News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unnecessary Concurrencies, Name them..

Started by Avalanchez71, August 26, 2016, 03:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2016, 12:31:16 PM

How about this...have US 441 take all of FL 436 to Hoffner at FL 15 while giving current US 441 to Colonial a state road number. 

It is SR 500 already I think.  If its not 500 its something

LGMS428

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jwolfer on November 14, 2016, 12:06:56 AM

How about this...have US 441 take all of FL 436 to Hoffner at FL 15 while giving current US 441 to Colonial a state road number. 

LGMS428

It is, I couldn't think of what it was earlier....Ocala to Kissimmee I think?  I would imagine FDOT would want to keep that on US 441 since  X00 State Road numbers usually go with something multiplexed with a US Route or Interstate.  I-4 would be the another example I can think of off the top my head that has the hidden FL 400.  I guess FL 200 would be kind of in line with this except it isn't hidden as much aside from US 301. 

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 14, 2016, 12:14:02 AM

LGMS428

It is, I couldn't think of what it was earlier....Ocala to Kissimmee I think?  I would imagine FDOT would want to keep that on US 441 since  X00 State Road numbers usually go with something multiplexed with a US Route or Interstate.  I-4 would be the another example I can think of off the top my head that has the hidden FL 400.  I guess FL 200 would be kind of in line with this except it isn't hidden as much aside from US 301.

If anyone drives through a US441 construction site, you might be able to figure it out by looking at the sign detailing the project.  That's how I found out that I-10 was SR 8  :)
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: paulthemapguy on November 14, 2016, 02:27:31 PM

LGMS428

If anyone drives through a US441 construction site, you might be able to figure it out by looking at the sign detailing the project.  That's how I found out that I-10 was SR 8  :)

The state roads are actually a grid.  Even numbers start at the top and work downward.  The odds start on the coast and work west.  For the east/west roads the X0 even numbers are considered the major highways.  The diagonals usually get their first number from whatever X0 route they are south.  For example that's why you see almost all 5XXs south of Colonial/FL50 in Orlando.  Even the relinquished county routes tend to still abide by the grid.  The crappy thing is that you have some of place roads in the 100s down around Miami.  Might interest you to know that most of US 90 is actually FL 10. 

Edit:  Forgot something important; the x5 Florida Roads are usually the major north/south ones.  The reasons the Interstates and the Turnpike aren't X0 or X5 is due to the current system being from the 1945 renumbering.   For example I-95 is FL 9 while U.S. 1 is FL 5, a large part of US 441 is FL 15 while the Turnpike is FL 91, and US 90 is FL 10 while I-10 is FL 8.

jwolfer

LGMS428

X00 roads are diagonals... 100 from GA state line nw of Lake City to Flagler Beach.. 200 from Fernandina to Dunellon area.. 400 is i4.. 600 is US92..700 is a lot of US 98 in South FL..

Many x0, x5 and x00 roads are hidden under US routes

LGMS428

jwolfer

LGMS428

SR 500 is hidden under US 192 to Melbourne Beach

LGMS428

dzlsabe

Quote from: 1 on November 13, 2016, 05:46:49 PM
Quote from: dzlsabe on November 13, 2016, 05:18:34 PM
traffic (ie unnecessary concurrencies)

Congestion has nothing to do with how roads are signed.

Usually, but not always.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Why does Florida even have those hidden designations (such as FL 5) if they're never signed and they're concurrent with another route for their whole length?  Seems kind of silly to me.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 20160805 on November 15, 2016, 05:27:19 PM
Why does Florida even have those hidden designations (such as FL 5) if they're never signed and they're concurrent with another route for their whole length?  Seems kind of silly to me.

They're legislative route numbers, they actually form a grid.  Check out reply 178, I detailed how the system is plotted.

thenetwork

US-20 and OH-113 between Elyria and Lakewood (Cleveland), OH. 

