, IL 62704
Attn: Jay Wavering, P.E.

Comments received by Jan. 9, 2024, will be included in the official project record

https://www.whig.com/news/community/public-meeting-lays-out-road-forward-for-memorial-bridge-replacement/article_dd587482-955c-11ee-b74d-27c1d438ec61.html

QUINCY — Jeffrey Myers says things are actively moving forward on the replacement for Quincy's Memorial Bridge.

"It's been a while since we've been out in front of the public," said Myers, engineer for Region 4 of the Illinois Department of Transportation, Thursday at an open meeting held at the Kroc Center. "We have had advisory group meetings with the city of Quincy and then we took a brief step back while the regional transportation study was done, including the feasibility study on Illinois 57 and how that might affect this job.

"Now we've gotten through those issues, and we're back and presenting the current alternatives for replacing the Memorial Bridge."

Following initial planning and data-gathering sessions that started nearly a decade ago, the bridge replacement project was included in the six-year infrastructure program announced in June .

"This will likely be in the back half of that, so we needed the maintenance on Memorial Bridge to make it last long enough to get this designed and then probably two to three seasons to actually get it built," Myers said.

Memorial Bridge had extensive renovation work that began in 2021 and wrapped up in 2022.

Along with the city of Quincy, Myers said the Illinois and Missouri departments of transportation have had an excellent working relationship on projects that span the river into both states.

"We've been working really closely with both the city of Quincy and the Missouri Department of Transportation for quite some time on this project," he said. "They've both been really good partners to work with. Both states will fund it, but we kind of swap back and forth on who takes the lead on these projects. With the Champ Clark Bridge in Louisiana, they took the lead on that one, so Illinois will be the lead for this one."

As the planning phase starts to wind down and the design phase starts to ramp up next year, Myers said the current design for the new bridge is a type that's found in other communities in the region.

"We'll pick out the structure type early in the design phase because that will steer a lot of the work afterwards," he said. "What we've looked at that will probably be the most cost-effective for this span is going to be a tied-arch style. That's similar to what's in place in Meredosia.

"This is just a preliminary thought," Myers added, "but the span is probably too big for just a regular plate bridge like Champ Clark, and a cable-stayed like Bayview Bridge is probably the most expensive option and would really add to the cost here."

Members of the community who weren't able to make it to Thursday's public meeting will still have a chance to let their views be known. IDOT has a website, quincymemorialbridge.com, set up to host the exhibits from the meetings and to post updates in the process. Public comments can be submitted through Jan. 9 at the website or by mail to Illinois Department of Transportation, District 6, 126 E. Ash St. Springfield, IL 62704 Attn: Jay Wavering, P.E.

edwaleni

The IDOT Engineer referenced the Meredosia Bridge as the most likely design for the Quincy Memorial based on cost and span requirements.

That new bridge looks like this:

Sapphuby

I live around here and I've read stuff saying that they should use the York Street alignment, which would be interesting to say the least, but it would nuke the businesses on Maine Street thriving off of inflow from the current bridge. On another note, I wish they would keep some of the bridge if they tear it down, even though this is my nostalgia spiel. They have some metal on 2nd and Maine that I think is from a railroad bridge, so I feel somewhat confident saying they'll do the same to this bridge with how long its been here. But yeah, the bridge has been underwater quite a few times during floods, clogging our other bridge, and the nasty rehabilitation during 2021 left Bayview really congested. Next time I'm on the bridge, I might wanna get a video of it before it's gone for good. Gonna be sad, since the ba-dump, ba-dump was funny, and my dad speeding, going 95 on it when I was little, but it's all nostalgia for me, and we could really use a wider, higher, and less steep bridge. Just not sure where they're gonna go with the location of the bridge. About the design, as long as they make it blue I won't care.  :D

edwaleni

Here are the choices being offered for the new span.

Just my humble opinion. Maine Street doesn't have any more businesses from the river to 4th Street than York Street does.

Since anyone wanting to stay on US-24 will have to turn left on 4th (one way) anyway (just like Maine) I don't think York is a big stretch.

