News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Signs With Design Errors

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, June 29, 2012, 08:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

I am one who was also briefly fooled by the Minnesota state route shield being an interstate shield from a distance when I made my first trek along I-94 into Minnesota back in 1992.

Yes, the top part of the shield is yellow, but there are many interstate shields in the wild where the red crown has faded to a white, or yellowish-white color, so IMHO, the MN shields could be mistaken for interstate shields -- or Autoroute shields in Quebec, if you want to really be anal.  :bigass:

Quillz

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on July 24, 2018, 09:51:47 AM
Quote from: Quillz on July 23, 2018, 11:29:44 AM
Can't get a good pic of it right now, but on CA-1 just beyond the California Incline, is a sign featuring a white miner spade. Not only have these not been used since 1964, but this particular stretch of CA-1 wasn't even signed as such until after 1964/white miner spade era.

You mean this?
That's it.

mrsman

Quote from: Quillz on July 27, 2018, 11:29:01 AM
Can't get a good pic of it right now, but on CA-1 just beyond the California Incline, is a sign featuring a white miner spade. Not only have these not been used since 1964, but this particular stretch of CA-1 wasn't even signed as such until after 1964/white miner spade era.

You mean this?
That's it.

Not meant to be reminiscent of the miner spade era.  It is reflective of the laziness of the sign department in not putting in the green coloring as they are supposed to.

jakeroot

Quote from: mrsman on August 21, 2018, 11:09:14 AM

You mean this?
That's it.

Not meant to be reminiscent of the miner spade era.  It is reflective of the laziness of the sign department in not putting in the green coloring as they are supposed to.

I didn't realize the CA miner spade was supposed to have a green background. I thought it was supposed to be variable, depending on the context.

Here in WA, while there is no border with background in the CA sense (it's just a shape), the numbers change in color. Almost always black-on-white, but sometimes white-on-black, sometimes orange-on-black, sometimes green-on-white. Depends on the sign in which the shield is on.

paulthemapguy

Lol.  This Sioux chief is falling backwards down a hill.

IMG_4498 by Paul Drives, on Flickr
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

plain

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 23, 2018, 10:14:25 PM

Looks almost like the ghosts from the Ducktales game on NES

SM-S820L

Newark born, Richmond bred

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: plain on August 25, 2018, 11:32:51 AM

Looks almost like the ghosts from the Ducktales game on NES

SM-S820L

Good game, I still haven't completed a $0 dollar run. 

mrsman

Quote from: jakeroot on August 22, 2018, 04:30:48 PM
Quote from: mrsman on August 21, 2018, 11:09:14 AM

You mean this?
That’s it.

I didn't realize the CA miner spade was supposed to have a green background. I thought it was supposed to be variable, depending on the context.

Here in WA, while there is no border with background in the CA sense (it's just a shape), the numbers change in color. Almost always black-on-white, but sometimes white-on-black, sometimes orange-on-black, sometimes green-on-white. Depends on the sign in which the shield is on.

1964 was a seminal year in CA.  Not only did many highways get renumbered (the great renumbering) in order to accommodate the new interstate highways and to ensure that there was only one highway of any type having the same number, but there were also many truncations of US routes and a reorganization of the look of the different shields.

So pre-1964 the state highway was a white miner spade with a bear on top and the words state highway on the bottom, the post-1964 highway spade was entirely in green.  This is the rule for posting of the shields on the side of the road.

For shields on BGSes, for a long time, CA practice was to produce the outline of the US shield and the miner shield on the BGS without filling in the rest.  This practice continued for a longer period for the state shields with the notion of saying, well the sign is green anyway, why should we fill it in. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1000271,-118.2478375,3a,75y,309.56h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqIh-WhetigeVqZZv1n6rxQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

But that has nothing to do with the sign that was posted in this thread.  The segment of CA-1 between Oxnard and Dana Point was known as ALT US 101 during the entire  pre-1964 period.  It was never signed with a white CA-1 shield.  When it became CA-1 it was signed with a green shield.  In fact, a relatively famous cover of Caltrans' magazine (California Highways and Public Works) highlighting the great renumbering shows Caltrans workers replacing the ALT US 101 shield with a green CA-1 shield.

