News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Three closest states that you have not driven in

Started by ZLoth, July 17, 2023, 12:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From where you are living now, what are the three closest states that you have never driven even a mile in. I took out the measuring tools of Google Earth, and found that my three closest states were:

• Missouri
  • Kansas (by just a couple of miles)
  • Mississippi
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

Rothman

The only state in which I was driven in, but did not drive, is Oklahoma.  I have driven in all 49 of the other states.

Canadian Provinces:

Quebec: I have been driven in and walked into Quebec, but I have not driven myself.

PEI:  Been driven in, but I did not drive.

Manitoba:  Have not visited.

Mexican Estados:

Tamaulipas, Nuevo Leon, Coahuila: Not visited
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

zzcarp

So many miles and so many roads

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JayhawkCO

MATraveler128

Decommission 128 south of Peabody!

Lowest untraveled number: 56

ozarkman417

corco

In the U.S. (though I have been a passenger):
Florida
Hawaii

Including Canadian provinces
1. New Brunswick
2. Prince Edward Island
3. Nova Scotia

GaryV

New Jersey (although I was on a charter bus there)
Delaware
Connecticut

1995hoo

I'm not sure whether Rhode Island or Vermont is closer to home. I've been a passenger in both of those on family vacations as a kid, but I haven't driven in either.

The next-closest after those is Michigan, which falls into the same category (I've only been there once, on a family vacation when I was 14 that included a trip to Isle Royale).

Taking a cue from corco to add Canadian provinces: 1. New Brunswick; 2. PEI; 3. Newfoundland. (Again, I've been a passenger in all three, mostly recently on a 1989 Boy Scout trip to PEI for the Canadian Jamboree–we drove from Virginia to PEI and, while I was old enough to drive, the troop's liability insurance would not provide coverage if someone under age 18 were to drive.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Since I've now revisited all the states I hit on family trips as a teenager, the only three I have not driven in are the three I have never been to, Alaska, Hawaii, and West Virginia.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

wanderer2575

In order of increasing distance:  New Jersey, Minnesota (almost identical distance for these two), and South Carolina.  Alabama is a very close fourth.

I've driven in Ontario and Quebec.  All the other Canadian provinces are farther from me than these states.

CoreySamson

Here are mine:

1. Alabama
2. Florida (the only state I have been to with a driver's license but not driven in)
3. New Mexico

To be fair, however, there are 3 Mexican provinces that are all closer to where I live than the 3 above states, which are:

1. Tamaliupas
2. Nuevo León
3. Coahuila
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

Ted$8roadFan

Big John

Missouri (passenger only)
South Dakota
Nebraska

flan

Michigan
(Ontario)
Nebraska
(Manitoba)
Missouri

I've been to Manitoba and Nebraska, but both were before I got my license.

Konza

Chihuahua
Baja California Sur
Sinaloa

All are closer to me (as is most of Mexico) to the only US state in which I have not driven, which is Alaska.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

jp the roadgeek

Mine (distances approximate as the crow flies)

(Quebec 235 miles)
(Ontario 255 miles)
(New Brunswick 370 miles)
(Nova Scotia 375 miles)
North Carolina 385 miles
Ohio 395 miles
Michigan 513 miles

Been to Quebec and North Carolina before I got my license.  Rest I haven't been to
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

clong

Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey - on a charter bus for both my trips through these states

Been in 42 states, driven in 34 of them

zachary_amaryllis

clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

dlsterner

From home base in Maryland, distance as the crow flies.  Including any Canadian provinces that could make the list.

Illinois   (was there for a conference, flew into Midway and only rode shuttle busses.  It was flat.)
Wisconsin     (have never visited; maybe this September?)
(New Brunswick)
(Nova Scotia)
Missouri     (changed planes at Lambert; never left the airport [on the ground].)

If I get Wisconsin this September, then Arkansas (never visited) moves into the top three.

JKRhodes

1. Kansas
2. Nebraska
3. Oregon (passenger only)

Including Mexican states:

1. Chihuahua
2. Baja California (passenger only)
3. Sinaloa

*edit* I guess if I wanna get technical, Sonora should be #1 because I drove less than a mile; crossed into Agua Prieta by accident, turned around first chance I got and made a beeline back to the border. Customs agents had a jolly good time messing with me over that. .

FrCorySticha

1. (British Columbia - Should rectify this some time)
2. Arizona
3. New Mexico
4. (Northwest Territories)
5. (Nunavut)
6. Alaska

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.