An exit on York has some advantages, the Quincy Arts Center and the 2 hotels supporting it are immediately available.

The con of using York is the Riverside BBQ will probably have to come down to accommodate turn lanes.

The other benefit of using York, is it provides visual separation between the Bayview Bridge and the new Memorial Bridge.

Since they will have completely different styles of spans, the more separation, the better, so they can stand out on their own.

My only hope is that IDOT doesn't have to tamper with all of that quarry stone holding up Kohl Wholesale. Kohl also owns the lots on the other side of York which are vacant.

Sapphuby

Yeah... riverside also happens to be one of my family's favorite eateries. Good thing we'll be long gone before this bridge gets rebuilt! We've been wanting out of this city for a long time, and med school and better taxes are luring us out.

edwaleni

Quote from: Sapphuby on December 11, 2023, 06:39:03 PM
Yeah... riverside also happens to be one of my family's favorite eateries. Good thing we'll be long gone before this bridge gets rebuilt! We've been wanting out of this city for a long time, and med school and better taxes are luring us out.

But your high school football team made the IHSA playoffs for the first time ever this year.

michiganguy123

Why does Illinois have tolls on a short 5 mile stretch of i-80? I feel like the tolls need to be removed on i-80 and only start once i-294 splits off from i-80. My grandparents were charged nearly 100 dollars because they didn't know how to pay the tolls as they were all online! And because they had a PO-Box, they weren't receiving the bill in the mail, so they only found out when collections contacted them. All because of this 5 mile stretch that was used to get from West Michigan down to Mississippi.

wanderer2575

Quote from: michiganguy123 on February 23, 2024, 10:54:25 PM
Why does Illinois have tolls on a short 5 mile stretch of i-80? I feel like the tolls need to be removed on i-80 and only start once i-294 splits off from i-80. My grandparents were charged nearly 100 dollars because they didn't know how to pay the tolls as they were all online! And because they had a PO-Box, they weren't receiving the bill in the mail, so they only found out when collections contacted them. All because of this 5 mile stretch that was used to get from West Michigan down to Mississippi.

Because it's part of the Illinois Tollway, and was built and is maintained by the toll highway authority (ISTHA).

When you drive on a toll road, and you (a) don't pay while on the road, (b) don't receive a bill, and (c) don't make any effort to resolve the issue, then don't be surprised when the penalties hit.

Rick Powell

Ever since the IL Tollway got rid of the coin booths, there are only 2 ways to pay - by buying a Tollway IPass or other compatible transponder and having it read at each collection point, or by their somewhat cumbersome Pay-by-Plate website that is akin to filling out a tax form online. It would be great if the Tollway also adopted an automatic plate read/invoice generation system for users without an IPass like many other systems do. I guess it still wouldn't have helped the late fees if their bill was not properly delivered, but it would be more fair to occasional users, low income users, and basically all who don't have a transponder.

Brandon

Quote from: Rick Powell on February 24, 2024, 01:11:23 AM

Ever since the IL Tollway got rid of the coin booths, there are only 2 ways to pay - by buying a Tollway IPass or other compatible transponder and having it read at each collection point, or by their somewhat cumbersome Pay-by-Plate website that is akin to filling out a tax form online. It would be great if the Tollway also adopted an automatic plate read/invoice generation system for users without an IPass like many other systems do. I guess it still wouldn't have helped the late fees if their bill was not properly delivered, but it would be more fair to occasional users, low income users, and basically all who don't have a transponder.

You don't buy a transponder unless you're getting it at a Jewel.  If you get it directly from ISTHA, there was a deposit for the hard case transponder.  All you're doing is puting in money for prepaid tolls.

There are a lot of signs after a toll plaza telling them how long they have to pay and where.  Also, that stretch was built by the Illinois State Toll Highway Commission (now ISTHA) in 1958, before there was an I-80 connecting to it from the west.  The route for I-80 was built in 1966 and chosen so an additional road did not have to be plowed through the area.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ilpt4u

I assume ISTHA tolls can also be paid over the phone with ISTHA CSRs at the 800.UC.I.PASS number, but I admit I have never tried

ISTHA could put automated toll payment machines inside the Oases and let motorists pay that way, but would it be widely used in the age of smart phones, where the toll can be paid from your phone?

