News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Corridor H

Started by CanesFan27, September 20, 2009, 03:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTGoose

Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2018, 05:23:14 PM
Anyone who drives too fast for pavement conditions deserves to meet a bridge wall up close in personal, IMHO. If I'm driving that road and it's snowy, I'm not doing over 35.

That goes without saying -- but given that "driving" isn't actually a learned skill these days, there are a lot of people who may be scuffing up those walls. The "daily wreck" on I-81 around here is a good example of that, when cars and trucks collide on a regular basis (or go into the ditch or guardrail) because people can't be bothered to pay attention to their main purpose of sitting behind the wheel.

"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

Beltway

Quote from: VTGoose on February 12, 2018, 09:43:15 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on February 09, 2018, 05:23:14 PM
Anyone who drives too fast for pavement conditions deserves to meet a bridge wall up close in personal, IMHO. If I'm driving that road and it's snowy, I'm not doing over 35.
That goes without saying -- but given that "driving" isn't actually a learned skill these days, there are a lot of people who may be scuffing up those walls. The "daily wreck" on I-81 around here is a good example of that, when cars and trucks collide on a regular basis (or go into the ditch or guardrail) because people can't be bothered to pay attention to their main purpose of sitting behind the wheel.

That photo looks like it was taken with a strong telephoto lens of at least 5x.  That greatly exaggerates the amount of curvature.  I would have to see it myself, but those curves may be easily negotiable at 60+ mph.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

seicer

It's with a 200mm telephoto. You can drive it fine at 75 MPH - considering it's on a steep downgrade from the Allegheny Front.

Roadsguy

Considering that the narrow and twisty 70 mph PA Turnpike can be safely driven at 80 when doing 10 over the limit, I'd say Corridor H would probably be good for at least a 70 mph speed limit if not for the intersections. In fact very few of the northeast/east coast's suburban and rural freeways should be any less than 70.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Beltway

Quote from: seicer on February 12, 2018, 10:38:13 AM
It's with a 200mm telephoto. You can drive it fine at 75 MPH - considering it's on a steep downgrade from the Allegheny Front.

IOW that would be 4x if 50mm was 1.0 as it is on my camera.  About what I estimated from looking at the photo.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

AsphaltPlanet

^ An equivalent focal length of 50mm isn't 1x.  It depends on the camera lens, but most zoom cameras start at about an equivalent focal length of about 24mm to 28mm.  A 200mm equivalent would therefore be about 8x.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Beltway

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 12, 2018, 02:26:12 PM
^ An equivalent focal length of 50mm isn't 1x.  It depends on the camera lens, but most zoom cameras start at about an equivalent focal length of about 24mm to 28mm.  A 200mm equivalent would therefore be about 8x.

My comments represent the one SLR that I have.

And the point was that the photo was taken with a strong telephoto lens.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

AsphaltPlanet

^ that's fine, but 50mm on a SLR is not 1x.

50mm (particularly on a crop-sensor SLR, which actually equates to an equivalent of 75mm) is actually a short telephoto lens, and is not as you described 1x.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

seicer

If you want to get technical, unless you have a full-frame 35 =mm sensor size in your SLR or camera, then you have to work with a conversion size.

For instance, a Nikon 200mm FX tele on a Nikon D810 is a 200mm FX tele. On a Nikon D5500, with a smaller sensor, it is a 320mm FX tele (1.6x conversion).

Then, there are those smaller sensors with specially made lenses for them. A 200mm DX tele on a Nikon D5500 is a 200mm DX tele. On a Nikon D810, it's a 200mm DX tele. The camera then essentially blacks out 38% of the sensor.

Without knowing the sensor size, it's hard to say that it is an 8x conversion or a 4x conversion.

AsphaltPlanet

^ Not really.

Without knowing the sensor size it is hard to tell if it's an 8x zoom vs a 12x zoom, but not if it's a 4x zoom.  The baseline for what a point an shoot camera considers 1x is pretty much always in the 24-28mm range.

And Nikon (and Sony) use a 1.5 crop factor, not a 1.6.

*edit* reading the above post again, I see you're point, you could use a crop-sensor lens on a full-frame sensor camera.  But... that's not something I would assume many people would do, (why spend extra money on a full-frame camera only to use it with a crop sensor lens, and forgoing the benefit of the full-frame sesnsor?).

seicer

Sorry, had Canon on my mind. As far as baselines go, it can vary with manufacturer and camera model, which is why it's nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

"Look at this camera from SoNiCanon! It has 20x zoom!" (When in reality, only a quarter of that is optical and the rest is compromised digital zoom.)

I think that at this point we are going well off topic, but let's just agree that it's a tele photo and pretty safe to drive at all high speeds. My highest speed on that segment - down a steep grade and over the bridge, is over 100 MPH. That was just before the segment opened to traffic.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: seicer on February 12, 2018, 03:59:57 PM
I think that at this point we are going well off topic, but let's just agree that it's a tele photo and pretty safe to drive at all high speeds. My highest speed on that segment - down a steep grade and over the bridge, is over 100 MPH. That was just before the segment opened to traffic.

