News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

I-265 Ohio River Bridge

Started by mgk920, March 06, 2012, 11:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 27, 2018, 11:09:54 AM
I have no idea what the holdup is in getting IN 265/KY 861 designated as I-265 between I-65 and I-71.

Have Indiana and Kentucky applied to FHWA/AASHTO for the designation?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

Quote from: Moose on February 27, 2018, 11:32:34 AM
I wonder now how they handle rental cars.

Good question. I imagine the rental companies should be able to know who had possession of their car at the time of the toll being recorded, and can forward the bill to them/charge them for it.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on February 27, 2018, 11:34:04 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on February 27, 2018, 11:09:54 AM
I have no idea what the holdup is in getting IN 265/KY 861 designated as I-265 between I-65 and I-71.

Have Indiana and Kentucky applied to FHWA/AASHTO for the designation?

I don't know.  I no longer live in the area so wouldn't have seen any local news coverage of the process of applying for and receiving the designation.  I can't think of a reason why they would be waiting.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

AsphaltPlanet

Quote from: Buck87 on February 27, 2018, 11:59:09 AM

Good question. I imagine the rental companies should be able to know who had possession of their car at the time of the toll being recorded, and can forward the bill to them/charge them for it.

I blew a toll with a Canadian rental car on the Illinois Turnpike and forgot to pay by mail (as I had intended to do), the rental agency tracked me down.

I did Texas Toll Highway 130 a few years ago in a rental car, and was never billed, and (as I mentioned up thread) I've driven both Louisville bridges in a rental car and not been billed for that.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

thefro

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 27, 2018, 02:18:47 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on February 27, 2018, 11:59:09 AM

I blew a toll with a Canadian rental car on the Illinois Turnpike and forgot to pay by mail (as I had intended to do), the rental agency tracked me down.

I did Texas Toll Highway 130 a few years ago in a rental car, and was never billed, and (as I mentioned up thread) I've driven both Louisville bridges in a rental car and not been billed for that.

Probably depends on how many tolls you rack up.  Can't imagine it's worth it to chase someone down for $4.

AsphaltPlanet

^ I'm kind of surprised how difficult it can be to pay tolls online.  This is getting off topic, but after I drove Highway 130 in Texas I actively tried to pay my toll online by entering the car's licence plate number on their website.  The website never indicated a record of the transaction for my trip for me to pay.  I don't know if the toll road operators do that for privacy reasons or what, but it seems like a missed opportunity for a toll road operator.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

TheStranger

Quote from: thefro on February 28, 2018, 10:17:02 AM

Probably depends on how many tolls you rack up.  Can't imagine it's worth it to chase someone down for $4.

7.5 years ago, I was in Austin for a friend's wedding and used Texas Toll SH 183A in a rental car - a few weeks later, got the bill (even though I had asked the rental car company when I booked if they would cover the fees, and they had said so) at my Sacramento residence I was living in back then.

Toll was probably something like $3 total.
Chris Sampang

seicer

Ditto. I didn't have a transponder so it was pay-by-plate on SR 183A.

gilpdawg

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on February 28, 2018, 11:36:58 AM
^ I'm kind of surprised how difficult it can be to pay tolls online.  This is getting off topic, but after I drove Highway 130 in Texas I actively tried to pay my toll online by entering the car's licence plate number on their website.  The website never indicated a record of the transaction for my trip for me to pay.  I don't know if the toll road operators do that for privacy reasons or what, but it seems like a missed opportunity for a toll road operator.
It took me 2 months to get my invoice from the 65 bridge, then when I paid online they double charged my card. I'm not going to raise a fuss over 4 extra bucks, but imagine how many extra dollars they are making if this is a regular occurrence.

iPad

tidecat

I work for a company that rents tractor trailers -  it has been a nightmare dealing with River Link, and even River Link has told us to visit them in person when adding or removing a truck.
Clinched: I-264 (KY), I-265 (KY), I-359 (AL), I-459 (AL), I-865 (IN)

AsphaltPlanet

I put together a video tour of the new Louisville Bridges from last summer:

Buck87

Thanks for posting. Though it was too bad you didn't actually cross the new span on I-65.