I-80 is clearly marked as a Tollway for its journey on the Southern Tri-State. Even with no cash booths anymore, a motorist can figure out how to contact the Tollway and make payment arrangements, or a motorist can exit before the tolled segment begins and take alternate routes, like US 6/159th St to the north or US 30/Lincoln Hwy to the south

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on February 24, 2024, 11:08:07 AM
I assume ISTHA tolls can also be paid over the phone with ISTHA CSRs at the 800.UC.I.PASS number, but I admit I have never tried

ISTHA could put automated toll payment machines inside the Oases and let motorists pay that way, but would it be widely used in the age of smart phones, where the toll can be paid from your phone?

I-80 is clearly marked as a Tollway for its journey on the Southern Tri-State. Even with no cash booths anymore, a motorist can figure out how to contact the Tollway and make payment arrangements, or a motorist can exit before the tolled segment begins and take alternate routes, like US 6/159th St to the north or US 30/Lincoln Hwy to the south

I had an uncle who did just that. He got off I-88 at Rock Falls onto US 30 and drove it across Illinois because he objected to cash pay as you go tolling.

Revive 755

But unless the signs have been updated since the last time the Streetview vehicle went through, there is nothing about it not taking cash.  IMHO there really should have been shall statement in the new MUTCD for signing toll facilities that don't allow payment at the time of use with cash or a credit card.

2 mile advance signing on EB I-80
I-80 EB at the Kedize Avenue exit

And technically some of the signing is not even up to 2009 MUTCD standards (no yellow toll indcator).

WB on I-80/I-84

edwaleni

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 24, 2024, 10:25:18 PM

But unless the signs have been updated since the last time the Streetview vehicle went through, there is nothing about it not taking cash.  IMHO there really should have been shall statement in the new MUTCD for signing toll facilities that don't allow payment at the time of use with cash or a credit card.

And technically some of the signing is not even up to 2009 MUTCD standards (no yellow toll indcator).

WB on I-80/I-84

Usually there is a big sign that says "Last Exit before Tollroad", but where do you put it? Torrence Ave? The 80/94 split forcing westbound traffic into the city?

I went back to look at INDOT signage going back to the 80-90 split and they are all local or just say "80 WEST" which is true for just a few more miles. 80 WEST doesn't come up again until 1 mile before the Calumet Ave exit (#1) on the Indiana side. And it does not say "Toll" anywhere.

Brandon

Quote from: edwaleni on February 25, 2024, 06:11:42 PM

WB on I-80/I-84

Usually there is a big sign that says "Last Exit before Tollroad", but where do you put it? Torrence Ave? The 80/94 split forcing westbound traffic into the city?

I went back to look at INDOT signage going back to the 80-90 split and they are all local or just say "80 WEST" which is true for just a few more miles. 80 WEST doesn't come up again until 1 mile before the Calumet Ave exit (#1) on the Indiana side. And it does not say "Toll" anywhere.

Last Exit Before Tollway for Torrance Avenue: https://maps.app.goo.gl/aQV3roWcxhr4syRT7

Indiana making note of the Tri-State Tollway before Kennedy Avenue: https://maps.app.goo.gl/2Qwi5oLtexHphS7P6

Just past the state line, in Illinois, marked with the older style "TOLLWAY" signage: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Y1y3RRAjL7XJNUXH7
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SSOWorld

You see this? You have to pay online (credit: Bill Burmaster - https://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/misc/tristate.html)

You will not get a bill!!!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

edwaleni

Quote from: Brandon on February 25, 2024, 06:49:02 PM
Quote from: edwaleni on February 25, 2024, 06:11:42 PM

WB on I-80/I-84

Last Exit Before Tollway for Torrance Avenue: https://maps.app.goo.gl/aQV3roWcxhr4syRT7

That sign at Torrence is a joke. I am watching the traffic around me, not for a sign like that and it doesnt follow the standards either.