Once in Elyria, US-20 and OH-113 briefly multiplex with OH-57/OH-301 in opposite directions before being out on their own -- only to intersect one more time in Bellevue.  (where OH-113 ends).

jwolfer

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 15, 2016, 09:01:35 PM
Quote from: 20160805 on November 15, 2016, 05:27:19 PM

They're legislative route numbers, they actually form a grid.  Check out reply 178, I detailed how the system is plotted.
Florida I do nont mind just because it forms a grid.. It makes my ADD self very happy..  They are not usually signed.. Unless a contractor mistake. But they are on traffic tickets and the "your tax dollars at work" type signs...

Now Georgia is another story... Just willy nilly no pattern that i can see.. And the horrible sign salads.. The worst in Folkston US 1/23/301 SR 4/15/23/121 all together.. Yes US 23 and SR 23 are different... when SR 23 goes toward S towards Macclenny there is an assembly that has US 1 and an erroneous SR23 shield

LGMS428

dzlsabe

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 13, 2016, 06:40:06 PM
Lemme guess. You could not stand the place mostly cuz of the traffic (ie unnecessary concurrencies)? Idling in bumper to bumper in your V8 MadMaxmobile Id bet were beating your bank account. Couldnt pass emissions? Where are the Plains of Silence?

Hell things could be worse, I could be driving something like...oh say a certain Swedish brand that was bastardized by badge engineering after it was swallowed up by a larger and much less quirky American corporate entity.  Diesel hasn't really haven't been my cup of tea either, not that I've ever dismissed it outright.  It just never seems like it will ever find a significant piece of the American market after all the missteps automakers made in the 70s and 80s.  It started to pick up steam in the market during the last gas crunch but VW sure screwed that up fudging the emissions controls to meet EPA requirements.

But hey don't take it too personally I didn't care much for Detroit either.  It was much more about the weather being unpleasant and having the option to get out of that part of the country more than anything else.  Traffic wasn't one of the factors in leaving the rust belt behind.  Horrible violent crime in both cites doesn't endear one to stay either....

Just an observation though, you seem hell bent of having a personal figurative fist fight with every member on the forum who doesn't agree with you.  I mean seriously, you keep writing all this stuff as though you want to persuade people to your opinion only to turn around and snap at everyone who doesn't.  What's the end game here?  Are you trying to convince people about your opinions or just piss them off more and more?  :eyebrow:  I'm honestly just curious at this point since some of your threads have taken an interesting twist lately.

Its not about YOUR "cup of tea". Diesel moves the world for the foreseeable future. Higher cetane fuel would make ALL those engines run even cleaner.
ILs mantra..the beatings will continue until the morale improves but Expect Delays is good too. Seems some are happy that Chicago/land remains miserable. Status quo is often asinine...Always feel free to use a dictionary as I tend to offend younger or more sensitive viewers. Thanx Pythagoras. :rofl:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 15, 2016, 11:57:54 PM
Lemme guess. You could not stand the place mostly cuz of the traffic (ie unnecessary concurrencies)? Idling in bumper to bumper in your V8 MadMaxmobile Id bet were beating your bank account. Couldnt pass emissions? Where are the Plains of Silence?

Hell things could be worse, I could be driving something like...oh say a certain Swedish brand that was bastardized by badge engineering after it was swallowed up by a larger and much less quirky American corporate entity.  Diesel hasn't really haven't been my cup of tea either, not that I've ever dismissed it outright.  It just never seems like it will ever find a significant piece of the American market after all the missteps automakers made in the 70s and 80s.  It started to pick up steam in the market during the last gas crunch but VW sure screwed that up fudging the emissions controls to meet EPA requirements.

But hey don't take it too personally I didn't care much for Detroit either.  It was much more about the weather being unpleasant and having the option to get out of that part of the country more than anything else.  Traffic wasn't one of the factors in leaving the rust belt behind.  Horrible violent crime in both cites doesn't endear one to stay either....

Just an observation though, you seem hell bent of having a personal figurative fist fight with every member on the forum who doesn't agree with you.  I mean seriously, you keep writing all this stuff as though you want to persuade people to your opinion only to turn around and snap at everyone who doesn't.  What's the end game here?  Are you trying to convince people about your opinions or just piss them off more and more?  :eyebrow:  I'm honestly just curious at this point since some of your threads have taken an interesting twist lately.

