News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmacswimmer

Well, this is certainly a wild way to attempt to evade tolls:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-mdpa/pr/two-men-charged-scheme-defraud-pa-turnpike-million-dollars-tolls

HARRISBURG - The United States Attorney's Office for the Middle District of Pennsylvania announced that Duvany Zambrano, age 43, of Hamilton, New Jersey, and Sergio Jara, age 37, of Allentown, Pennsylvania, were indicted on January 4, 2023, by a federal grand jury for defrauding the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission.

According to United States Attorney Gerard M. Karam, the indictment alleges that beginning in 2018, Zambrano, Jara and others began acquiring thousands of E-Z Pass transponders from retailers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  They then registered the transponders using false personal information and false credit card information.  They sold the transponders to truckers in the New Jersey area who travelled on the Pennsylvania Turnpike hauling materials. In doing so, the indictment alleges that Zambrano, Jara, and others avoided paying approximately $1,000,000 in tolls.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Mr_Northside

I'm wondering what is meant by "false credit card information".....   Was it a product of ID theft - like they were real credit card accounts and the proper owners had to cancel them when they notified the card company they did not, in fact, buy EZ-Passes at Joe Retailer location?

Or were they somehow able to buy EZ-Passes with completely made-up credit card info (IE, non-existent accounts)?
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

vdeane

^ When you buy at a retail location, you're just paying for the tag itself and a pre-loaded amount... no account is established until later.  There's no requirement that the credit card used for automatic replenishment match whatever was used to buy the tag (honestly, it might even be possible to pay cash, especially as there are now places that allow one to load cash onto an E-ZPass account).  I don't know how how PA and NJ do it, but in NY, the software used for the online account management is clearly antiquated, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's no attempt made to verify card information until the first time it tries to replenish the account.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

seicer

I don't recall that happening as I had a card expire before replenishment but after I bought a tag at a retail store. Their website is as bad as the one from the West Virginia Turnpike: not mobile friendly and confusing to walk through.

MASTERNC

Sounds like a PA state representative wants the PTC to join the transponder discrimination game because he thinks the Toll by Plate rates are too high.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/across-pa/pa-turnpikes-massive-tolling-increases-must-be-stopped-lawmakers

jeffandnicole

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 30, 2023, 04:23:40 PM
Sounds like a PA state representative wants the PTC to join the transponder discrimination game because he thinks the Toll by Plate rates are too high.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/across-pa/pa-turnpikes-massive-tolling-increases-must-be-stopped-lawmakers

This bill, as stated in the article, doesn't require the cash price to drop.  It doesn't encourage residents to get an EZ Pass either.  The theory, I'm guessing, is the if they raise the cost of a trip to out-of-state tag holders, the cash price will drop, which I will believe isn't going to actually happen.

MASTERNC

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 30, 2023, 07:26:54 PM

This bill, as stated in the article, doesn't require the cash price to drop.  It doesn't encourage residents to get an EZ Pass either.  The theory, I'm guessing, is the if they raise the cost of a trip to out-of-state tag holders, the cash price will drop, which I will believe isn't going to actually happen.

Maybe they should instead eliminate the annual and retailer convenience fees for an E-ZPass (the latter of which seems unique to PA) and offer something akin to New York's pay-per-trip option.

sbeaver44

I hate transponder discrimination.  To me, this is the antithesis of the entire EZPass idea.  It's a consortium.  I have a PTC-issued EZPass.  It drives me insane when I go to Long Island and have to pay the toll-by-mail rate.

Even if you want to make the argument that it's a "outside agency toll" , I would guess those are settled in large batches like an ACH between agencies.  Charge me the EZPass rate and add a 3% or 25 cent charge.  None of this "well if your EZPass was issued by NY it would be $6 but for you it's $10.17"  bs.  New York is not mailing me a bill and hoping they collect, which I imagine is the justification for the massive spread between the in state EZPass rate and the toll-by-mail rate.  EZPass is like a 99% guaranteed collection rate for them. 

