What is the best dish that you have ever had?

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 23, 2018, 08:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

I love food, so I can't possibly pick, but what is yours?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

I had some fish and chips once at a restaurant in Ruidoso New Mexico that comes to mind.  The place was some Irish Pub on Sudderth Drive which didn't appear to be all that fancy.  The fish and chips were cooked to absolute perfection...not too dry or too soft, just perfect.  Whenever I went there on work trips I had a fantastic meal, shame I can't remember what the name of that place was called.  I've typically found the best food is usually at little weird mom and pop places like that. 

ce929wax

I like soups and casseroles, so anything along those lines will do me fine, as long as it doesn't have onions or stewed tomatoes (rotel et al.) in it.  I also like pasta and pizza. 

Best restaurant I have ever eaten it is Copeland's of New Orleans in Baton Rouge, LA.

qguy

Excellent question, Rgt, I part because it's so difficult to answer.

I've had some truly outstanding dishes over the years. Some of the food I ate in Korea and Japan was memorable. I've enjoyed many great meals when I lived in Philadelphia. Something as simple as a well-designed crêpe can really float my boat. There's Indian. Thai. Where I live now, about an hour and a half west of Phila, there's a restaurant called Trattoria Frattelli whose food I would put up up against anything I've ever had in Philadelphia.

Of course, my wife is a great cook who makes Indian- and Thai-inspired food that is truly addictive. (And made with love and all that...) So, the best dish I've had is the most recent thing she cooked. Mushy? Sure, but I'm a man blessed among men.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: ce929wax on December 23, 2018, 09:00:59 PM
I like soups and casseroles, so anything along those lines will do me fine, as long as it doesn't have onions or stewed tomatoes (rotel et al.) in it.  I also like pasta and pizza. 

Best restaurant I have ever eaten it is Copeland's of New Orleans in Baton Rouge, LA.
I like this stuff to! What does Copeland's serve?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ce929wax

Copeland's serves cajun food, pasta's, steaks and burgers. 

Their website can be found here: https://www.copelandsofneworleans.com/clearview-menu

TheHighwayMan3561

Was a place called Long Wong's in Tempe. Best mac and cheese ever. Sadly they were razed for Mill Avenue's urban renewal long ago.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

This thread has a lot of potential, but it really needs to be categorized.

I could go on, and on. Pick a specific food, and then I can tell you what my favorite is.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on December 24, 2018, 08:48:33 AM

I could go on, and on. Pick a specific food, and then I can tell you what my favorite is.
What's your favorite dessert? 

plain

I'll go for any good Mexican restaurant that has Chori Pollo (I order mines w/o the beans though).

And no dessert in the world beats my mama's rice pudding!!!
Newark born, Richmond bred

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 24, 2018, 09:37:28 AM
What's your favorite dessert?

Still tough!

I like chocolate, but I actually prefer desserts with fruit, and especially anything with a lot of almond/vanilla flavoring. I'm going to have to choose peach kuchen. Cheesecake Factory has some really good options, too.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Either a plastic McDonalds bowl that has lasted 30+ years, or some orange margarine dish that has lasted almost 40 years.
Unless you mean China for dish, in which case I have none. Our longest lasting China dishes were narrow and thin, and mom made us use them for ice cream as kids.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 24, 2018, 10:50:46 PM
Either a plastic McDonalds bowl that has lasted 30+ years, or some orange margarine dish that has lasted almost 40 years.
Unless you mean China for dish, in which case I have none. Our longest lasting China dishes were narrow and thin, and mom made us use them for ice cream as kids.
Yeah, it's tough for me, I like old fashioned plates though.

qguy

This.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: qguy on December 26, 2018, 10:35:25 PM

This.
What's your favorite salad?

adventurernumber1

I can't pinpoint one specific dish that is my # 1 favorite, as there are so many contenders.

When it comes to sandwiches, my favorite might be one sandwich at a local restaurant in Chattanooga, TN, which is 1885 Grill. I don't think I've ever had a bad dish period at that place.

I had some incredibly good tacos (possibly the best tacos I've ever had) at this one place far away on a trip, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was and what trip it was on (I just know it was in the last couple of years).

My favorite burger (which had duck on it) might be at this one restaurant near Jackson, Wyoming (unless I'm confusing that with a different trip).

My favorite seafood would definitely have been at a fresh-caught food restaurant somewhere near the coast, whether in Florida, South Carolina, Massachusetts, or wherever.

There was a restaurant in Telluride, Colorado that had some incredibly amazing Thai food.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 23, 2018, 08:39:01 PM
I had some fish and chips once at a restaurant in Ruidoso New Mexico that comes to mind.  The place was some Irish Pub on Sudderth Drive which didn't appear to be all that fancy.  The fish and chips were cooked to absolute perfection...not too dry or too soft, just perfect.  Whenever I went there on work trips I had a fantastic meal, shame I can't remember what the name of that place was called.  I've typically found the best food is usually at little weird mom and pop places like that. 

Those small mom and pop restaurants really do have the tendency to have some real incredible food there. I've had so many great meals at places like that.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 26, 2018, 11:21:31 PM

Those small mom and pop restaurants really do have the tendency to have some real incredible food there. I've had so many great meals at places like that.

Really I never would have thought New Mexico would be a place for an excellent plate of fish & chips.  I walked into that place once during a snow storm and it turned out to be top notch.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on December 26, 2018, 11:21:31 PM
I can't pinpoint one specific dish that is my # 1 favorite, as there are so many contenders.

When it comes to sandwiches, my favorite might be one sandwich at a local restaurant in Chattanooga, TN, which is 1885 Grill. I don't think I've ever had a bad dish period at that place.

I had some incredibly good tacos (possibly the best tacos I've ever had) at this one place far away on a trip, but for the life of me I can't remember where it was and what trip it was on (I just know it was in the last couple of years).

My favorite burger (which had duck on it) might be at this one restaurant near Jackson, Wyoming (unless I'm confusing that with a different trip).

My favorite seafood would definitely have been at a fresh-caught food restaurant somewhere near the coast, whether in Florida, South Carolina, Massachusetts, or wherever.

There was a restaurant in Telluride, Colorado that had some incredibly amazing Thai food.

They have Thai restaurants in the middle of nowhere Colorado?

abefroman329

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 26, 2018, 11:11:40 PM
Quote from: qguy on December 26, 2018, 10:35:25 PM

This.
What's your favorite salad?
Caprese. Of lettuce-based salads, Caesar. Or fresh spinach leaves tossed in olive oil.

roadman

My favorite dessert is Boston Cream Pie.  The best Boston Cream Pie I ever had was at a seafood restaurant in Boston (natch) called Dini's (now closed).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.