News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Tulsa Metro Highways | Small projects and construction

Started by Plutonic Panda, February 11, 2022, 05:33:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

Well the formula of taking a state's landmass comparing it to the percentage of the hilly or mountainous areas seems to give smaller states an advantage. Most of the earth doesn't seem to be too flat.

Scott5114

From looking at photos the Catskills and the Ouachitas are more or less comparable. So if Oklahoma is flat, so are the Catskills.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Scott5114

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 03:06:59 PM
Let's just compromise and say Oklahoma is boring.

just because we don't have county roads for people to touch doesn't mean we're boring

Plutonic Panda

If the east to west connector gets built we'll have a five stack at I-35 do with that information as you wish

swake

Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 01:28:27 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 23, 2022, 01:20:19 PM
I mean depending on how you look at it it isn't even in the top 20 flattest states.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/flattest-states
Funny how that map was made at the University of Kansas.  Someone didn't like Kansas being called flat... :D

The University of Kansas is on the top of Mt Oread. The school is very much not flat.

Rothman

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 23, 2022, 04:03:15 PM
If the east to west connector gets built we'll have a five stack at I-35 do with that information as you wish

Wow.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rte66man

When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

US 89

swake

rte66man

Quote from: swake on March 24, 2022, 06:17:56 PM
Here's the flat street being widened:

Many a time there would be an accident at 81st and Yale because someone couldn't stop coming don the hills on Yale from either direction.

-Yogi Berra

bugo

This is Oklahoma? Yes it is. This was taken in the Gloss Mountains, which are along US 412 between Enid and Woodward. It looks like you are several hundred miles to the west.

This is in the Ouachita Mountains.

Natural Falls, in the Ozark Mountains.

Washita River in the Arbuckle Mountains.

Wichita Mountains.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on March 27, 2022, 03:35:13 AM
This is Oklahoma? Yes it is.

Washita River in the Arbuckle Mountains.

Did you take this? If so, were you in Big Canyon?

-Yogi Berra

bugo

Bobby5280

Lots of people have been "discovering" the Wichita Mountains and the town of Medicine Park next door recently. It's insane how busy it can now be in Medicine Park on the weekends. The big challenge is finding a decent place to park. A lot of residential properties have been changing hands and radically driving up prices there. It's best to visit Medicine Park on a non-holiday weekend. The town is working on building a larger outdoor concert stage just to the South of the Park Tavern. I think the surroundings are scenic enough that they could eventually build a large scale amphitheater with several thousand permanent seats and a lawn able to hold another 10,000 or more sometime in the future.

It's a lot easier to drive around the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. The road to the top of Mount Scott was closed for over a year due to erosion damage. After repairs they first re-opened it to runners and bicyclists and now vehicles can drive to the top. There are several hiking trails up to the top of the mountain. Mount Scott isn't Pikes Peak, but the summit still offers some pretty impressive views. Management makes everyone leave at sunset unfortunately. The mountain road used to stay open well into night time hours.

The Wichita Mountains has a lot of different hiking and biking trails. I kind of like the one at Sunset going up Elk Mountain. It's a fairly long hike but pretty fun. BTW, the "best" time to do all the hiking has kind of passed. I think the first warm snaps during winter are the best and safest times along with certain periods in November after the first freeze. Stinging bugs are at the minimum. Snakes are still hibernating. It's beautiful to go hiking out there when trees and plants are starting to bloom. BUT, just wear long pants and hiking boots and keep an always keep an eye out for snakes.

Plutonic Panda

Broken Arrow seeks grant to widen street to 7 lanes

QuoteThe city of Broken Arrow has applied for a grant to widen a section of Lynn Lane Road, or Ninth Street, to seven lanes.

The city of Broken Arrow is seeking a $25 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation to support the Ninth Street Corridor Safety Improvement Project to improve traffic flow from Kenosha (71st) to Albany (61st) streets.

The proposed project would widen Ninth Street, also known as Lynn Lane Road and 177th East Avenue, from five to seven lanes – three lanes in each direction with a center turn lane and a new westbound entrance ramp to the Broken Arrow Expressway, Oklahoma 51.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/broken-arrow-seeks-grant-to-widen-street-to-7-lanes/article_6d7789fe-b9ae-11ec-b993-5f60d87f99b7.html

In_Correct

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 12, 2022, 01:29:13 AM
Broken Arrow seeks grant to widen street to 7 lanes

QuoteThe city of Broken Arrow has applied for a grant to widen a section of Lynn Lane Road, or Ninth Street, to seven lanes.