If I lived in Ohio and had to drive to Philadelphia with an Ohio Tpk EZPass and had to pay the $80 or whatever made up number is the toll-by-plate rate to Valley Forge nowadays, I'd be livid.

Also, I wish the PTC would either reduce the $1.80 minimum EZPass toll, or make a "frequent commuter"  plan.  I remember NY Thruway years back charged me 19 cents to go from Rt 332 to I-490, so there is no reason $1.80 needs to be the minimum.  But I'm also sure the PTC knows that $1.80 for the 5 miles between Harrisburg West and Harrisburg East is a gold mine for them.

A great way to reduce congestion on I-83 in Harrisburg would be some sort of incentive plan to divert through traffic via the I-76 bridge and I-283 North back to the Eisenhower.  Maybe something like a 20 trip plan at 25% discounted average trip cost vs single trip. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 03, 2023, 08:19:52 PM
Also, I wish the PTC would either reduce the $1.80 minimum EZPass toll, or make a "frequent commuter"  plan.  I remember NY Thruway years back charged me 19 cents to go from Rt 332 to I-490, so there is no reason $1.80 needs to be the minimum.  But I'm also sure the PTC knows that $1.80 for the 5 miles between Harrisburg West and Harrisburg East is a gold mine for them.

Not for nothing, but have you driven the Thruway lately?  The Thruway has more potholes than an unkept dirt road.  The PA Turnpike is quite smooth.

ARMOURERERIC

I drove the Thruway from 290 to Irving in July, road was crap.  Got my pay by plate bill for 2 crossing on 190 and the Truway toll, $5.90 including the $2.00 bill fee.  Frankly, way to low for the benefit I got in return.

sbeaver44

I have not been on the Thruway since 2020.  That is true though, the PA Turnpike is well kept, especially the newer 3 lane sections.  Even the service plazas are well kept.  I love the Turnpike, it just adds up.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: MASTERNC on October 07, 2022, 09:04:37 AM
Pretty long detour this weekend on the NE Extension

Pennsylvania Turnpike Plans Weekend Closure between Lehigh Valley and Mahoning Valley Interchanges

On Google Earth, their satellite happened to fly over the Lehigh Valley the weekend this bridge replacement happened. There's also plenty of backups at the Lehigh Valley interchange (where fast-tracked repaving of the closed trumpet ramps were occurring) but almost none at Mahoning Valley.

Link to Wiki's GeoHack site for direct coordinate links to GE, you may need to hit the historical imagery button and set it all the way to present day: https://geohack.toolforge.org/geohack.php?params=40.619642_N_75.577334_W

ARMOURERERIC

Mainline reconstruction from MP 312 to 316 was bid yesterday.

Flyer78

The Turnpike Authority posted a video on their Facebook account showing renovations at the Eastbound Tuscarora Tunnel ... looks quite bright. Also of note are traffic signals before entering the tunnel, as well as lane control signals throughout, not just at the entrance. There also appears to be supports for additional signage at the portal, but maybe that was for construction phase.

https://fb.watch/iLNcpAbmXb/

(Based on a quick check on incognito mode, a FB account should not be needed to view.)

PurdueBill

Quote from: sbeaver44 on February 03, 2023, 08:19:52 PM

I hate transponder discrimination.  To me, this is the antithesis of the entire EZPass idea.  It's a consortium.  I have a PTC-issued EZPass.  It drives me insane when I go to Long Island and have to pay the toll-by-mail rate.

Even if you want to make the argument that it's a "outside agency toll" , I would guess those are settled in large batches like an ACH between agencies.  Charge me the EZPass rate and add a 3% or 25 cent charge.  None of this "well if your EZPass was issued by NY it would be $6 but for you it's $10.17"  bs.  New York is not mailing me a bill and hoping they collect, which I imagine is the justification for the massive spread between the in state EZPass rate and the toll-by-mail rate.  EZPass is like a 99% guaranteed collection rate for them. 