AsphaltPlanet

^ That's a fair point.  It's been sometime since I did the drive obviously, but I think the reason that I went the direction that I did is that I would have been driving straight into the morning sun on I-265 if I had have traveled in the clockwise direction.  After I had driven both bridges, I didn't really want to foot the bill for another toll on I-65 to go north, though that would have been a moot point since I never got a bill anyways.

Henry

Looking at the I-65 bridges, one has to wonder how long they plan on keeping the old southbound span up? That northbound span looks very cool indeed!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

hbelkins

Quote from: Henry on March 15, 2018, 09:53:29 AM
Looking at the I-65 bridges, one has to wonder how long they plan on keeping the old southbound span up? That northbound span looks very cool indeed!

Indefinitely. It's only 50 years old, underwent a major rehab after the northbound bridge was built, and basically half of the traffic it once carried is now switched over to the new bridge.

seicer

A lot of structural members - mainly the floor beams, were also replaced.

Moose

The riverlink facebook page is a a good read if you look at the comments.

There are a WHOLE lot of p/o people down there.

https://www.facebook.com/RiverLinkTolls/

bmeiser

FWIW my fiancé and I traveled over the I65 bridges on the way to and from Nashville the first weekend in March and I already received and paid my $8 bill. Seemed to work as expected in my case.

Moose

16 million dollars just to run the toll authority... money that isn't going to retiring the bonds.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/37830991/it-cost-nearly-16-million-to-run-riverlink-last-year-where-did-that-money-go

Great Lakes Roads

Thread bump- got some exciting news! The AASHTO just approved the designation of I-265 from I-65 in Indiana to I-71 in Kentucky! As for the Indiana State Route 265, it will get deleted and upgrades itself into an interstate.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v3-app_crowdc/assets/3/31/31119030d9a75754/Final_Report_to_CHS_USRN_Application_Results_Spring_2019.original.1558475352.pdf?1558475353

On the funny side of things, the news media already calls that section as "Interstate 265" even though it is signed as Indiana State Route 265.

hbelkins

Haven't heard any official communication from KYTC on when it will be signed.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on June 04, 2019, 01:52:59 PM
Thread bump- got some exciting news! The AASHTO just approved the designation of I-265 from I-65 in Indiana to I-71 in Kentucky! As for the Indiana State Route 265, it will get deleted and upgrades itself into an interstate.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/v3-app_crowdc/assets/3/31/31119030d9a75754/Final_Report_to_CHS_USRN_Application_Results_Spring_2019.original.1558475352.pdf?1558475353

On the funny side of things, the news media already calls that section as "Interstate 265" even though it is signed as Indiana State Route 265.

Only 2.5 Years to get the bridge marked as I-265, Indiana and Kentucky moved quickly on this one!

Henry

I knew this was going to happen! A complete I-265 is what Louisville needed, and now they have it.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: hbelkins on June 04, 2019, 04:14:55 PM
Haven't heard any official communication from KYTC on when it will be signed.

At the current rate on this project, another 2.5 years...

ilpt4u

In addition to updated Route markers, I hope Bypass-like Controls are installed

Proposal:
From I-64/IN: 265 East/Inner Indy/Cincy
From I-65/IN: 265 East/Inner Cincy/Lexington; 265 West/Outer St Louis
From I-71: 265 South/Inner Lexington/Nashville; 265 North/Outer Indy/St Louis
From I-64/KY: 265 South/Inner Nashville; 265 North/Outer Cincy/Indy
From I-65/KY: 265 East/Outer Lexington/Cincy

Yes, I know KY presently uses "Gene Synder Freeway" in lieu of Controls on 265...take a lesson from IDOT where the Freeway Name, Shield, AND Control can be signed. Put Gene Snyder Freeway up in smaller Font under the Direction next to the Shield

KYTC might as well Decommission KY 841 beyond the I-65/265 junction now. It is an unnecessary redundancy now, with the route north/east of I-71 now officially I-265

Does anyone know if KYTC & InDOT plan to unify Route Mile Markers and Exit Numbers? I would assume InDOT would be mostly on the hook there, signage-wise. There are examples of other 3DIs that both reset mileage at state lines and that count continuously across state lines

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.