Its not about YOUR "cup of tea". Diesel moves the world for the foreseeable future.

Yeah in trucking, trains, and ships.  You were referring to cars and responded in kind.  None of those things have anything to do with your biodiesel 9-3 or my "supposed" wallet beating MadMaxMobile.

dzlsabe

That certain Swedish brand that was bastardized, sodomized, and made to walk the plank would be a whole nother topic which Im sure you would hate too.

Scanned this... https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17891.0 and it made my head hurt. Would agree that US autos were a sorry state of affairs in the 70s. 80s and 90s though.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dzlsabe on November 16, 2016, 12:10:08 AM
That certain Swedish brand that was bastardized, sodomized, and made to walk the plank would be a whole nother topic which Im sure you would hate too.

Not really:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17891.0

Feel free to add it to the list...  I'd say it more than qualifies with GM trying to take control in the late 1980s and ultimately succeeding circa 2000.  I'm pretty without rereading said thread that I caught some vintage Motorweek segments had a Saab or a Volvo.

Brian556

If you want to know the hidden designations in FL, just look at the FDOT County maps on their website

TXtoNJ

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 16, 2016, 12:02:35 AM
Quote from: dzlsabe on November 15, 2016, 11:57:54 PM

Its not about YOUR "cup of tea". Diesel moves the world for the foreseeable future.

Yeah in trucking, trains, and ships.  You were referring to cars and responded in kind.  None of those things have anything to do with your biodiesel 9-3 or my "supposed" wallet beating MadMaxMobile.

And two of those are diesel-electric too, which means that it's really electricity making the world go round. Capital expenditures into mainline electrification and high-efficiency capacitors and/or small, non-breeder nuclear reactors would change the diesel game for a long time.

fillup420

NC 194 runs concurrent with US 321/421 from about 6 miles west of Boone, through town, and 3 miles east of it. In my opinion, the part of 194 northeast of Boone could have its own route number, as it has no real connection to the part of 194 west of Boone.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

bing101

As mentioned in other threads US-50's west end is concurrent with I-305 in Sacramento,CA except locals only call I-305 as simply US-50. Also Business 80 should stop the concurrent designation with CA-51 given that its been nearly 4 decades that I-80 was resigned at beltline freeway and that's been upgraded in the past 5 years though.

sbeaver44

Quote from: dgolub on August 29, 2016, 07:19:23 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on August 28, 2016, 04:26:19 PM
The US 40/322 concurrency east of May's Landing is unnecessary.  Should just be US 40 since it's longer and 10 route.

This one might have something to do with the fact that you continue straight ahead to stay on US 322, but US 40 is the more major route, so it wouldn't make sense to truncate it to US 322.
I think this is for historical reasons, as US 322 is the old Lakes-to-Sea highway, and US 40 was transconintental.

gr8daynegb

Heading back into Wisconsin......US 141 south of Abrams either runs concurrent with I-41/US-41/Wis-29 to it's termination at I-43.  I'm old fashioned to wanting US 141 to go to Milwaukee as from long ago, but as it is most of the overlap is pointless IMHO
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

US 89

Any US highway in Georgia. </thread>  :-D

In all seriousness, my nomination for this thread is the weird SR-30 concurrencies in Utah. The state doesn't bother to sign them, and 30 doesn't really make sense as a unified route at this point. IMO, it should really be three separate routes.

skluth

Quote from: gr8daynegb on December 07, 2018, 04:24:30 PM
Heading back into Wisconsin......US 141 south of Abrams either runs concurrent with I-41/US-41/Wis-29 to it's termination at I-43.  I'm old fashioned to wanting US 141 to go to Milwaukee as from long ago, but as it is most of the overlap is pointless IMHO

Actually, US 141 runs alone in Green Bay along Velp from I/US-41 (I don't know which it is there) to Mather, then Dousman, across the Nitschke Bridge to Main at Monroe where it joins WI 29. It probably should be truncated at Abrams anyway.

Big John

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.