If I lived in Ohio and had to drive to Philadelphia with an Ohio Tpk EZPass and had to pay the $80 or whatever made up number is the toll-by-plate rate to Valley Forge nowadays, I'd be livid.

A great way to reduce congestion on I-83 in Harrisburg would be some sort of incentive plan to divert through traffic via the I-76 bridge and I-283 North back to the Eisenhower.  Maybe something like a 20 trip plan at 25% discounted average trip cost vs single trip. 

If the pay by plate rate and the non-local E-ZPass rate are exactly the same, screw it.  I'll take down my E-ZPass and make them do the work to bill me.  Maybe they won't get around to it. 

Originally, E-ZPass was supposed to make things easier for the motorists.  It's now a profit center, saving the toll agencies money but not the motorists. 

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PurdueBill on February 19, 2023, 06:48:59 PM
If the pay by plate rate and the non-local E-ZPass rate are exactly the same, screw it.  I'll take down my E-ZPass and make them do the work to bill me.  Maybe they won't get around to it. 

Originally, E-ZPass was supposed to make things easier for the motorists.  It's now a profit center, saving the toll agencies money but not the motorists. 

Early on, the discounts were to incentivize people to get an EZ Pass.  We're well past that stage now.  When motorists have a choice between cash and EZ Pass, many toll roads show roughly 90% use EZ Pass. Very few of them will go back to paying cash when EZ Pass is vastly easier and faster. 

With toll agencies going all-electronic, you may get away with an agency not coming after you for a single toll occurrence, but it's likely they will; almost guaranteed if you have multiple transactions with them.  And then in exchange for the delay in paying the toll with EZ Pass, they'll tack on an administrative fee.

Some people may say the time value of money benefits them if they keep the money in their bank account, but that really only applies if you're earning interest on that money. 

vdeane

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2023, 11:48:31 PM
Early on, the discounts were to incentivize people to get an EZ Pass.  We're well past that stage now.  When motorists have a choice between cash and EZ Pass, many toll roads show roughly 90% use EZ Pass. Very few of them will go back to paying cash when EZ Pass is vastly easier and faster.
I thought the discounts were to pass along the savings from E-ZPass being a cheaper means of collecting the toll?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

storm2k

Quote from: vdeane on February 20, 2023, 02:22:13 PM
I thought the discounts were to pass along the savings from E-ZPass being a cheaper means of collecting the toll?

That's supposed to be the idea, but hitting out of staters with higher tolls is a very easy way to bring in more money without angering locals.

thenetwork

Quote from: storm2k on February 20, 2023, 07:18:27 PM

That's supposed to be the idea, but hitting out of staters with higher tolls is a very easy way to bring in more money without angering locals.

...yet they still raise ALL tolls annually.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thenetwork on February 20, 2023, 08:05:32 PM

What products avoid inflation and get cheaper with time?

MASTERNC

Basically "taxation without representation"

PurdueBill

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 20, 2023, 08:56:47 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on February 20, 2023, 08:05:32 PM

What products avoid inflation and get cheaper with time?

When the price of bread goes up in Meijer or Kroger, though, they don't charge locals one price and out-of-towners another....it's the same price for all-whether paying with gift card, credit card, bottle slip, or cash.

tckma

Quote from: sbeaver44I hate transponder discrimination.  To me, this is the antithesis of the entire EZPass idea.  It's a consortium.  I have a PTC-issued EZPass.  It drives me insane when I go to Long Island and have to pay the toll-by-mail rate.

This is why for a while, I had a Maryland-issued EZPass AND a New Jersey-issued EZPass:  I was going back and forth between Philly and Maryland, and also using the bridges between Philly and South Jersey a bunch, so I wanted both the Hatem Bridge unlimited crossing plan AND the DRPA frequent user discount (which I've to this day never hit like I anticipated I might).

