News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Counties with no 4-way state highway intersections

Started by US 89, October 19, 2019, 01:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

What counties do you know of that have no 4-way intersections or freeway interchanges where each leg is at least a state route? We've had a thread on counties without traffic lights, so I'm curious how that list compares to this one.

I'll start with Utah: Beaver, Daggett, Duchesne, Garfield, Kane, Rich, Tooele, Uintah, Wasatch, Washington, and Wayne County do not have any 4-way state highway junctions, which is a lot more than the 6 Utah counties without a traffic light.

Max Rockatansky

Pretty sure none of the State Highway junctions in Alpine County, CA is four way. 

webny99

I believe Hamilton County, NY qualifies (correct me if I'm wrong). There are a number of state route junctions, but they're all three-way.

It's unlikely that any other NY counties qualify - pretty well every county besides Hamilton has one or more population centers with a bunch of state routes.

Mapmikey

Counties in Virginia that meet this criteria:

Bath
Buchanan
Craig
Cumberland
Dickenson
Essex
Fluvanna
Giles
Goochland
King and Queen
Lee
Lunenburg
Madison
Mathews
Middlesex
Northumberland
Powhatan
Russell
Scott
Surry
Westmoreland

Also the Independent Cities of Manassas Park and Radford

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

nexus73

Coos County OR has three way intersections with a state route involved but no 4-way intersections as defined by the OP. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

thspfc

Menominee County, WI
Florence County, WI
Vilas County, WI
Probably several counties in upper MI as well. St Louis County, MN has only one, and that's a county of 200k people.

bulldog1979

In the UP of Michigan:

• Alger
  • Baraga
  • Delta
  • Dickinson
  • Keweenaw
  • Iron
  • Marquette
  • Menominee
  • Schoolcraft
Houghton is an edge case. There is a four-way intersection with US 41 and M-203. The southern leg is US 41 southbound, the eastern leg is US 41 northbound, the northern leg has both directions of US 41, and the western leg is M-203. All other highway intersections in the county are three-way (or the fourth leg is not a state highway).

ilpt4u

Pulaski and Hardin Counties in Southern Illinois qualify, I think...

GaryV

Quote from: bulldog1979 on October 19, 2019, 08:57:17 PM
In the UP of Michigan:

• Alger
  • Baraga
  • Delta
  • Dickinson
  • Keweenaw
  • Iron
  • Marquette
  • Menominee
  • Schoolcraft
Houghton is an edge case. There is a four-way intersection with US 41 and M-203. The southern leg is US 41 southbound, the eastern leg is US 41 northbound, the northern leg has both directions of US 41, and the western leg is M-203. All other highway intersections in the county are three-way (or the fourth leg is not a state highway).
And in the Lower Peninsula:
Emmet
Charlevoix
Montmorency
Alpena
Leelanau
Benzie
Grand Traverse
Kalkaska
Oscoda
Alcona
Manistee
Missaukee
Mason
Lake
Oceana
Newago
Montcalm
Huron
Sanilac
Hillsdale

Much of this is due to the propensity of highways to join each other for a short distance.  For example, an E-W route might meet a N-S route, travel concurrently with it for a few miles (or even as little as a few blocks, as in the case of Jonesville in Hillsdale County) and then strike off on it's own again.  This results in 2 intersections with 3-way connections, but no 4-way connection.

CNGL-Leudimin

Alaska

Yes, I know it's a state, but there are no freaking 4-way state highway intersections in the entire state, so all boroughs qualify for this thread.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

hbelkins

Definitely not Lee County, Ky. We have no four-way state highway intersections. All of our bordering counties, however, do have four-way intersections.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on October 20, 2019, 08:15:48 AM
In the UP of Michigan:

• Alger
  • Baraga
  • Delta
  • Dickinson
  • Keweenaw
  • Iron
  • Marquette
  • Menominee
  • Schoolcraft
Emmet
Charlevoix
Montmorency
Alpena
Leelanau
Benzie
Grand Traverse
Kalkaska
Oscoda
Alcona
Manistee
Missaukee
Mason
Lake
Oceana
Newago
Montcalm
Huron
Sanilac
Hillsdale

Much of this is due to the propensity of highways to join each other for a short distance.  For example, an E-W route might meet a N-S route, travel concurrently with it for a few miles (or even as little as a few blocks, as in the case of Jonesville in Hillsdale County) and then strike off on it's own again.  This results in 2 intersections with 3-way connections, but no 4-way connection.
If I'm understanding the question right then just off the top of my head Sanillac County shouldn't be on the list. M-53 and M-46 intersect in the western part of the county and have all four directions as a state highway.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: US 89 on October 19, 2019, 01:11:54 PM
What counties do you know of that have no 4-way intersections or freeway interchanges where each leg is at least a state route? We've had a thread on counties without traffic lights, so I'm curious how that list compares to this one.

