News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Longmeadow Parkway corridor

Started by I-39, July 22, 2015, 05:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tribar

Quote from: Brandon on July 24, 2015, 06:32:27 PM
Quote from: I-39 on July 24, 2015, 05:23:41 PM
Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I understand the toll roads are the best around, because ISTHA is an innovative thinking agency that generates their own revenue. But they should not have control of every major commuter route in Chicagoland (basically they already do in the suburbs).

Thanks for trowing Joliet and the south suburbs under the bus.  What the hell are I-55, the Ryan, I-57, and Calumet Expressway?  Chopped liver?

Ok, that can stop now.  The fact is while there are exceptions, more than half of interstate miles in the Chicago suburbs are tolled. 

johndoe780

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, I understand the toll roads are the best around, because ISTHA is an innovative thinking agency that generates their own revenue. But they should not have control of every major commuter route in Chicagoland (basically they already do in the suburbs).

Thanks for trowing Joliet and the south suburbs under the bus.  What the hell are I-55, the Ryan, I-57, and Calumet Expressway?  Chopped liver?

You're right, let's start building toll booths on those highways too.

dietermoreno

So what happens if you drive the bridge without an IPass?  Will you be able to pay online, or will it automatically become a violation with a violation mailed to you?  Same question for the EOWA.  I've heard ISTHA is working on a way of collecting tolls with smart phones, but I doubt that will ever happen due to privacy concerns from GPS tracking every vehicle with the app turned on.

ET21

Quote from: I-39 on July 24, 2015, 06:46:28 PM

I-290 is the free gateway to the northwest suburbs and free ;)

My bad. They are the only exception. If you want to get to downtown without paying tolls, you can, but you still only have I-355 and I-294 for suburb to suburb commutes.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Brandon

Quote from: johndoe780 on July 24, 2015, 07:12:40 PM

Actually, there are people here who wish I-80 and I-55 were tollways.  Then we'd actually have really good roads that were wide enough to accommodate the traffic flow.  We see how good the interstates are to Elgin, Waukegan, and Aurora, and wish we had their interstates.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

johndoe780

Quote from: Brandon on July 25, 2015, 08:50:44 PM

Actually, there are people here who wish I-80 and I-55 were tollways.  Then we'd actually have really good roads that were wide enough to accommodate the traffic flow.  We see how good the interstates are to Elgin, Waukegan, and Aurora, and wish we had their interstates.

I-80 was just converted to 6 lanes near I-355 last year, I-55 was converted to 6 lanes from Weber rd to I-80 back in 2008. 90/94 on the south side was converted to the mega highway it is today 10 years ago.

What investments has IDOT made to 290, 190 or 90/94 on the north side in the last decade?

Oh, we pay the price for those roads. However the older highways like 90, 88, and 294 are very reasonable when it comes to toll.

Stratuscaster

Wasn't the removal relocation of the I-290 "Hillside Strangler" done within the last decade?

tribar

Quote from: Stratuscaster on July 26, 2015, 06:53:19 PM
Wasn't the removal relocation of the I-290 "Hillside Strangler" done within the last decade?

I think it was closer to 15 years ago. 

ET21

Quote from: johndoe780 on July 25, 2015, 09:00:11 PM

I-80 was just converted to 6 lanes near I-355 last year, I-55 was converted to 6 lanes from Weber rd to I-80 back in 2008. 90/94 on the south side was converted to the mega highway it is today 10 years ago.

What investments has IDOT made to 290, 190 or 90/94 on the north side in the last decade?

Oh, we pay the price for those roads. However the older highways like 90, 88, and 294 are very reasonable when it comes to toll.

290 north of the I-355 merge was enhanced to 10 lanes each direction about 8-9 years ago. So far the only Kennedy projects have been the Ohio feeder redo, the Jane Byrne (290 and 90/94), and Cumberland was redone just last year.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ET21 on July 27, 2015, 10:49:32 PM
Quote from: johndoe780 on July 25, 2015, 09:00:11 PM

290 north of the I-355 merge was enhanced to 10 lanes each direction about 8-9 years ago. So far the only Kennedy projects have been the Ohio feeder redo, the Jane Byrne (290 and 90/94), and Cumberland was redone just last year.

I-290 immediately North of the I-355 merge has been 10 lanes for over 20 years. In fact, I think this configuration has existed since I-355 opened. However, the portion North of IL-390 to just North of IL-72 was rebuilt about 10 years ago, and it was enhanced to have 8 through lanes and 2 auxiliary lanes. The biggest improvement was probably the stretch right near Woodfield where the Northbound merge from four to 3 lanes before the split into local/express was eliminated (though the area overall is still a bottleneck, mostly due to the I-90 interchange, it used to be much worse). However, IDOT has done very little in the North/NW Suburbs since then.

