News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-90 rebuilding and widening

Started by bahnburner, September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahnburner

Can't seem to find any threads on here on this particular project, only the Elgin O'Hare extension...

http://www.illinoistollway.com/construction-and-planning/projects-by-roadway/jane-addams-memorial-tollway-i-90/eastern-segment

The new I-90 rebuilding and widening project overview as described by Illinois Tollway:

QuoteThe Illinois Tollway is rebuilding and widening the Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) as a 21st century, state-of-the-art corridor linking Rockford to O'Hare International Airport. The Jane Addams Memorial Tollway is part of Interstate 90, the longest interstate in the United States, and covers 77 miles extending from near the Wisconsin border to the Kennedy Expressway. The I-90 corridor from downtown Chicago to Rockford serves nearly one million travelers per day.

Since it was originally built in the 1950s, residential and commercial growth have strained parts of I-90 beyond its capacity, increasing delays and weakening economic activity. Although it has been repeatedly resurfaced and repaired, the pavement is near the end of its useful life.

In 2011, the Illinois Tollway Board of Directors approved the 15-year, $12 billion capital program, Move Illinois: The Illinois Tollway Driving the Future. The $2.5 billion Jane Addams Memorial Tollway (I-90) Rebuilding and Widening Project encompasses 62 miles and features six reconstructed and expanded lanes from Randall Road to I-39 near Rockford completed in 2014 and reconstruction and expansion to eight lanes from the Tri-State Tollway (I-294) to Randall Road in Elgin to be completed in 2016. The new I-90 will also feature significant improvements to seven interchanges and bus on shoulder service along the eastern segment in partnership with Pace. In addition, the new I-90 includes flexible infrastructure to enable the Tollway to add new "smart" features and future transit expansion for the first time in the agency's history.

I thought this tidbit in particular was interesting:

The total thickness of I-90 (the eastern section at least) will be 25"

QuoteThe new eastern segment will include a 9-inch aggregate base covered by 3 inches of asphalt and then 13 inches of new concrete pavement.

Anyone know how this compares to our existing Illinois tollways?

In comparison, the German Autobahn is typically 27" in total thickness of its roadbed and surface (http://www.german-autobahn.eu/index.asp?page=design). It sounds like it's going to be one of our best tollways, if not world class. There is no way this is going be posted at 55 mph, unless of course, you're IDOT/Illinois tollway :rolleyes:

Jardine

Keep in mind, there will be a

Be Prepared to Stop

sign every 2 miles on it forever.

bahnburner

For reference (although this is likely outdated from 1999), cross sections of the typical American Interstate and German Autobahn:

German Autobahn

American Interstate

Rick Powell

Quote from: bahnburner on September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM
Anyone know how this compares to our existing Illinois tollways?

(Though not a tollway) The Dan Ryan reconstruction completed in late 2008 had a total thickness of 44 inches.  14 or 15 inches of it was the concrete slab on top, and the rest of it was various thicknesses of sub-base.  It was an extended life design.  Of course, this is a road that sees 300k vehicles a day, distributed among its many express and local lanes, with a good percentage of truck traffic.

Our company is involved in the I-90 section from 294 to 53; I could find out what they are designing for that section.

Rick Powell

The section of American interstate highway in the above looks like something out of the 1950's original construction.  Much of the interstate system was built before modern pavement design research had matured...they had no idea of the beating these highways were going to take over the next 60 years from 20,000 lb. and greater axle loads and didn't have the physics of paving materials figured out.  Even the most lightly travelled interstates would have a minimum 22" or so thick pavement structure (including sub-base) if built new or rehabilitated today, with concrete, and thicker if asphalt is used.

Rothman

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 09, 2015, 12:39:51 AM
The section of American interstate highway in the above looks like something out of the 1950's original construction.  Much of the interstate system was built before modern pavement design research had matured...they had no idea of the beating these highways were going to take over the next 60 years from 20,000 lb. and greater axle loads and didn't have the physics of paving materials figured out.  Even the most lightly travelled interstates would have a minimum 22" or so thick pavement structure (including sub-base) if built new or rehabilitated today, with concrete, and thicker if asphalt is used.

^This.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dave069

Quote from: bahnburner on September 08, 2015, 10:46:23 PM

In comparison, the German Autobahn is typically 27" in total thickness of its roadbed and surface (http://www.german-autobahn.eu/index.asp?page=design). It sounds like it's going to be one of our best tollways, if not world class. There is no way this is going be posted at 55 mph, unless of course, you're IDOT/Illinois tollway :rolleyes:

Probably will be posted at 60 MPH for the most part, like most of the tollway system is now.

Joe The Dragon

Maybe I-290 to I-294 55 seeing how I-294 is 55 from there to I-55

Rick Powell

Quote from: Rick Powell on September 09, 2015, 12:26:03 AM
Our company is involved in the I-90 section from 294 to 53; I could find out what they are designing for that section.