The other stupidity is the monthly fees.  For YEARS living in Maryland, I had a Massachusetts-issued EZPass tag, because in the early 2000s I lived in the Boston area (my tag still said "Fast Lane" until its battery died).  Mass didn't charge a monthly fee; Maryland did, and at the time I didn't use MD toll facilities enough to justify the in-state discount.  As soon as Gov. Hogan dropped the monthly fee, I cancelled my Mass EZPass and got a Maryland one.  Since MD charges a monthly fee for out-of-state addresses, I closed that account the instant I moved to PA. 

Now I just have my NJ EZPass tag, and the $1 monthly fee, though chump change, is infuriating, and less than the PTC's $3 monthly fee -- that's the only reason I have the NJ EZPass as opposed to a PTC one; because the monthly fee is cheaper.  Why some agencies charge monthly fees and some don't, and some are more than others, is also a mystery to me.

It pisses me off when I drive up to Connecticut to see family at the holidays, and have to pay the out-of-state toll rates at the Tappan Zee Bridge, GWB, et cetera.  Software makes it just as easy to collect from an out-of-state EZPass issuer than an in-state one.  New York State itself has several EZPass issuing agencies -- the NY Thruway authority, The PANYNJ, and MTA Bridges and Tunnels, to name three, and there may be more, so the in-state versus out-of-state rates make even LESS sense.

MASTERNC

Quote from: tckma on February 23, 2023, 11:22:09 AM
Quote from: sbeaver44I hate transponder discrimination.  To me, this is the antithesis of the entire EZPass idea.  It's a consortium.  I have a PTC-issued EZPass.  It drives me insane when I go to Long Island and have to pay the toll-by-mail rate.

This is why for a while, I had a Maryland-issued EZPass AND a New Jersey-issued EZPass:  I was going back and forth between Philly and Maryland, and also using the bridges between Philly and South Jersey a bunch, so I wanted both the Hatem Bridge unlimited crossing plan AND the DRPA frequent user discount (which I've to this day never hit like I anticipated I might).

The other stupidity is the monthly fees.  For YEARS living in Maryland, I had a Massachusetts-issued EZPass tag, because in the early 2000s I lived in the Boston area (my tag still said "Fast Lane" until its battery died).  Mass didn't charge a monthly fee; Maryland did, and at the time I didn't use MD toll facilities enough to justify the in-state discount.  As soon as Gov. Hogan dropped the monthly fee, I cancelled my Mass EZPass and got a Maryland one.  Since MD charges a monthly fee for out-of-state addresses, I closed that account the instant I moved to PA. 

Now I just have my NJ EZPass tag, and the $1 monthly fee, though chump change, is infuriating, and less than the PTC's $3 monthly fee -- that's the only reason I have the NJ EZPass as opposed to a PTC one; because the monthly fee is cheaper.  Why some agencies charge monthly fees and some don't, and some are more than others, is also a mystery to me.

It pisses me off when I drive up to Connecticut to see family at the holidays, and have to pay the out-of-state toll rates at the Tappan Zee Bridge, GWB, et cetera.  Software makes it just as easy to collect from an out-of-state EZPass issuer than an in-state one.  New York State itself has several EZPass issuing agencies -- the NY Thruway authority, The PANYNJ, and MTA Bridges and Tunnels, to name three, and there may be more, so the in-state versus out-of-state rates make even LESS sense.

I have three E-ZPasses - North Carolina (for the HOV tag), New York (had this originally when I bought a tag in Buffalo, now use in my wife's car and when we travel to NY), and Maryland (for the Hatem Bridge plan). 

I had a time when the Maryland tag was somehow being read through the read-proof bag and I was being charged on both E-ZPass accounts because the MD tag was invalid outside the Hatem Bridge (thereby they looked up my license plate and charged the other E-ZPass account).  Only after having the PA Turnpike investigate the issue did I discover this was happening, at which point I removed duplicate license plates and added foil wrap around the Maryland tag.

I can imagine this happening more often if people have to carry more passes to minimize the tolls they pay.  I was tempted to consolidate by adding a tag to my brother's MD account since he lives there, but decided against it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.