The final sign should say "I-80 West  NO CASH TOLL, Must pay by plate online.

Revive 755

Quote from: SSOWorld on February 25, 2024, 08:38:20 PM

You see this? You have to pay online (credit: Bill Burmaster - https://www.billburmaster.com/rmsandw/illinois/misc/tristate.html)

For the tolled section of I-80 I don't recall seeing that type of sign before one enters the tollway.  Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing it for most of the other tollways where cash was previously accepted.  There should be something similar to the signing used for IL 390.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 25, 2024, 10:00:39 PM

For the tolled section of I-80 I don't recall seeing that type of sign before one enters the tollway.  Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing it for most of the other tollways where cash was previously accepted.  There should be something similar to the signing used for IL 390.
You're actually correct because I-80 exits.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Brandon

Quote from: Revive 755 on February 25, 2024, 10:00:39 PM

You mean, like this: https://maps.app.goo.gl/Ucv2RgUukNjtQxj8A

Or this: https://maps.app.goo.gl/dmTYNrF7by8tnFvGA

Or this, at the exit and plaza for I-80 westbound: https://maps.app.goo.gl/cn4dX1JqHAJCpi8G9

Those types of signs are all over the tollways.

Hobart

Quote from: Brandon on February 26, 2024, 08:26:39 AM

It would be of way more use if these signs appeared at the last free exit (Kedzie Avenue, shown here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/euzhyW6iS8i79mPM8). By the time you see the first "I-Pass or Pay Online" sign on I-80 westbound, you're already stuck getting onto the tollway, it's just your choice of which direction you'd like to go on the Tri-State. You can't even illegally U-turn across the median due to the barrier.

However, this would be an issue to take up with IDOT itself, rather than the ISTHA, because the Kedzie Avenue interchange is IDOT turf.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

edwaleni

Quote from: Hobart on February 26, 2024, 10:48:36 AM
Quote from: Brandon on February 26, 2024, 08:26:39 AM

It would be of way more use if these signs appeared at the last free exit (Kedzie Avenue, shown here: https://maps.app.goo.gl/euzhyW6iS8i79mPM8). By the time you see the first "I-Pass or Pay Online" sign on I-80 westbound, you're already stuck getting onto the tollway, it's just your choice of which direction you'd like to go on the Tri-State. You can't even illegally U-turn across the median due to the barrier.

However, this would be an issue to take up with IDOT itself, rather than the ISTHA, because the Kedzie Avenue interchange is IDOT turf.

I agree, this is a better way to do it.

User @Brandon shows a bunch of example signs (thank you) but most of them are *after* you are committed to the route, that is why the sign at Torrance is a total foobar.

The example sign at Kedzie going the other way is more indicative of what it should look like.

BTW, I am not picking on @Brandon, it would be interesting to see how many people are really missing the signage and passing through unaware.

My sister was in Chicago last year and she got caught in this as well. Her 2 brothers warned her to check online.

Her bill was some $76 when they finally caught up to her out of state plate.

On a side note, ISTHA must make a pretty good buck on those few miles of I-80.

vdeane

Given that bill by mail is the standard for people who don't have a transponder all around the country for AET, they really should specifically and explicitly say that they don't do that and that paying online is the ONLY option if you don't have a transponder.  Preferably BEFORE you commit to paying a toll.

And honestly, looking at the area, it seems like IDOT should have bought out that piece of I-80 from ISTHA, perhaps with federal support, so it could be free.  Would avoid this whole issue now and would have kept traffic from having to stop at a booth before just for a couple miles of remaining on the same, otherwise free, road.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SEWIGuy

Or...and hear me out here...perhaps do some research before you drive around Chicago and on its tollways if you are unfamiliar with the area and how the ISTHA works.

The idea that simply saying "pay online here" isn't good enough, but that you should specifically say that you shouldn't expect a bill via mail, is pretty ridiculous.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.