Finally got around to looking on what is being put in on I-90.  There is a 14" continuous reinforced concrete pavement on top, followed by a 3" hot mix asphalt stabilized layer and a 12" aggregate base on the bottom.  The aggregate base is thicker in some locations where it is necessary to strengthen the base for weaker soils underneath.

dave069

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on October 20, 2015, 01:11:22 PM
Maybe I-290 to I-294 55 seeing how I-294 is 55 from there to I-55

Possibly, if the tollway thinks its too congested between I-290 and I-294 for 60. Then 60 between 290 and Randall Road.

Buffaboy

Quote from: Rothman on September 09, 2015, 08:44:46 AM
Quote from: Rick Powell on September 09, 2015, 12:39:51 AM

^This.

So how thin were they back-in-the-day?
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

Rick Powell

Quote from: Buffaboy on October 20, 2015, 08:54:46 PM
So how thin were they back-in-the-day?

The section of I-57 south of Kankakee in Iroquois County was 7" of continuously reinforced concrete, and I doubt there was more than 4 inches of sub-base underneath which was probably crushed gravel stabilized with asphalt cement (we called it BAM back then, it was a less dense form of hot mix).  Original construction of the mid 1960s. 

I-39

I can't wait for this project to be finished. Basically, once everything is done in 2016-17, the only things that will have to be done to the I-90 corridor is rebuild/reconfigure the I-290/IL-53 system interchange and rebuild/reconfigure the Randall Road interchange.

I heard construction may start in 2017 on the IL-23 interchange in Marengo.

ET21

I-90 is gonna be so nice from O'Hare to the state line
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

JREwing78

After punching overhead lighting all the way west to Rockford, it makes its absence on the stretch north to the state line all the more obvious.

I-39

Quote from: JREwing78 on October 26, 2015, 12:32:09 AM
After punching overhead lighting all the way west to Rockford, it makes its absence on the stretch north to the state line all the more obvious.

The whole section from the Cherry Valley Interchange to Rockton Road is terrible. The Tollway cut corners big time. They didn't use concrete with asphalt shoulders, they used hot-mix asphalt and it's already coming undone. They didn't rebuild most of the crossroad bridges (and mainline bridges) in that segment and there is no lighting in the medium, as you mentioned.

They are gonna have to redo that segment in about 15-20 years.

quickshade

The scope of this rebuild cannot be understated. I will say that this project has been well done and handle very effectively and I give a pat on the back to the Illinois Tollway for the way it has handled this project so far.

TXtoNJ

Certainly, they don't have 12 foot lanes on the Autobahn. I'd guess something more like 3.7 m lanes (correct me if I'm wrong).

Edit: Per this (http://www.german-autobahn.eu/index.asp?page=design) rural lanes are 3.75 m (12' 4") and urban lanes are 3.5 m (11' 6").

SSOWorld

The lights in the median are a little excessive...
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JREwing78

Quote from: I-39 on October 26, 2015, 10:04:19 AM
Quote from: JREwing78 on October 26, 2015, 12:32:09 AM

The whole section from the Cherry Valley Interchange to Rockton Road is terrible. The Tollway cut corners big time. They didn't use concrete with asphalt shoulders, they used hot-mix asphalt and it's already coming undone. They didn't rebuild most of the crossroad bridges (and mainline bridges) in that segment and there is no lighting in the medium, as you mentioned.

They are gonna have to redo that segment in about 15-20 years.

I seem to remember that they did an overlay of the existing concrete roadbed between Cherry Valley and Rockton, expanding the asphalt into the median to make the third lane. It was clearly not built to last as long as the work done east of Cherry Valley.

johndoe780

quickshade

Driving this yesterday I notice a few sections that aren't even fully prep'd to be graded and concrete pavement to be put down. I know June was kind of a washout with all the rain but any word from anyone (besides the tollway itself) on if this project is behind or not. With about 2-3 more weeks before the major winter shutdown I can't see them having us on the new outside lanes this year. I know the inside lanes will be easier and maybe the plan was to finish up the outside lanes in early spring and then shift traffic over because the inside lanes should be easier. If anyone has any info please share!

Revive 755

I"ve heard thirdhand that many sections of the eastern half widen/rebuild are behind schedule.  The Tollway has also delayed the letting date (as can be found here) a few time for the inner lanes on the segment between Roselle Road and I-290.

I-39

There indeed have been some delays, this tribune article states why.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-tollway-jane-addams-contracts-met-20150819-story.html

Since this reconstruction/widening is a LOT more extensive than what they did on I-88 and I-294, I'm sure there was a bigger possibility delays could come up. I anticipate when they rebuild the Central Tri-State, it will face challenges that could delay it too.

quickshade

Quote from: I-39 on November 21, 2015, 10:24:55 AM
There indeed have been some delays, this tribune article states why.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-tollway-jane-addams-contracts-met-20150819-story.html

Since this reconstruction/widening is a LOT more extensive than what they did on I-88 and I-294, I'm sure there was a bigger possibility delays could come up. I anticipate when they rebuild the Central Tri-State, it will face challenges that could delay it too.

Could you paste the story, pay wall.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.