News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The proposed I-730 in Arkansas

Started by Revive 755, January 06, 2010, 05:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

Came across an old article via the google archive that indicates I-730 was being considered for the US 67 corridor in Arkansas instead of just a spur off US 67 to Jonesboro:
http://www.kait8.com/Global/story.asp?S=1176876&nav=0jshEXf7

Alex

Andy discovered a similar article back in 2003 and added a section for I-730 on the Interstate 30 guide.

Brandon

Seems rather long for a 3di to me.  I-42 or I-53 might be a better number than I-730, IMHO.  If I-53 is used instead, that could replace I-530 (another very long 3di) to Pine Bluff as well.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

shoptb1

Is there no longer any discussion about upgrading US-67 all the way from Little Rock to St Louis at interstate-grade?  There was discussion in the past about this section being an extension of I-30, although the numbering feathers would fly if that were suggested.  :)

Revive 755

I'm not sure whether the upgrades are permanently shelved or just delayed for many years until funding becomes available in Missouri.  See http://www.modot.org/southeast/projects/corridors/documents/67handout.pdf

fixed tags

mgk920

The chatter that I remember was having it become I-57.

Mike

Chris

Little Rock all the way to St. Louis? I always thought any Interstate-grade extension from Jonesboro would connect to the I-55/I-57 interchange near Sikeston. That way you connect both to St. Louis and Chicago, plus you don't need to construct so many new miles of freeway.

Revive 755

Quote from: Chris on January 08, 2010, 04:41:48 PM
Little Rock all the way to St. Louis? I always thought any Interstate-grade extension from Jonesboro would connect to the I-55/I-57 interchange near Sikeston. That way you connect both to St. Louis and Chicago, plus you don't need to construct so many new miles of freeway.

US 67 was planned to be upgraded to freeway from I-55 down to the Farmington, MO area regardless of any interstate plans, and has actually had much work done in the Farmington area replacing traffic lights with interchanges and only allowing right turns on to/off of the roadway.

I recall reading somewhere that the US 67/I-55 alignment was part of the shortest route from Mexico to Chicago, so there would be some motivation by Missouri and/or the towns on the corridor to develop it.

US71

The only connection from Jonesboro (besides I-555) will be back to US 67 by way of AR 226
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

shoptb1

US-67 is currently undergoing an upgrade to an expressway, albeit not currently a full controlled-access freeway in Missouri from Poplar Bluff to just south of Fredericktown. The ultimate desire is to have this corridor fully upgraded to a controlled-access freeway at some point in the future. In addition, MODOT has approved the design/location (http://modot.org/southeast/projects/corridors/DesignandLocationSouthofPoplarBluff.htm) for the US-67 improvements south of Poplar Bluff to the Arkansas state line.  Arkansas still has plenty of work to upgrade US-67 from Newport to the Missouri state line, but the section from Little Rock to Newport is already interstate-grade.

Some mileage figures that speak to the importance of this route --

Little Rock, AR to St. Louis, MO via existing US-67: 357 miles
Little Rock, AR to St. Louis, MO via I-40 and I-55: 406 miles
Little Rock, AR to St. Louis, MO via Jonesboro, AR: 396 miles

If an upgraded realignment of US-67 in Arkansas were to take a more direct route from Walnut Ridge to Corning (bypassing Pocahontas), you would probably shave off another 10 miles from this route as well.  You're talking about the savings of an hour's driving time between Arkansas/Texas/Mexico and St Louis/Chicago.

But most important of all, it would significantly reduce my driving time home from Columbus, Ohio to central Arkansas  :sombrero:

US71

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 08, 2010, 11:08:44 PM
Arkansas still has plenty of work to upgrade US-67 from Newport to the Missouri state line, but the section from Little Rock to Newport is already interstate-grade.

Actually, as of October, it's now interstate grade all the way to AR 226 west of Cash .
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

shoptb1

Quote from: US71 on January 08, 2010, 11:29:13 PM
Actually, as of October, it's now interstate grade all the way to AR 226 west of Cash .

Suhweet!  I didn't take US-67 this year to go home from the holidays, so I missed out on seeing that new section...!

Revive 755

Quote from: mgk920 on January 08, 2010, 04:27:48 PM
The chatter that I remember was having it become I-57.
Mike

I think whatever it becomes may depend on what happens in Mississippi.  See page 27/29 of http://www.tripnet.org/MississippiInterstateStudy062006.pdf (Link is also found on the AA Roads Mississippi I-755 guide).

Not that I would expect either possible route to see major progress by 2026.

shoptb1

Quote from: Revive 755 on January 09, 2010, 12:40:52 AM
I think whatever it becomes may depend on what happens in Mississippi.  See page 27/29 of http://www.tripnet.org/MississippiInterstateStudy062006.pdf (Link is also found on the AA Roads Mississippi I-755 guide).

I'm probably missing a connection here, but what does the progress on the US-67 corridor in Arkansas and Missouri have to do with Mississippi's long-term interstate plan? 

codyg1985

Quote from: shoptb1 on January 09, 2010, 08:49:14 AM
Quote from: Revive 755 on January 09, 2010, 12:40:52 AM

I'm probably missing a connection here, but what does the progress on the US-67 corridor in Arkansas and Missouri have to do with Mississippi's long-term interstate plan? 

That article refers to the proposed Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta freeway that, if constructed, could be an eastern extension of I-30 with a I-30/40 multiplex between Little Rock and Memphis. I have my doubts with that project because only Alabama seems interested in building its portion so Florence and Huntsville can benefit. Mississippi already has an expressway quality facility in US 72, and I'm not sure if Georgia is interested in building their portion either.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

shoptb1

Quote from: codyg1985 on January 09, 2010, 11:02:28 AM
That article refers to the proposed Memphis-Huntsville-Atlanta freeway that, if constructed, could be an eastern extension of I-30 with a I-30/40 multiplex between Little Rock and Memphis. I have my doubts with that project because only Alabama seems interested in building its portion so Florence and Huntsville can benefit. Mississippi already has an expressway quality facility in US 72, and I'm not sure if Georgia is interested in building their portion either.

Gotcha.  I missed that in the document...didn't know that MS was interested in using the I-30 designation (had only heard about North Carolina's desire...haha) Yeah, I'm having a hard time seeing Mississippi having the funds available to upgrade the existing US-72 four-lane facility to a limited-access, interstate-grade facility.  Of course, Missouri's in the same boat with their upgrades to US-67...not gonna be interstate-grade in the foreseeable future.  

Plus, that would give Memphis a TON of 2di's, wouldn't it?  I-40, I-55, I-69, I-22, and then I-30?   :hmmm:

froggie

Mississippi's not that interested in an Interstate-grade facility along US 72.  They're more interested in I-69, and upgrading US 49 between Jackson and Gulfport to an Interstate-grade facility.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.