The city of Broken Arrow is seeking a $25 million grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation to support the Ninth Street Corridor Safety Improvement Project to improve traffic flow from Kenosha (71st) to Albany (61st) streets.

The proposed project would widen Ninth Street, also known as Lynn Lane Road and 177th East Avenue, from five to seven lanes – three lanes in each direction with a center turn lane and a new westbound entrance ramp to the Broken Arrow Expressway, Oklahoma 51.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/broken-arrow-seeks-grant-to-widen-street-to-7-lanes/article_6d7789fe-b9ae-11ec-b993-5f60d87f99b7.html

I Hate JQUERY.

In addition to mitigating congestion and traffic accidents, the proposed project will increase overall safety by constructing an area of separation between vehicles and pedestrians, the city said in a news release.

"We believe this is a critical infrastructure project for our community, and we enthusiastically support it,"  Wimpee said.

"We believe the project will greatly improve pedestrian and vehicular traffic flow in the area,"  she said. "This will allow lower-income residents better access to goods, services, recreational areas, and local places of employment."

The RAISE Grant, if awarded, would supplement existing local funds from the 2018 general obligation bond and possible state of Oklahoma funding.

Drive Safely. :sombrero: Ride Safely. And Build More Roads, Rails, And Bridges. :coffee: ... Boulevards Wear Faster Than Interstates.

MikieTimT

Oklahoma does have some boring parts, but the same can be said of most states.  It actually has more terrain types than almost any other state.  I've driven US-412 all the way across a couple of times now, and it takes more than a day to cross Oklahoma doing it unless you drive past daylight hours.  We stopped at Gloss Mtn. just 3 weeks ago on the way to Alma, CO for Spring Break for a leg stretch, pit stop and some picture taking, so funny Bugo's picture should pop up.  I find Oklahoma to be more scenic southeast of I-44 in general, Gloss Mtn. not withstanding.  Oklahoma is certainly no Illinois!  And section line roads and wind turbines aren't predominant features until you get out of the green country.

Scott5114

What most people that don't actually have experience with Oklahoma don't understand is that it's 8 different regions in a trenchcoat pretending to be a coherent state.

rte66man

-Yogi Berra

Plutonic Panda

will_e_777

Has ODOT put up any plans that show replacements for the cloverleaf at the BA Expressway and I-44?
Rocky Mountain man.

swake

Quote from: will_e_777 on April 21, 2022, 11:28:50 AM
Has ODOT put up any plans that show replacements for the cloverleaf at the BA Expressway and I-44?

ODOT has budgeted $6 million for right of way and utilities for 2025. But other than that, no.

They do have $5 million budgeted for the BA and US-169 for right of way and utilities in 2025 and another $31 million in 2027 for actual construction.

stevashe

Quote from: skluth on March 23, 2022, 01:54:47 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 23, 2022, 01:32:15 PM
Quote from: Rothman on March 23, 2022, 01:28:27 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 23, 2022, 01:20:19 PM
I mean depending on how you look at it it isn't even in the top 20 flattest states.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/state-rankings/flattest-states
Funny how that map was made at the University of Kansas.  Someone didn't like Kansas being called flat... :D
Hah I didn't catch that
It's not only Kansas that is flatter than Oklahoma by their criteria. It's Missouri (ever hear of the Ozarks), Wisconsin (has both the Canadian Shield and the Driftless Area), Virginia (I guess the western half including the Blue Ridge and Appalachians doesn't count), New York (Adirondacks, Catskills, etc), Pennsylvania (Alleghanies, etc), and California (yea, there's the Central Valley and Mojave, but the Sierra Nevada and Coastal Ranges aren't flat). OTOH, North Dakota and Illinois are among the least flat states by their criteria and both are ungodly flat with just a few hilly areas. The only real terrain in Kansas is the Flint Hills and they aren't all that hilly. That's the problem with garbage criteria. If I ever needed evidence to show garbage in -> garbage out, that might be Exhibit A.

Sorry this is a late reply, but umm... I think you read their table completely backwards, their rankings are exactly the opposite! Here's a summary:

The %Flattest column is the rating for percentage of the state is is completely flat, so a higher percentage here means the state is flatter.

Oklahoma's score for %Flattest is 3%.

The states you mentioned as being rated flatter all have the same or lower score for %Flattest (meaning they are actually rated less flat):
MO: 3%
WI, VA, CA: 2%
NY, PA: 1%

On the other hand, ND and IL are rated higher for %Flattest at 8% and 9%, respectively.

You can also look at the %Not Flat column if you want to look at it the other way, the scores there also line up with what you'd expect.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.