News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

New Year's Eve at a time zone border

Started by Buck87, December 31, 2018, 03:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on December 31, 2018, 04:39:35 PM
Plenty of places along the Indiana-Illinois border to do this. Of course you do have to be in the middle of nowhere. There's some county boundaries in Indiana where you can pull this off as well. I've actually thought about it before but I rather stay in New Year's Eve.

The easiest way to pull this off would be to live in LaPorte County, go to a bar in New Buffalo, Michigan, and then shortly after midnight, head home (with a designated driver or Uber) and hit midnight again at home.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

MikeTheActuary

You know, if you wanted to allow for more recovery time between portions of your NYE celebrations, there's always the Samoa » American Samoa option.

At New Year's, Samoa observes UTC+14
American Samoa observes UTC-11

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on December 31, 2018, 06:23:36 PM
I've read somewhere else that someone traveled to Samoa, entered the new year, then flew to American Samoa and once again celebrated the new year, 24 hours after the first one.

Quote from: kalvado on January 01, 2019, 04:45:17 PM
Samoa to American Samoa can be a surface option.

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 09, 2019, 09:42:06 AM
You know, if you wanted to allow for more recovery time between portions of your NYE celebrations, there's always the Samoa » American Samoa option.

And let's not forget Samoa.  You could always travel from there to American Samoa.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

adventurernumber1

Quote from: wxfree on January 09, 2019, 04:07:16 AM
Quote from: oscar on December 31, 2018, 06:00:27 PM
If you were sufficiently determined, you could celebrate New Year's on the international border between Yukon Territory (Pacific time zone) and Alaska (Alaska time zone). There are a few places within wide "no man's land" zones between border stations where you are unlikely to be hassled by customs agents. Indeed, one on the Alaska Highway has a bench where you can sit with one butt cheek in Pacific time and the other in Alaska time

I was taught never to do anything half-assed.  Doing two things half-assed at the same time would be shameful.

:clap:  :-D   :rofl:

That was my laugh of the day.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 09, 2019, 09:42:06 AM

You could use it as a time portal, to travel from 2018 to 2019 multiple times for hours.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

CNGL-Leudimin

If you time the trip from (Western) Samoa to American Samoa correctly you can go back two days in time :bigass:. But that requires doing so in the middle of the night.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

kalvado

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on January 10, 2019, 08:31:49 AM
If you time the trip from (Western) Samoa to American Samoa correctly you can go back two days in time :bigass:. But that requires doing so in the middle of the night.
I wonder if CBP would be there in the middle of the night...

sparker

Quote from: oscar on December 31, 2018, 06:00:27 PM
If you were sufficiently determined, you could celebrate New Year's on the international border between Yukon Territory (Pacific time zone) and Alaska (Alaska time zone). There are a few places within wide "no man's land" zones between border stations where you are unlikely to be hassled by customs agents. Indeed, one on the Alaska Highway has a bench where you can sit with one butt cheek in Pacific time and the other in Alaska time

I was taught never to do anything half-assed.  Doing two things half-assed at the same time would be shameful.

My uncle owned a boat called "Half Fast".  Still got a lot of folks wondering WTF that meant, so he just told them to "say it fast a few times!"  The response after doing so was generally "..............ooooooohhhhhh, right!  Real cute!" :biggrin:

MNHighwayMan

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing." —Ron Swanson

US 81

OK, there's not much to do in rural west Texas. It used to be a thing, that on New Year's Eve everyone drank a few beers in the bed of the pickup truck, then drove down the road to Hudspeth County and did it again.

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 11, 2019, 03:28:46 AM

"Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing." —Ron Swanson

I have some pretty vast ideas, and I don't want to do anything half-vast.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.