News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unusual businesses on logo signs

Started by Pink Jazz, November 25, 2018, 05:02:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mapman1071

Quote from: SP Cook on December 26, 2018, 01:05:56 PM
I find these around WV to be odd:

- I-64, Exit 34 lists "Quilts by Phyllis", a local store selling, umm, quilts, perhaps as many as one a month, as an "attraction". 

- Both exits for White Sulphur Springs list The Greenbrier, a four star mega-expensive resort, as "lodging".  It in not like a traveler looking for a motel is going to say, yeah, $400.night for a room in the middle of nowhere WV, sure.
The Greenbrier has a museum and one of the Decommissioned Goverment Bunkers

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadman on December 27, 2018, 10:42:33 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on December 26, 2018, 12:50:16 PM

Probably because a lack of space on the Food and Lodging signs at the MA 139 exit farther north on MA 24, the 'Attractions' sign southbound includes a Wendy's logo and one for Courtyard by Marriott:
https://goo.gl/maps/pho49UPdXw12

I don't know if the town of Stoughton likes that a fast food restaurant or hotel are featured as 2 of the town's attractions.

The southbound Attractions sign in Stoughton was installed in the late 1990s as part of a FHWA pilot program.  This was before the Attractions category was officially adopted into the MUTCD (Massachusetts was one of the participating states).  Under this pilot program, certain businesses that would normally appear on regular service signs could be posted on Attractions signs if there were spacing or other constraints that precluded installing the full complement of service signs.  However, when this sign comes due for renewal, it will likely be replaced with a 'triple' sign panel similar to the LOGO sign on Route 3 south at Exit 5 in Plymouth.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 26, 2018, 07:05:35 PM
Attraction signs have always been weird to me. Travelers normally plan these things out beforehand. Also, what counts as an "attraction"?

From Section 2J.01 of the MUTCD:

QuoteThe attraction services shall include only facilities which have the primary purpose of providing
amusement, historical, cultural, or leisure activities to the public.

To qualify for an ATTRACTION logo sign panel, a facility should have:
1. Regional significance, in compliance with the provisions of Paragraph 6; and
2. Adequate parking accommodations.

The problem many states have with Attractions signs is the term "regional significance", which is subject to broad interpretation and can open up the program to applicants who really shouldn't be on the sign but aren't denied due to Warrant #12 (political).
I saw golf courses listed earlier in this thread. Are they significant?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ErmineNotyours

Here's a business that got its logo on a regulatory sign.  Too bad it's out of business.

Private business on regulatory sign by Arthur Allen, on Flickr

Bruce

Quote from: US 89 on November 25, 2018, 07:52:18 PM
Those in Washington also enjoy their wine:

The wine countries of Wenatchee, Yakima, and Walla Walla are well known and often compared to their counterparts in California. Tons of vineyards and wineries all around I-82 and US 12.

US71

Bentonville, AR  has the Wal-Mart Museum on a sign.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

ipeters61

Quote from: US71 on December 29, 2018, 08:45:16 AM
Hey!  That's a very important attraction!  :-P
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

US71

Quote from: ipeters61 on December 30, 2018, 10:32:41 AM
Quote from: US71 on December 29, 2018, 08:45:16 AM
Hey!  That's a very important attraction!  :-P

Yeah, it's at the bottom of my bucket list.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

CoreySamson

Bumping this thread for this:

SH 288 approaching FM 2004
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.07886,-95.4527153,3a,75y,203.9h,80.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFK-LaMlmQoOzlY9zGzaUTg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Target somehow got listed on the food section of the sign. I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store on one of these signs. BTW, this sign went up within the last year or so.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ErmineNotyours

Safeway on a Food logo sign.  The Safeway is actually a mile away from the interchange, while there is a Winco right at the end of it.

deathtopumpkins

Quote from: CoreySamson on April 13, 2020, 02:47:11 PM
Bumping this thread for this:

SH 288 approaching FM 2004
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.07886,-95.4527153,3a,75y,203.9h,80.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sFK-LaMlmQoOzlY9zGzaUTg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Target somehow got listed on the food section of the sign. I don't think I've ever seen a grocery store on one of these signs. BTW, this sign went up within the last year or so.

It's so new it's not shown on streetview imagery yet (and I'm too lazy to pull a shot off my dashcam), but Target is listed on a food sign for I-93 exit 10 in Hooksett, NH. Interestingly the attractions sign for this exit also includes Bass Pro Shops - which seems questionable to me.

Elsewhere, I've seen Whole Foods listed on food signs, which I'd like to see more of given the wide selection of prepared foods.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

thenetwork

Ive seen Costco on a Food sign in Colorado.  Now that a membership card is required for their food court, I wonder how long that sign will remain?

wanderer2575

Quote from: thenetwork on April 14, 2020, 11:30:53 AM
Ive seen Costco on a Food sign in Colorado.  Now that a membership card is required for their food court, I wonder how long that sign will remain?

As long as that Costco location continues paying the annual participation fee, would be my guess.

ErmineNotyours

I guess putting a car dealer on a service sign makes sense if you have mechanical issues.  According to Psycho, you could even quickly trade in a car and be on your way.  Strange that there are mixed category services here, but cities act on their own rules.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.