News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Is Caltrans giving up on non-freeway state routes in SoCal?

Started by Quillz, July 14, 2016, 08:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coatimundi

Quote from: cahwyguy on July 17, 2016, 11:21:56 AM
Perhaps it is there because a segment of 1 does end there. Legal definition, minus relinquishment mumbojumbo:

I feel like they don't often have "End 1" signs because it freaks out the tourists who are trying to stick to it exclusively. SR 1 is signed on a BGS as being multiplexed with I-280 south of SF, even though it's not. I thought I had seen a "Begin 1" sign on the Marin side of the Golden Gate a few years ago, but I'm either wrong or they've removed it.

TheStranger

Quote from: coatimundi on July 17, 2016, 05:08:52 PM
SR 1 is signed on a BGS as being multiplexed with I-280 south of SF, even though it's not.

1/280 concurrency through Daly City has been signed for decades pretty consistently, it's a short freeway segment though (from where the Southern Freeway and Junipero Serra Freeway split at John Daly Boulevard, to the southern 1/280 split over near D Street).

Chris Sampang

mrsman

Quote from: Quillz on July 14, 2016, 09:15:25 PM
Quote from: djsekani on July 14, 2016, 08:57:28 PM
I did read somewhere that Caltrans wanted to relinquish all state highways that mostly went through urban areas, but I think they're going to keep the inter-city routes.

If the routes are relinquished, don't expect them to be signed anywhere except on a map, or maybe at a freeway exit. Local governments are supposed to maintain continuation signage, but I have yet to see one instance where that's actually been the case. In Southern California alone, signage for routes 2 (Santa Monica Blvd section), 19, 39, 47, 66, 72, 83, 90, 107, 111 (Coachella Valley section), 187, and 213 are sparse at best.
Huh... So the brain-dead policies continue.

That really annoys me, the signage. I've mentioned before that I, and I would assume most motorists, don't give one iota of a care who maintains the route, we just want signage to be maintained for navigation purposes. Plenty of other states are good at doing this, I don't know why California can't do so with the local communities.

What I have never understood with regard to the relinquishments is that these city streets were once signed very well with green miner spades by Caltrans while the street was under Caltrans' jurisdiction.  Then, the section of roadway becomes under city control.  Did Caltrans take the green signs away?  Do they all fall off the lamposts?  It seems to me that if the city just simply did nothing as far as the signage was concerned - the motoring public would be better off than what we face now.

Quillz

Quote from: mrsman on July 19, 2016, 12:14:28 AM
Quote from: Quillz on July 14, 2016, 09:15:25 PM
Quote from: djsekani on July 14, 2016, 08:57:28 PM
I did read somewhere that Caltrans wanted to relinquish all state highways that mostly went through urban areas, but I think they're going to keep the inter-city routes.

If the routes are relinquished, don't expect them to be signed anywhere except on a map, or maybe at a freeway exit. Local governments are supposed to maintain continuation signage, but I have yet to see one instance where that's actually been the case. In Southern California alone, signage for routes 2 (Santa Monica Blvd section), 19, 39, 47, 66, 72, 83, 90, 107, 111 (Coachella Valley section), 187, and 213 are sparse at best.
Huh... So the brain-dead policies continue.

That really annoys me, the signage. I've mentioned before that I, and I would assume most motorists, don't give one iota of a care who maintains the route, we just want signage to be maintained for navigation purposes. Plenty of other states are good at doing this, I don't know why California can't do so with the local communities.

What I have never understood with regard to the relinquishments is that these city streets were once signed very well with green miner spades by Caltrans while the street was under Caltrans' jurisdiction.  Then, the section of roadway becomes under city control.  Did Caltrans take the green signs away?  Do they all fall off the lamposts?  It seems to me that if the city just simply did nothing as far as the signage was concerned - the motoring public would be better off than what we face now.
My guess is sign theft (there are a lot of CA-23 and US-101 shields missing, the latter around the Ventura area), as opposed to Caltrans deliberately removing the spades. Besides, from what I understand, relinquishment still means that spades must be visible for navigation purposes, so it wouldn't be in Caltrans interest to remove them. But hard to say, really. I wouldn't be surprised if the spades were simply decades old and fell off (perhaps their supports rusted).

Avalanchez71

I would think theft and age.  Why would the city take them down?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.