Getting back on topic. I get the feeling this is going to cause a major traffic surge on Algonquin Road. Surely IDOT will need to finally widen the stretch between IL-68 and IL-25.

Revive 755

Kane County has posted preliminary plans for supposedly the next section of Longmeadow that will be let, west of Randall to west of IL 31:  Link (79 MB pdf).

Kane County also appears to have already let a tree removal contract for Longmeadow between Huntley Road and Randall Road:  Bid tab for the project.

Revive 755

Kane County has let the first construction contract for Longmeadow, which will include redoing the Huntley Road/Boyer Road intersection, but the new construction under this contract will stop short of Randall Road.  Bid tab for Section A1 of Longmeadow Parkway.

johndoe780

http://kanecountyconnects.com/2016/02/county-municipal-officials-break-ground-on-longmeadow-parkway-project/

Construction broke ground.

75 cents for the toll to cross the fox river isn't bad. Not sure if the recent Federal transportation bill FAST act had any funding for longmeadow.

quickshade

Interesting to note that if they get any further funding it would be used to pay back for the bridge. Considering one of the secondary issues in the presidential candidates running is infrastructure rebuilding I could see this getting additional funding down the road. Although $.75 is not bad and nothing to complain about.

Revive 755

Quote from: johndoe780 on March 06, 2016, 02:44:52 PM
75 cents for the toll to cross the fox river isn't bad. Not sure if the recent Federal transportation bill FAST act had any funding for longmeadow.

At least they are keeping fairly close to the cost to cross the Fox River on I-90 (75 cents if one gets on/off at Randall, 65 cents if one gets on/off at IL 31).

Revive 755

Kane County is having a public meeting regarding the reevaluation of the EIS for Longmeadow Parkway, and has posted the reevaluation documents: http://www.co.kane.il.us/dot/foxBridges/longmeadowPkwy.aspx

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 29, 2016, 11:09:53 PM
Kane County is having a public meeting regarding the reevaluation of the EIS for Longmeadow Parkway, and has posted the reevaluation documents: http://www.co.kane.il.us/dot/foxBridges/longmeadowPkwy.aspx

It's amazing we get anything built these days! They do an EIS, and now they have to RE-EVALUATE it???? No wonder our infrastructure can't keep up! This is a perfectly sensible route and would improve mobility in the area greatly. Here's the thing, fumes are not good for the environment... why can't people understand this as well???

Rothman

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 31, 2016, 09:17:17 PM

It's amazing we get anything built these days! They do an EIS, and now they have to RE-EVALUATE it???? No wonder our infrastructure can't keep up! This is a perfectly sensible route and would improve mobility in the area greatly. Here's the thing, fumes are not good for the environment... why can't people understand this as well???

You can't do an EIS years ago and expect it to pass federal muster today.  I forget what the expiration date is on them, but you do have to update them when necessary.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Revive 755

The Longmeadow/Huntley Road/Boyer Road intersection appears to be mostly complete.  Longmeadow east of this intersection appears ready to open - though I believe they are waiting for the Randall Road intersection to be built before they will do so.

Revive 755

The next section of Longmeadow Parkway, A2-B1/west of Randall to about 2/3rd's of the way to IL 31 is going to be on IDOT's January 2017 Letting:  See Page 61 of 101.  Plans will be posted here.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: Rothman on August 31, 2016, 03:57:03 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 31, 2016, 09:17:17 PM

You can't do an EIS years ago and expect it to pass federal muster today.  I forget what the expiration date is on them, but you do have to update them when necessary.

Usually, a Re-Evaluation of an completed EIS/ROD or an EA/FONSI is mandated if more than 3 years passes from the date of signature of a completed ROD or FONSI and no construction or final design is taken. It has to be done to take into considerations changes in the natural and physical environment since the original documentation was completed, and if any additional or expanded studies (through a Supplemental EIS or a totally new from scratch EIS) are deemed necessary.

Revive 755

Dusting off this thread . . .

Kane County has posted bid documents for the Fox River Bridge portion of Longmeadow Parkway, with bids to be opened October 2.  Link to posting.  Link to plans.

Revive 755

Google Earth has updated imagery showing progress on Sections B2 (includes IL 31) and D (the IL 62 intersection) of Longmeadow.

Revive 755

Google Earth now has a section of updated imagery showing progress on Longmeadow, including the Fox River Bridge and a mostly complete Section D (IL 25 to IL 62)

edwaleni

Bolz & Sandbloom, showing the Fox River bridge under construction.

The east terminus at Algonquin Road.

The prep work for the IL-25 overpass.

Looking west

Looking east.

Ongoing work at IL-31

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.