Here is a good article about CA's state highway shield, with a picture of that cover:

https://www.kcet.org/shows/lost-la/what-does-californias-state-highway-shield-symbolize

paulthemapguy

Oops.  Those arrows are pointing the wrong way.

WA-I-205X09NAZ by Paul Drives, on Flickr

thenetwork

Quote from: paulthemapguy on August 30, 2018, 04:08:44 PM

Not to mention from that angle, the arrows look to be pointing to the #2 and #3 lanes.

jakeroot

Weird to see dancing arrows in Washington. There are very few that I know of. Only a couple.

UCFKnights

Quote from: thenetwork on August 30, 2018, 11:25:42 PM

Not to mention from that angle, the arrows look to be pointing to the #2 and #3 lanes.
To me it looks like the sign wasn't cantilevered out enough. If they were straight down (likely how it was originally printed), it'd be pointing to the shoulder and lane 1. Instead of fixing the sign placement it looks like they angled the arrows, which looks terrible.

mrcmc888

Looks like a Rorshach test to me

SSR_317

Quote from: UCFKnights on September 02, 2018, 11:32:06 AM

To me it looks like the sign wasn't cantilevered out enough. If they were straight down (likely how it was originally printed), it'd be pointing to the shoulder and lane 1. Instead of fixing the sign placement it looks like they angled the arrows, which looks terrible.
Hate to to have point out the obvious, but if the arrow was truly pointing to Lane 1 the entire sign would likely have to be located on the LEFT side of the road. I believe you meant to say, "If the arrows were straight down... they would be pointing to lane 4 and the outside shoulder."

Eth

Leave it to Hollywood* to overdo it with the special effects and break out the italics on this speed limit sign.

* Florida

SignBridge

SSR_317, it depends how you number the lanes. Some states like California number from left-to-right, some others from right-to-left.

paulthemapguy

Now that I take a second look at it, I think these signs were retrofitted with a different type of arrow during a construction project, but they forgot to take the retrofit arrows off to restore the sign to its original state once the project was completed.

formulanone

Quote from: Eth on September 03, 2018, 01:31:37 PM
Leave it to Hollywood* to overdo it with the special effects and break out the italics on this speed limit sign.

* Florida

Heh, I've been meaning to post that for about four years, but couldn't remember where in Florida I'd seen it.

Somewhere on US 1 north of the Young Circle?

Eth

Quote from: formulanone on September 04, 2018, 07:29:25 AM
Heh, I've been meaning to post that for about four years, but couldn't remember where in Florida I'd seen it.

Somewhere on US 1 north of the Young Circle?

Very close – about six blocks south of Young Circle.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: SignBridge on September 03, 2018, 08:19:12 PM
SSR_317, it depends how you number the lanes. Some states like California number from left-to-right, some others from right-to-left.

And some don't number them at all.

roadfro

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 04, 2018, 08:36:16 AM
Quote from: SignBridge on September 03, 2018, 08:19:12 PM

And some don't number them at all.

Lane numbers advertised to the public are rare, so it's hard to say how a state would number the lanes. But I'm fairly certain the common practice among traffic engineers when referencing lanes on a roadway is to refer to the left lane as #1 and increase numbers to the right.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

formulanone

Quote from: ThatTenneseeRoadgeek on March 23, 2019, 04:58:10 PM
Well, I don't know what to say. (Fort Lauderdale, FL.) https://www.google.com/maps/@26.188459,-80.1537554,3a,15y,280.72h,102.43t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW0woYoMOdS6rwKGoMpX3BA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

There's a similar one on Sunrise Boulevard (FL 838) at the Turnpike, as well.

The Florida's Turnpike shield must have at least a dozen variations.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ThatTenneseeRoadgeek

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.