I have seen the WVSP out there enforcing the posted 65 MPH limit, and also Grant County deputies presumably doing the same thing, in particular on the Allegheny Front grade.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

lepidopteran

Relocation of power lines to make way for the Kerens to Parsons section of Corridor H.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskKo8iAo

cpzilliacus

Quote from: lepidopteran on October 11, 2018, 07:38:16 PM
Relocation of power lines to make way for the Kerens to Parsons section of Corridor H.

https://flic.kr/s/aHskKo8iAo

I was out that way last summer, and the relocation of that transmission line (looks like it might be one 230kVA circuit) was well under way.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on February 13, 2018, 09:50:35 AM
Quote from: seicer on February 12, 2018, 03:59:57 PM

I have seen the WVSP out there enforcing the posted 65 MPH limit, and also Grant County deputies presumably doing the same thing, in particular on the Allegheny Front grade.

There are certainly a few parts of Corridor H where one can go really fast, but for the most part I've found much over 70 mph simply felt too fast in several places (surely this might vary in different vehicles, of course). I haven't seen much enforcement at all, though if they were out there it'd be easy to get nabbed due to the lack of traffic.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bitmapped

WVDEP has stopped construction on Corridor H in Randolph and Tucker Counties due to repeated violations of water quality permits by Kokosing Construction: https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/wv-dep-orders-stop-to-construction-on-corridor-h/article_06838d14-61c7-5ae5-93e1-9bdf3187cd04.html

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Bitmapped on October 16, 2018, 12:28:36 PM
WVDEP has stopped construction on Corridor H in Randolph and Tucker Counties due to repeated violations of water quality permits by Kokosing Construction: https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/wv-dep-orders-stop-to-construction-on-corridor-h/article_06838d14-61c7-5ae5-93e1-9bdf3187cd04.html

I certainly believe that the rain events  that have  hit the  area in September and thus far in October have been pretty big and intense.  But still, contractors have  a legal requirement to comply with Section 404 (of the Clean Water Act) permits having to do with water quality and that includes  stormwater runoff too.

Bitmapped

Quote from: cpzilliacus on October 16, 2018, 02:08:01 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on October 16, 2018, 12:28:36 PM

I certainly believe that the rain events  that have  hit the  area in September and thus far in October have been pretty big and intense.  But still, contractors have  a legal requirement to comply with Section 404 (of the Clean Water Act) permits having to do with water quality and that includes  stormwater runoff too.

It has been unusually wet, but the violations stretch back until December 2017 according to the article. WVDEP isn't known for strict enforcement (it's frequently called the Department of Employer Protection) so if they took action, I have to think the issues were pretty egregious.

seicer

https://www.transportation.gov/sites/dot.gov/files/docs/policy-initiatives/327856/build-2018-fact-sheets.pdf

Karens-Parsons Segment 5
Build Grant: $20 million
Total Cost: $42 million

"This project will construct approximately 10 miles of a 4-lane expressway as part of the Appalachian Development Highway System. The project includes paving, constructing traffic control devices and markings, and new guardrails."

"The project will improve the safety of existing travel options by offering an expressway with improved visibility, wide shoulders, and reduced conflict points. The new expressway will also facilitate movement of people and goods in an economically distressed area. The project will improve access to an area that is currently isolated due to an inadequate road network in the mountainous region and will provide a new network that will allow for significantly more efficient travel by offering a more direct route through the mountains."

hbelkins

It's so economically distressed that the Sheetz in Parsons closed a few months ago.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

$42 million for 10 miles seems awfully low given prevailing costs thus far for Corridor H, unless it's referring to a ~3.5mi extension of the existing under construction leg (shown as "open to traffic" on the BUILD project fact sheet...HA!) that the June 2018 update on the Corridor H project page mentions.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on December 11, 2018, 02:21:03 PM
It's so economically distressed that the Sheetz in Parsons closed a few months ago.

To be fair, that was a mini-Sheetz. Not many of those retro Sheetzes left. I've actually stopped at two of them in the past year or so (Corriganville and Hancock, MD). Quite subpar compared to the Sheetz experience we all know and love.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Beltway

Quote from: froggie on December 11, 2018, 05:10:29 PM
$42 million for 10 miles seems awfully low given prevailing costs thus far for Corridor H, unless it's referring to a ~3.5mi extension of the existing under construction leg (shown as "open to traffic" on the BUILD project fact sheet...HA!) that the June 2018 update on the Corridor H project page mentions.

I had the same reaction about the price, but if we take the second sentence literally, then it sounds like a paving contract, IOW the grading and drainage project was awarded previously.

"This project will construct approximately 10 miles of a 4-lane expressway as part of the Appalachian Development Highway System.  The project includes paving, constructing traffic control devices and markings, and new guardrails."

(Robert Coté, 2002)

seicer

Utility relocation and grading are done on precursor contracts and it can be years before anything further is done with paving. (See: US 121)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: hbelkins on December 11, 2018, 02:21:03 PM

Wow.  Was not aware of that.  Always seemed busy  when I drove by  there.  Wonder if they are going to tear the current one down and build a new store there?

Seems not, according to the Intermountain: Sheetz in Parsons set to close

I suppose the closest Sheetz stores now are in Elkins (about 35 miles south), or in Oakland, Maryland (about 35 miles north).

If Corridor H is completed (including from Moore to Davis, and the eastern part too), I suppose Parsons becomes more attractive to business (perhaps including Sheetz).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.