Shoulder rumble strips on urban freeways - which states?

Started by Pink Jazz, January 05, 2015, 08:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pink Jazz

While shoulder rumble strips have historically been installed on rural freeways, I think some states are now adding them to select urban freeways as well (especially those with high amounts of run off the road crashes), since there have been studies that they can be just as effective on urban freeways as they are on rural freeways.  Historically most states did not use them on urban freeways due to the issue of noise complaints especially at night.

I would like to know, does anyone know examples of such states that have shoulder rumble strips on select urban highways?  On which highways?

Brandon

Illinois has them on both the urban tollways and freeways.  Indiana also uses them on the Borman Expressway (I-80/94).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

cl94

Quote from: Pink Jazz on January 05, 2015, 08:48:43 PM
While shoulder rumble strips have historically been installed on rural freeways, I think some states are now adding them to select urban freeways as well (especially those with high amounts of run off the road crashes), since there have been studies that they can be just as effective on urban freeways as they are on rural freeways.  Historically most states did not use them on urban freeways due to the issue of noise complaints especially at night.

I would like to know, does anyone know examples of such states that have shoulder rumble strips on select urban highways?  On which highways?

ODOT uses them in Columbus on I-70 east of I-71.

NYSTA puts rumble strips everywhere, including on ramps and along I-190 in Buffalo and I-87 in Yonkers, yet NYSDOT tends to restrict them to less-developed sections of cities, suburban and rural areas. This is especially notable along I-87 in the Bronx at the change in jurisdiction between NYSDOT and NYSTA (only the latter has rumble strips). However, sections of the NYSDOT-maintained Bruckner, Throgs Neck and Cross Bronx Expressways feature rumble strips in the SE Bronx (east of the Hutch/I-678)
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

mhh

Rumble strips have been installed on some of the more recently resurfaced freeways in the Detroit area.

roadman

Massachusetts provides shoulder rumble strips on all freeways, both in urban and rural areas.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

jeffandnicole

NJ has them on all freeway/highways, both urban & rural.

They have them on the shoulders on some non-limited access roads as well.  And they are now adding center-strip rumble strips also.

roadman

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 06, 2015, 11:32:27 AM
NJ has them on all freeway/highways, both urban & rural.

They have them on the shoulders on some non-limited access roads as well.  And they are now adding center-strip rumble strips also.
Massachusetts has center rumble strips on certain super twos that have had a high rate of heard-on crashes
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

ekt8750

Pennsylvania has them on most freeways and are adding them to surface roads as well. Where I live most of the SRs have them on the median.

US81

Texas has them in many areas: most freeways, some highways, even some FM/RM two-lane roads. I don't recall having found any in the center median, but there are a lot of highways that I would recommend. Nothing like two-way traffic at 65 or 70 mph separated by nothing but a double yellow line.

jeffandnicole

For states that use rumble strips on the center line, do they just use them on double-line (no passing) zones, or in both passing/non-passing zones? 

NJ is using them in both passing and non-passing zones.

Brandon

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 06, 2015, 01:09:45 PM
For states that use rumble strips on the center line, do they just use them on double-line (no passing) zones, or in both passing/non-passing zones? 

Likewise in Illinois and Michigan, both passing ans no-passing zones.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Pink Jazz

Arizona also uses centerline rumble strips for both passing and no passing zones as well.

ekt8750

In PA just no passing from what I've seen but they do use them in the center left turn lanes. I guess that makes sense as well.

jakeroot

They're a "matter of policy" in Washington State, meaning that urban freeways can have them, but only if it's proven to be worth the money. For example, on our freeways with Ontario tall walls/Jersey barriers in the center and noise walls on the shoulder, there's no point, since there's no risk of running off the road. But in places like Puyallup (basically urban), along WA-512, where only grass and an occasional guardrail separates traffic flow, the inside shoulder has rumble strips (though weirdly, the unprotected outer shoulder has nothing, despite large embankments along most of the route -- I assume the "matter of policy" approach has dictated that the lack of crashes from people leaving the roadway towards the outer edge means that putting them in along the shoulder would be a waste of money).

cl94

Where NY uses centerline rumble strips, they're in passing zones as well.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

roadfro

Nevada does not use rumble strips on urban freeways.

This is delving from urban freeways topic... But Nevada uses both edge and center lines on most rural highways that see any appreciable amount of traffic. The rumble stripes are continuous through the safety zone and only stop at intersections or driveways. Nevada now puts center and edge rumble strips directly under the paint stripe.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

UCFKnights

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.