I'll start with Utah: Beaver, Daggett, Duchesne, Garfield, Kane, Rich, Tooele, Uintah, Wasatch, Washington, and Wayne County do not have any 4-way state highway junctions, which is a lot more than the 6 Utah counties without a traffic light.

While it won't qualify due to highway junctions, amazingly enough from what I can tell Salem County, NJ has no 4 way state or US route surface intersections.

NJ 140 and 48 T's at US 130 and both end at US 40.  NJ 45 and NJ 77 both end at NJ 49.  NJ 45 runs concurrent with US 40 for a little bit so that won't qualify.  And while NJ 77 and US 40 meet, it's actually at a 5 way traffic circle including a county road, not a 4 way intersection, so it doesn't meet the qualifications here either!

pdx-wanderer

Oregon has several, in addition to Coos County mentioned above:

Curry County
Lake County
Columbia County
Wheeler County
Grant County
Lincoln County
Clatsop County
Hood River County
Wallowa County

Del Norte County CA is another one.

ozarkman417

Missouri: (this list will be expanded, supplementary/Lettered Routes excluded)

Maries, Morgan

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on October 20, 2019, 03:36:19 PM
Definitely not Lee County, Ky. We have no four-way state highway intersections.

... so it would qualify, then.

wxfree

In Texas, my first thought was Terrell and Jeff Davis.  Of course, there's also Kenedy, which doesn't even have a second highway to intersect with US 77.  Checking a map, I also found Edwards and Kent.  I thought Mills was a good candidate, because none of the seven highways in Goldthwaite meet at a four-way, but there's one between two minor highways at the edge of the county.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

GaryV

Quote from: Flint1979 on October 20, 2019, 04:55:54 PM
Quote from: GaryV on October 20, 2019, 08:15:48 AM
In the UP of Michigan:

• Alger
  • Baraga
  • Delta
  • Dickinson
  • Keweenaw
  • Iron
  • Marquette
  • Menominee
  • Schoolcraft
Emmet
Charlevoix
Montmorency
Alpena
Leelanau
Benzie
Grand Traverse
Kalkaska
Oscoda
Alcona
Manistee
Missaukee
Mason
Lake
Oceana
Newago
Montcalm
Huron
Sanilac
Hillsdale

If I'm understanding the question right then just off the top of my head Sanillac County shouldn't be on the list. M-53 and M-46 intersect in the western part of the county and have all four directions as a state highway.
Sorry, my mistake.  Not the first time, and most likely won't be the last.   :spin:

NWI_Irish96

Predictably, almost all of Indiana's are in the southern (less flat) part of the state.  There are a few that get by on the technicality of two highways intersecting but being concurrent for a short distance so there is no intersection where all four directions are highways.  Also a few that are recent due to routes being decommissioned in cities:

Brown
Fayette
Floyd
Franklin
Johnson
Martin
Ohio
Owen
Posey
Washington
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

froggie

Quote from: thspfc on October 19, 2019, 07:07:49 PM
Probably several counties in upper MI as well. St Louis County, MN has only one, and that's a county of 200k people.

Three in St. Louis County.  The OP's definition includes interchanges.

There's only one county in Vermont that meets the OP's criteria:  Grand Isle.

paulthemapguy

Stark County, IL came to mind.  Every junction is either the start or end of a multiplex, or a T-intersection in the case of IL-91/93.  I'll also add Wabash, Edwards, and Calhoun County in Illinois to the list.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

TheHighwayMan3561

MN list: it has a lot more than you'd think because of the funny little "hop duplexes"  it has

Lake (only state highway junction is MN 1/MN 61; only other state route in the county is a sliver of MN 169)

Cook (only one state route)

Koochiching (became the case when MN 332 was decommissioned)

Houston

Lake of the Woods
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GaryV

Ottawa County MI went from having a 4-way to not having one and then back to having one.

Previously there was a 4-way connection at US-31 with Bus I-196.  However, when the business routes in Holland were turned back to city control, that intersection became a 3-way connection.

Then M-231 was created, which has a 4-way connection at M-104.  So Ottawa is again off the list.

formulanone

Florida
Monroe, Glades, Franklin, Gulf, Hendry* 

Alabama
Russell and Perry are the only two, as far as I can tell.

* If you want to be precise, there's also no four-way state-maintained intersections; but SR 29 makes a slight 330-foot jog/concurrency from Main Street to Bridge Street via SR 80 in La Belle, to continue north.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.